List of Common Keyboard Shortcuts That Work In All Web Browsers
Keyboard shortcuts saves a lot of time while browsing, switching between tabs or you accidentally closed any tab.
Every browser has some special keyboard shortcuts, but they also have various common shortcuts keys that one should must be aware of.
Whether you are using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, IE, Opera, Safari or Apple. They all have some common keyboard shortcut that works fine with each of them.
By knowing about them would not only help you ease your browsing and it is always interesting to know such tips and tricks while browsing. Each major web browser shares a large number of keyboard shortcuts in common.
Here are the list of common keyboard shortcuts for web browsers:
- Ctrl + N: Opens a new window (browser as well as Windows too)
- Ctrl + Tab: Switch to the next tab from the current tab.
- Ctrl + Shift + Tab: Switch to the previous tab or the left tab.
- Ctrl + F4: Closes the current tab.
- Ctrl + T: To opens a new tab.
- Ctrl + Shift + T: To opens a recently closed tab.
- Alt + F4: Close the entire window (also works for every app).
- Ctrl + # key (1 to 8): Switch between open tabs by number.
- Ctrl + 9: Switch directly to the last tab.
- Alt+D: To select the address bar
- Ctrl+Enter: Prefixes www. and append .com to the text entered within the address bar and then loads the website. For instance:- To open “www.unboxhow.com” just type “unboxhow” and press Ctrl+Enter.
- Alt+Enter:Open the URL location typed in the address bar in a new tab.
- Alt+Left Arrow, Backspace :Back.
- Alt+Right Arrow, Shift+Backspace :Forward.
- F5: Reload.
- Ctrl+F5: To reload the website and also reset the cache.
- Escape: Stop.
- Alt+Home: Go back to homepage.
- Home: Scroll to top of page
- End: Scroll to end of the page
- Spacebar: Scroll downwards
- Shift+Spacebar: Scroll upwards
- Page Down / Up: Scroll down / up
- Ctrl + C: Copy selected text
- Ctrl + X: Cut the select text
- Ctrl + V: To paste the copied text
- Ctrl+K, Ctrl+E: Focus the browser’s search box or the address bar where you can directly type the search term. Exception Ctrl+K does not works in IE).
- Ctrl+F, F3 – Open the search box of the current web page.
- Ctrl+G, F3 – Find the next match of the searched text on the current page.
- Ctrl+Shift+G, Shift+F3 – Find the previous match of the searched text on the current page.
History & Bookmarks
- Ctrl+H – Open the browsing history in the new tab of the browser.
- Ctrl+J – Open the download history.
- Ctrl+D – Bookmark the current URL or website.
- Ctrl+Shift+Del – Open the Clear Browsing History window.
Mouse and Keyboard Combinations
- Ctrl + Mousewheel: Zoom in and out the page.
- Ctrl + 0: Reset to 100% (default) zoom
- Ctrl + Left Click: Open link in a new tab
- Shift + Left click: Open link in a new window
- Shift + Ctrl + Left click: Open link in a new background tab
- Mousewheel Press: Closes tabs if clicked on a tab and opens links in new tab and scroll.
- Ctrl+P:Print the current page.
- Ctrl+S: Save the current page to your computer.
- Ctrl+O: Open a file from your computer.
- Ctrl+U: Open the current page’s source code. (Not in IE.)
- Ctrl + J: Open downloads folder and/or history.
- Alt + F: Opens the menu bar if closed.
- F12 :Open Developer Tools. (Requires Firebug extension for Firefox.)
- F11: Full-screen mode.
Hope you find this article useful, if you think we miss any shortcut then leave them in comments.