What is WindowMix App?
WindowMix is a potentially undesired program that disguises itself as a web extension to the Mac OS. The app is promoted as a useful program to improve the surfing but instead loads up lots of advertisements upon the web browsers.
WindowMix is similar to other Adware like Pasteboard app, StructuredService, ResultsValue, ApplicationEvents and so on that controls the web browsers and its activities. The advertisements can take various forms like pop-ups, banners, in-text links, sponsored contents and so on. Like any other Adware WindowMix is also aimed to earn profit by generating traffic for third-party sites. Thus, users are redirected to annoying sites without being requested.
How WindowMix Adware Get Installed On The System?
You may have got WindowMix adware installed by unknowingly clicking on any download link or promotional ads. It may also slip inside your computer along with freeware downloads that often contains bundled freeware programs. Thus, it is better not to rely on such third-party ad-supported links to download free applications. Also, to avoid this, users need to choose custom/advanced installation step to do so.
How Does It Affects the Targeted Browsers?
These are social engineering tricks to disguise Adware inside the system. And once in, they target the installed browser like Safari, Google Chrome and Mozilla. WindowMix Adware may change the default search settings and will start showing numerous advertisements along with the search results. You might get easily tricked by its recommended links as it uses the surfing habits and keywords to show filtered adverts.
WindowMix ads may not be harmful itself, yet its presence may bring lots of privacy issues. As it often cause redirection to questionable sites that may silently download any harmful program. Often clicking on ads may force you to buy any rogue products. Not only that, these ads sometimes may encourage clicking on fake update links, software downloads or readdress to suspicious websites. Thus, it is always better to first verify the source and link before clicking. And quickly remove WindowMix search extension from Mac OS.
How to Remove WindowMix pop-ups from web browsers
To stop these pop-ups from WindowMix, you should close the page immediately.
Close all the pages and try to re-launch the browser. If you still see this URL, then you need to “force quit” the browser, so stop the WindowMix loading within the background.
To do so, you can follow the quick steps:
- To open “Force Quit” window, press the “Command + Option + Escape” keys on your keyboard altogether.
- Within the “Force Quit” application window, choose the web browser like Safari, Chrome, Firefox or so, to which you are noticing the WindowMix pop-ups.
- Now, click on the “Force Quit“ button. This should end the process running of your browser and hence will stop the WindowMix ads.
After that, re-launch your web browser, if you still see the pop-ups, then follow the complete removal steps below. You can also choose the automatic removal process, to detect any potentially unwanted application causing the phishing pages opening up on the browser.
Combo Cleaner is a complete security suite for Mac OS that is developed by “RCS LT” company. This program is featured with anti-virus scanner and system optimization tools like disk cleaner, duplicate files finder, application uninstaller, privacy scanner, and 24*7 customer support service.
Rather than being just a traditional anti-virus or a system optimizer, this single program takes a different approach that eases the user from using a different application to keep their MAC OS protected and optimized.
It is very important to have a reliable anti-virus solution for the computer system. Combo cleaner is one of the best options for MAC users as detects and eliminates all sorts of threats like adware, browser hijacker, Trojans, and other malware. It is a light-themed, easy-to-use interface and keeps updating its threat database hourly to instant detect and remove any sort of malware. Thus ensuring not any malicious stuff is behind within the system.
How to Install and Scan with Combo Cleaner
- Click the above button to Download the “Combo Cleaner”;
- Once the download completes, double-click on the downloaded file;
- After the window opens, drag the Combo Cleaner program icon and drop into your “Applications folder” icon.
- Now, open your “Launchpad” and click on the “Combo Cleaner” icon.
- This will start the combo cleaner installation and updates its latest virus definition. Once done, Combo cleaner will launch;
- Click on “Antivirus” tab and choose the scan options like Quick, Full, and custom. (Full is recommended for the first time)
- Let the scan be completed and it will list all the threat found. Now, click on “Remove All Threats”;
- After removing the threats, click on the “uninstaller” to find and remove any unwanted programs. Select the program from the list and its related files and then click on “Remove Selected Items“
If you still have the second thought about this anti-malware, then you may want to check out our review article about Combo Cleaner.
If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions or open it from another uninfected computer or laptop and follow step-by-step manual removal instruction. Mac OS PDF Guide
Step 1. Ending Process Running Under The “Activity Monitor”
- Type “Activity Monitor” in the Launchpad to open it;
- Scroll through the list of running apps, look for the suspicious ones that appear unknown to you or taking huge CPU resources.
- Use the [x] button to quit the process.
Step 2. Remove WindowMix virus Malicious Apps From Mac OS
- Open “Finder” by clicking on the Finder application on your dock.
- In the left pane of the Finder, click on “Applications“.
- Next, you need to locate the WindowMix virus Adware/suspicious apps and remove them. The “Applications” window will display the list of all apps installed on your Mac OS.
- Now, you need to go through the list to find out the WindowMix virus and other suspicious/malicious or infectious app, select it then right click and then select “Move to Trash”. (Repeat this step until you remove all such apps).
- Now you need to empty the trash as sometimes program can restore themselves from the trash. On your dock, right-click on the trash icon and then select “Empty Trash”.
NOTE: if something looks suspicious to you but you are not sure of that, search the web to find out more about that app.
Step 3. Remove WindowMix virus Apps From Auto-Startup
Generally, malicious programs, Adware and spyware add themselves to the boot process to launch automatically whenever the device boots. So, you need to find such apps and remove from the startups.
- Open Apple menu ? System Preferences
- Now, choose “Users & Groups” section
- Select your username from the left pane;
- A list will appear showing login items; check the list and use “—” sign to disable WindowMix virus or other suspicious/unwanted apps you see. Close the screen.
- Next step, from the top menu, choose Go ? Go to Folder, then type /Users/Shared/ within the search box. In the “Sharedfolder”, you need to delete the “Similar” files and folders.
- Now Restart your Mac to make the changes into effect.
Step 4. Remove WindowMix virus Daemons And Agents From Mac’s Startup
- From top menu ? Choose Go ? Go to Folder
- Type in “/Library/LaunchDaemons”, within this location you will see lots of files with .plist extension. Scroll through it and find the ones which appear to be suspicious and delete them.
- Do the same for other launching agents locations:
For example: an adware named Vsearch, you may get launching agent as :
Don’t forget to empty the trash and then restart the computer.
- After restart, again repeat step 1-2 and type in: /System/Library/Frameworks/ (look for the malicious file with .framework extension like /System/Library/Frameworks/VSearch.framework)
- Put the file to trash, if you find one with a malicious name.
- Similarly, do more searches within the location:
- /Library/Application Support/
- Put them to trash and again empty the trash and restart the computer.
Step 5. Uninstall WindowMix virus Or Unwanted/Suspicious Extensions From Browsers
Follow the steps to remove unwanted and suspicious extensions from the Safari browser:
- On the Safari browser, click the “Safari” menu then select “Preferences”.
- On the General tab of the Safari preferences, check for any unknown URL added as the default homepage, Within the “Homepage” field enter your preferred URL as your default start-page of the browser.
- Next, you need to check for malicious extensions, click on the “Extensions” tab on the same window.
- “Extensions” screen will list all the extensions installed on your safari browser, you need to browse through the list and uninstall the ones which appear to be Adware. If you find a malicious extension select it and then click on “Uninstall”. Repeat the steps to remove all unwanted extensions.
- Close the Safari browser.
To check for unknown extensions installed:
- Click on Chrome Menu(three vertical dots at top-right corner) ? Select “Settings” ? Choose “Extensions”.
- Scroll through the list of extensions installed on the Chrome browser, if any one of them appears to malicious then click on the “trash” icon next to it. This will remove the extension.
- Repeat the step until you are sure of the ones you like to keep.
To Reset The Browser:
Next, you need to reset the default settings like search engines, startup, and new tabs. It is better to use the default reset feature of the Google Chrome which will reset all the unwanted modifications done by third-party programs. Don’t worry you will not lose your saved passwords and bookmarks. However, it will delete cookies, extensions, startups, URLs, homepage and new tabs preferences.
- Click on Chrome’s main menu then choose “Settings“.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Advanced”.
- Under the Advanced page, go for “Reset and clean up” section, then click on “Reset settings to their original defaults”.
- Next, click on “Reset”, you will be prompted for a confirmation This will reset your startup page, a new tab page, search engine, and pinned tabs. It will also disable all extensions and clear temporary data like cookies. Your bookmarks, history, and saved passwords will not be cleared”
- Click on the “Reset Settings” button to confirm the procedure.
- After that, it may ask to restart your browser, click “Yes”.