Malware: What is it and how to get rid of
This article Explains:
- What is Malware,
- Symptoms of infection,
- Attack sources,
- Preventive measures and solution to Get Rid of it.
Read the guide carefully to understand the term “Malware”.
What is Malware
Malware is a term used to describe the unwanted,harmful and malicious software program that gets installed on the computer. Such software programs are purposefully designed by cyber-criminals to accomplish variety of illicit actions on the attacked system.
Malware are of different variant and all have a specific action to perform.
Users are generally not aware of how and when malware got installed as they are very sneaky in nature.
How Malware can arrive?
There are various sources through which malware can arrive. Sometimes it’s because of incautious surfing that gives a chance to the malware to slip inside the computer system.
Here, are some of the most common ways through which malware can get inside your computer or browser without your consent:
- Downloading freeware programs which are bundled with additional third-party software programs.
- Clicking on any ad or pop-up while browsing any unknown or unverified websites.
- Downloading any unknown web extensions or add-ons;
- Updating media players, flash players or browser versions from any fake update link;
- Opening spam mail attachments.
How to know if your browser or computer is infected with malware?
Signs and symptoms of an infected computer system are various and also depends of the type of infection. But it will not be hidden for long, as your computer or browser will soon start behaving weird. Malware can affect browser as well as your whole computer too.
Take a look at these common symptoms which will help you decide:
- Browser’s default settings like homepage, new tab and search engine.
- Searches will redirect to third-party search engine
- Some ads and popups display each time while surfing.
- New tab redirect to non requested websites that loads plenty of advertisements and pop-ups.
- Browser take lots more time to load up pages and too often crash down.
- Fake pages open asking to update browser version.
- Unknown extensions and toolbar is install without seeking your permission.
- You see lots of unknown applications and fake system utility tools that you never install.
- Computer takes long time to startup, desktop icons does not load up properly;
- CPU shows more than 90% usage;
- Applications like videos and games crash in middle;
- Active anti-virus keep on alerting about unknown files or infections.
How to prevent malware from being installed?
Malware can give you a hard time working on your computer or browsing. It becomes too difficult to execute any application on such an infected device. Also, their presence can make way for other more destructive threats that can do severe damage to your privacy and security.
Thus, it is very important to cautious while you are browsing, using any external USB drives and many such.
Tips and guidelines:
Here are few tips and guidelines which you can follow to have an infection free browsing and prevent any malware from infecting your computer:
- Update your OS regularly and other legitimate software like drivers, applications, browsers and so. Malicious software program attacks through any security flaws within the software applications. So, make sure you frequently check the updates and perform them. So that your device run smoothly.
- Do not perform any download or updates from non-trusted links or any pop-up that try to convince you that your windows/browser version is out of date. Always do it from official websites.
- Do not open any spam mail attachment from any unknown sender.
- Avoid installing unnecessary software programs from third-party websites. As they may contain bundled freeware program which you not be aware of. Also read terms and conditions and package content details before installing any software program.
- Never click on any ads, pop-ups on unknown websites as they might drop any harmful web extension without your permission. Always install extensions/add-on from the marketplace of the browsers.
- Cautiously perform browser and system privacy settings to advanced level. As any security loophole could allow malware to attack your computer.
- Avoid visiting any unverified web page, adult sites, online gaming sites that attract you with their banners and videos. They might not actually what they show.
- Run regular anti-virus scan to the whole system. Security experts always recommend to have real-time anti-virus program installed on the computer system. Always make sure to update them.
How to get rid of malware?
Although, Windows OS have in-built windows security defense that regularly give scan reports of your computer. But also keep second opinion as sometime the tough viruses like Trojans and Ransomware can shut down the firewall and default security detection.
But there are various fake versions of anti-virus program are available in the market. Such programs shows fake reports and urges you to buy their full version. So, you need to choose it wisely the legitimate and real-time security shield for your computer.
If you notice the above signs of infection, then do a scan to your PC in safe mode to detect and remove all malware programs.