Y2mate.com -What is it?
Y2mate.com is a non-trustworthy site that causes random redirects and floods the browser with unwanted advertisements, spam links and pop-ups. Users may sometimes intentionally visit this site hoping it as a useful Youtube downloader. To be precise, Y2mate.com offers users to enter any Youtube link to download the audio/video file from it. May sound as a useful and interesting feature. But as user does so, it presents a download link which is supposed to be file user wished for. But clicking on it opens multiple redirect pages on the browser. This is just a trick to gain users attention and make them click on their shady download links.
As a consequence, users may end up downloading any adware or malware program, engage in more useless contents and fake clicks. It is not only annoying but risky too, as now-a-days most of the sites are in lure to trace users data and the information fed to them. If the site is not safe then your data can be misused by third-party and even spammers.
Here is the screenshot of the Y2mate.com site that shows a button which says “Download.mp4”, this appears to be legitimate site that helps users to get their video/audio clip from the desired YouTube link:
As mentioned above, users should be cautious while clicking on the Download button as aims to redirect to annoying sites. The redirect sites may again contain intrusive ads and popups to gain users attention. Most of the ads encourage users to visit fake streaming/software downloads sites, online gaming, fraud money making or adult site and even leads to some malicious sites that can drop harmful program.
Why Browser Redirects To Y2mate.com?
You may get redirected to Y2mate.com while searching for any Youtube downloader link or site. In this case, you should avoid interacting with its pop-ups that asks to click on allow for push notification service and close the redirect pages immediately.
Secondly, Y2mate.com is regarded as a potentially unwanted program as it often comes bundled with other freeware downloads from third-party download sites. The site’s offering the Youtube video download feature can also be availed by by installing its extensions for Google Chrome, Mozilla or other browsers too. Such program have the ability to change the default browser settings and force the browser to redirect to Y2mate.com sites. After successful infiltration, they generate redirects, run intrusive advertisement campaigns and track browsing data.
How Y2mate.com Ads and Pop-ups can affect
Y2mate.com can be one of them that restricts surfing and also hampers the privacy. As it causes multiple redirects and loads plenty of undesirable contents. Often times, the ads may appear attractive but clicking on it further causes redirects to questionable sites loading plenty of undesirable contents. Such redirect sites may embed harmful scripts that run within the background and may risk of downloading and harmful program. Moreover, such websites constantly monitor browsing habits of users to gather data like search keywords, visited site info, links clicked, search engines and web extensions.
Along with that, it also sends the info of geo-location, IP address, browser versions and some system related info to its authors and third-party. These collected data are used for shooting out filtered adverts on the targeted browser. Thus, to engage users in more visits to their sponsored sites, clicks to their links and downloads. Thus users may see lots of ads, banners, sponsored links and pop-ups that may be risky to click and visit. Such things only benefit the low ranked websites and distribution of freeware.
How To Stop Browser Redirects To Y2mate.com site?
You should not click on the allow button on the page. However, you have already done so, then you need to remove the permissions granted, scan the system to remove adware and its components from the system.
To remove Y2mate.com pop-ups from your Windows PC, follow the steps below:
Note: You should be cautious while performing the above manual removal of Y2mate.com pop-ups virus.
Block the permission for the site to show push notifications from web browsers:
- Open chrome menu by clicking on three vertical dots on top-right corner. Click on “Settings“.
- On Chrome’s “Settings” Page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Advanced“.
- Navigate to “Privacy and Security” section, now click on “Content settings“.
- Click on “Notifications“. You will see list of websites that are allowed to show notifications.
- Search for “Y2mate.com ” website and click three vertical dots beside it, then click on “Remove”. This will prevent to show any push notification.(temporarily)
- Open Firefox menu by clicking on click on three horizontal lines. And choose “Options”.
- On the left side of the page, choose “Privacy & Security”.
- Go to “Permissions” section and within the Notifications menu choose “Settings” next to it.
- Locate “Y2mate.com ” website, and choose “block” from the drop-down menu.
- Click “Save Changes” button.
- On the top-right part of the browser, click on gear icon to open the menu.
- Select “Internet Options“.
- Navigate to “Privacy” tab, now choose “Pop-up Blockers” section and click on “Settings”.
- Locate for Y2mate.com website and click on the Remove button.
- Open Microsoft Edge Menu button, by clicking on three horizontal dots. Choose Settings from the menu.
- Click on “Advanced” from the left side of the window.
- Under the “Website permission” section, click on “Manage permission“.
- Locate Y2mate.com website and click on the X (Clear) button.
Remove browser shortcuts from opening web address.
- Right on the web browser shortcut on your desktop;
- Choose “Properties”;
- On the shortcut tab, within the “target” section, search for Y2mate.com address after “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” ???.
- If you find anything apart from above, then delete it.
- Repeat with all the installed web browsers.
Remove Unwanted programs/Adware from control Panel.
- Click on “Start“, then type “Control Panel” in the search box.
- Choose the “Uninstall a program“.
- Choose the program you want to uninstall from the list and click on “Uninstall” button on top. (Most of the time malicious program will not allow you to manually remove the programs. So you can the help of Express uninstaller tool.)
Reset web browsers
Remove Y2mate.com using Using Anti-malware scan
“Windows OS: Scan And Remove Y2mate.com Using SpyHunter 5 (Recommended)”
SpyHunter is a giant among the security programs that use advanced threat detection technology to remove any sort of Adware/PUPs, Browser hijacker, Trojans, Rootkits, Fake system optimization tools, worms, and rootkits.
It not only remove threats but provides rigorous 24/7 protection from any unsolicited programs, vulnerability or rootkits attacks.
Instructions To Download And Install SpyHunter 5
- Once the file “SpyHunter-Installer.exe” is downloaded, double-click on the file to open (you can see it in your browser’s bottom-left corner);
- Click “Yes” to the “User Account Control” dialog box;
- Now, choose your preferred language and then click on “OK” for the next installation step;
- Now, click on “Continue” button to proceed with the To proceed to the installation;
- Now installation will begin, please be patience as it may take few minutes;
- Click on the “Finish” button to successfully install the program.
Note: It may ask you to enter your information- there you can add your details or go with the default information to start the program.
Steps To Perform System Scan with SpyHunter
- Once the program is installed successfully, the SpyHunter 5 Anti-malware program will launch automatically. If it does not then locate the SpyHunter icon on the desktop or click on “Start” ? “Programs” ? Select “SpyHunter”.
- Now, To start the scan click on the “Home” tab and select “Start Scan Now” button. The program will now start scanning for Y2mate.com and other associated programs.
- The scan will report will all the details of the result about Y2mate.com along with system errors, vulnerabilities and malware found.
- Once you have found Y2mate.com as shown in the screenshot below:
- To select an object for removal, just select the checkbox at the left of the object and click on “Next“. You can select or deselect any objects displayed in the “Malware,” “PUPs” or “Privacy” tabs. We have included a convenient “Select All” feature that will allow you to select or deselect all objects displayed in a specific tab. To utilize this feature, simply select the checkbox at the left in the specific tab (9).
- Once you have selected which objects you would like to remove, click the “Next” button.
If you want to know more about it, you are welcomed to check out the full review of SpyHunter 5.
Scan And Remove Y2mate.com Adware Using HitmanPro.Alert
Running HitmanPro.Alert ( Read the full review of HitmanPro.Alert here)on your computer will provide your real-time status, checks the browser integrity and alerts or any suspicious activity. So that you can have a safe browsing and online transactions. Steps To Install And Run HitmanPro.Alert
- Click on the provided link to download HitmanPro.Alert anti-malware;
- Now, open the download folder or where your program is downloaded to locate “hmpalert3”;
- Click on it, to begin the installation;
- It will ask your User Account control, if prompted click on “yes”; The download should begin shortly. HitmanPro.Alert window will appear, where you need to choose the options:
- Choose Protection level as Maximum
And tick the other boxes and finally click on “Install”.
HitmanPro.Alert only takes 5MB of your memory and is very quick to install.
- Choose Protection level as Maximum
- After the installation is complete, the scan will start. First scan may take up some minutes, as it will scan the whole computer.
- The scan results are displayed. Carefully look down the list. You can here, the scan has found 1 Riskware and thousands of traces which can be risky.
- You can select the threat to delete, quranantize, ignore or, mark as safe. If you want to remove all the threats, then simply click on the “Next” button below.
- HitmanPro.Alert first creates a restore point and then starts the removal process. This helps to recover from any damage.
So, now you are done, with the removal process with HitmanPro.Alert.
Best Practices To avoid Such Infections
- Do not click on “Allow” button to the Push notifications.
- Avoid opening spam mail attachments, this is the common way through virus intrude inside. Thus, we should be cautious while getting mails from non-trusted sources.
- Keep the software program updates, so that it does not have any security patches.
- Be very cautious while downloading any freeware from third-party websites. Always download software programs from official websites. Thus avoiding any accidental download of Adware/PUPs.
- Do not use public wi-fi for online transactions, as they are not fully secure and can infect the device.
- Use a powerful anti-virus program that will keep track of the security.
By following the above tips, you can avoid viruses or unwanted programs entering on your computer. Hope this article is helpful to you.