If your browser’s default settings is changed to Wajm.icu, and you are unable to restore your default settings. Then, here is the detailed guide about Adware causing Wajm.icu redirects.
What is Wajm.icu?
Wajm.icu is a fake search engine that fails to display trusted information. While using its services, you may notice lots of sponsored ads and links. This is meant to help third-party advertisements to generate traffic on their sites. It also aims to distribute PUPs that may compromise the security of the user.
Wajm.icu is developed by “QxSearch” and is usually distributed through freeware downloads or clicking on ad-supported links. Once installed, this program modifies the homepage, search engine and new tab preferences. So you may see your homepage set as “hxxps://wajm.icu”. Thus, users are forced to carry out their searches using its services.
Wajm.icu send the search queries to search.gg and then display the results loaded with lots of sponsored links, ads and recommended downloads. Clicking on these may not serve your purpose and you could end up being redirected to more of questionable websites.
Wajm.icu makes the manual removal tricky as it installs its program files on the system. Thus resetting web browser settings or uninstalling programs may not ensure permanent solution.
How does Wajm.icu Arrive to the browsers?
The primary strategy for distributing PUPs are software bundling. There are several download sites that encourage such practices. They do so to earn commission from third-party sites. In fact, they does not disclose the additional component at the time of installation.
Thus, users need to be careful while downloading freeware bundles from third-party sites. It is very important to choose carefully to download freeware program and opt for custom/advanced installation option. To avoid accidentally install of any Adware.
Use only official or legitimate website for downloads.
How Wajm.icu affects the web browsers?
Wajm.icu browser hijacker results in distribution of more Adware programs that runs in the form of browser extensions. The main purpose to deploy such programs is to take the control over the web browsers and earn commission via advertising. Rather than providing useful information to users.
The homepage of Wajm.icu appears as:
If you enter any search query, it sends the data to search.gg site, that is again a browser hijacker. And displays the results full of sponsored ads and links. Here is the screenshot of the results conducted on this search engine.
Thus, you feel lack of getting the correct information. And most of the time, it redirects to third-party sites that encourages the download of other ad-supported programs.
Also continuous redirection to fake sites may hamper the security of the device and expose it for more harmful threats. Another thing of concern about Wajm.icu browser hijacker is that, it collects background information from user’s surfing habits. And send the collected data to other advertisers who can misuse it for other purposes. You may never feel secure while Wajm.icu program is active on your browser.
Thus, if you wish to keep your private data safe then you should stop using Wajm.icu search engine. And quickly follow the below instructions to remove it.
How to Remove Wajm.icu Browser Hijacker?
Wajm.icu browser hijacker can appear again and again even after resetting web browsers or removing extensions. Because such programs are controlled by other Adware that hides within the system by imitating a legitimate program. So, it may be a time taking and difficult task to manually trace the harmful program and its files from the infected computer.
This guide will help you to manually remove the Wajm.icu from the windows OS as well as web browsers. Before going through the manual solution, you need to keep in mind that, it should be performed very cautiously. As if any step goes wrong or any file deleted wrongly then you may face serious troubles.
Thus, it is better to give a full scan to your computer to detect and remove all sort of Adware.
To Manually Remove Wajm.icu browser hijacker, follow the below steps carefully:
The manual steps guided below are the links separately made with caution, to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions or open it from another uninfected computer or laptop and follow step-by-step manual removal instruction. Windows OS PDF Guide.
Remove Wajm.icu extension from the web browsers
- Click the Chrome menu appearing on the top right corner of the browser as three vertical dots;
- Select “Settings”;
- Click “Extensions,” (steps by slightly differ due to browser versions, to avoid any clash simply copy this URL “chrome://extensions/” and paste it within the search bar).
- Once the extension page appears, look for any suspicious extension that you may have choose to install.
- Click on the trash icon or “Remove” button.
- Start your Firefox browser and click on three horizontal lines on top right corner to open menu then select “Add-ons”. You can also press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard or copy and paste “about:addons” to the address bar to open the ‘Add-Ons Manager’ page. This page will show you the list of all extensions/add-ons installed on your browser.
- Select Extensions, and check the installed extensions and if it stands out to be an Adware/PUP then
- Click on Remove button.
- You may be prompted to restart the browser then do it make the changes successful.
- On Internet Explorer browser click “Tools,” icon;
- Select “Manage add-ons.” Within the Manage add-ons window on show section choose “All add-ons”. This will list all the toolbars and extensions installed on the browser.
- Select the ones which are unusual and can be recognized as an Adware;
- Click “Disable.”
- Repeat the steps for all unwanted add-ons and extensions.
Reset web browsers
Scan your computer for complete removal of Wajm.icu.
Note: The above manual steps may not guarantee the full removal, as the complete removal of any harmful program means more than that. They have the ability to modify the browser settings again and again, till its associated files and registries are not completely removed.
If you are not familiar with the above steps then, we recommend you to choose the automatic removal of Wise Search Adware.
Remove Wajm.icu using HitmanPro.Alert.
HitmanPro.Alert is an advanced anti-malware program that takes on proactive approach towards threat behavior and its activities. Its cloud-based scanning technique is deeply scans the system to the possible locations where threats mostly resides. This is a real-time malware program that delivers protection from latest threat, crypto-malware, ransomware, exploits, spyware, risks related to online transactions.
HitmanPro.Alert is best-in-class that provides various advanced features like:
- Safe Browsing;
- Exploit Mitigation;
- Risk reduction:
- Key-loggers Protection and many such.
Running HitmanPro.Alert on your computer will provide your real-time status, checks the browser integrity and alerts or any suspicious activity. So that you can have a safe browsing and online transactions. Read the full review of HitmanPro.Alert here.
Steps To Install And Run HitmanPro.Alert
- Click on the provided link to download HitmanPro.Alert anti-malware;
- Now, open the download folder or where your program is downloaded to locate “hmpalert3”;
- Click on it, to begin the installation;
- It will ask your User Account control, if prompted click on “yes”;
- The download should begin shortly. HitmanPro.Alert window will appear, where you need to choose the options:
Choose Protection level as Maximum
And tick the other boxes and finally click on “Install”.
HitmanPro.Alert only takes 5MB of your memory and is very quick to install.
- After the installation is complete, the scan will start. First scan may take up some minutes, as it will scan the whole computer.
- The scan results are displayed. Carefully look down the list. You can here, the scan has found 1 Riskware and thousands of traces which can be risky.
- You can select the threat to delete, quranantize, ignore or, mark as safe. If you want to remove all the threats, then simply click on the “Next” button below.
- HitmanPro.Alert first creates a restore point and then starts the removal process. This helps to recover from any damage.
So, now you are done, with the removal process with HitmanPro.Alert.
Follow the link to Remove Wajm.icu browser hijacker from MAC OS X.
However, these steps may help you successfully remove Wajm.icu browser hijacker, but should be cautious while you do any kind of online activity. Always pay attention to what you choose to download, as various freeware downloads come as software bundles.
These bundles may purposely drop other harmful programs on the computer. Better to opt for Advanced or custom installation procedure to avoid installation of unknown programs.
Hope you find this article helpful.