If “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” site says, your computer is blocked then you should not believe it.
What is “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows”?
The “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” is yet another tech support scam. However, the warning appears to be legit as it imitates to be from “Windows” or “Microsoft.” The pop-up message on the tricky page informs users of unusual activity detected on the system and hence it is infected.
The reason behind why the computer is blocked has many or one of the reasons. Is either windows using illegal registration key, pirated software or system is hacked and so on.
Furthermore, they provide a phone number , for contact the so-called Microsoft Technicians for immediate assistance.
However, you should avoid calling on them, as it is just a scam. And the scammers sitting remotely can trick you in many ways.
The “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” Scam Motives
If you encounter “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” warning, then you may see similar texts:
VIRUS ALERT FROM MICROSOFT
This computer is BLOCKED
Do not close this window and restart your computer
Your computer’s registration key is Blocked.
Why we blocked your computer?
The window’s registration key is illegal.
This window is using pirated software.
Window is sending virus over the internet.
This window is hacked or used from undefined location.
We block this computer for your security.
Contact microsoft helpline to reactivate your computer.
Upon calling, the scammers may use scare tactics to showing more issues on your system. And convince you to purchase some fake security program to earn profit. Users must not click on the “Proceed” button, as this may attempt to redirect to unsafe website to carry out the purchase. And the sensitive details like credit card info, logins and passwords may be used later for fraudulent purchases and transaction.
There are many scam websites that uses similar tactics to fool users into believing that their system is infected. Additionally, they ask the users to call on tech support numbers. For instance, “PORNOGRAPHIC VIRUS ALERT FROM MICROSOFT” , scam users in similar way.
How “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” spread?
Typically, such scam website open on the new tab unexpectedly if user click on any harmful link or visit any compromised site.
Secondly, if the system has got some potentially unwanted program installed in the form of Adware. When it comes to Adware, they are capable to attack the browser and causes redirection. Thus, you should immediately close the deceptive page. However, if it still appears, then you need a trusted anti-malware scanner to locate the harmful program and remove with all their traces to stop browser redirects.
How To Remove”VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” Pop-up Scam?
To Remove “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” pop-up ads, follow the steps below:
- Block Redirect Pop-ups Alerts from “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows”
- Remove “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” from browser’s shortcut.
- Remove “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” and other Adware from windows OS
- Use Anti-malware to scan and remove “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” .
- Reset web browsers
Note: You should be cautious while performing the above manual removal of “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” pop-ups virus. So, as to avoid any confusion.
Step 1: Block the permission for the site to showing “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” pop-ups
- Open chrome menu by clicking on three vertical dots on top-right corner. Click on “Settings“.
- On Chrome’s “Settings” Page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Advanced“.
- Navigate to “Privacy and Security” section, now click on “Content settings“.
- Click on “Notifications“. You will see list of websites that are allowed to show notifications.
- Search for website showing “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” pop-ups. Click three vertical dots beside it, then click on “Remove”. This will prevent to show any push notification.(temporarily)
- Open Firefox menu by clicking on click on three horizontal lines. And choose “Options”.
- On the left side of the page, choose “Privacy & Security”.
- Go to “Permissions” section and within the Notifications menu choose “Settings” next to it.
- Locate website showing “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” pop-ups. If found choose “block” from the drop-down menu.
- Click “Save Changes” button.
- On the top-right part of the browser, click on gear icon to open the menu.
- Select “Internet Options“.
- Navigate to “Privacy” tab, now choose “Pop-up Blockers” section and click on “Settings”.
- Locate website showing “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” pop-ups. Click on the Remove button.
- Open Microsoft Edge Menu button, by clicking on three horizontal dots. Choose Settings from the menu.
- Click on “Advanced” from the left side of the window.
- Under the “Website permission” section, click on “Manage permission“.
- Locate website showing “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” pop-ups. Click on the X (Clear) button.
Step 2: Remove browser shortcuts from opening “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows”.
- Right on the web browser shortcut on your desktop;
- Choose “Properties”;
- On the shortcut tab, within the “target” section, search for azurewebsites.net address after “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe” ???.
- If you find anything apart from above, then delete it.
- Click on “Apply” and “Ok“.
- Repeat with all the installed web browsers.
Step 3: Remove Unwanted programs/Adware from control Panel.
- In the taskbar, click on the “Search” icon. And Type “Apps And Features;”
- When the “Apps And Features” window opens, you can see the list of applications installed;
- Go through it carefully and search malicious apps that looks suspicious to you. If you don’t remember to install yourself;
- If you find such, click on it to expand; And click on “Uninstall”.
- Repeat for all such apps.
If the program does not allow you to remove it, or says the program is running in the background. Then you need to first finish the task from the task manager.
How To End A Task From Task Manager
- Press “Window key+ R” and type “taskmgr”.
- Now once the task manager window opens, perform these steps:
- Under the process tab, check for the suspicious program still running;
- If you find it, right click on the name and select “Open file location”;
- Then click on “End Task”;
- Now go to the file location window opened and select the program and delete that file.
Now, follow the above steps to uninstall the suspicious program from your system.
Step 4: Use Anti-malware to scan and remove “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows”.
Steps To Perform System Scan with SpyHunter
- Once the program is installed successfully, the SpyHunter 5 Anti-malware program will launch automatically. If it does not then locate the SpyHunter icon on the desktop or click on “Start” ? “Programs” ? Select “SpyHunter”.
- Now, To start the scan click on the “Home” tab and select “Start Scan Now” button. The program will now start scanning for “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” and other associated programs.
- The scan will report will all the details of the result about “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” along with system errors, vulnerabilities and malware found.
- Once you have found “VIRUS ALERT FROM Windows” as shown in the screenshot below:
- To select an object for removal, just select the checkbox at the left of the object and click on “Next“. You can select or deselect any objects displayed in the “Malware,” “PUPs” or “Privacy” tabs. We have included a convenient “Select All” feature that will allow you to select or deselect all objects displayed in a specific tab. To utilize this feature, simply select the checkbox at the left in the specific tab (9).
- Once you have selected which objects you would like to remove, click the “Next” button.
If you want to know more about it, you are welcomed to check out the full review of SpyHunter 5.
Step 5: Reset web browsers
Use Hitman Pro. Alert To Scan And Remove Malicious Programs
Running HitmanPro.Alert on your computer will provide your real-time status, checks the browser integrity and alerts or any suspicious activity. So that you can have a safe browsing and online transactions. Steps To Install And Run HitmanPro.Alert
- Click on the provided link to download HitmanPro.Alert anti-malware;
- Now, open the download folder or where your program is downloaded to locate “hmpalert3”;
- Click on it, to begin the installation;
- It will ask your User Account control, if prompted click on “yes”;
- The download should begin shortly. HitmanPro.Alert window will appear, where you need to choose the options:
Choose Protection level as Maximum
And tick the other boxes and finally click on “Install”.
HitmanPro.Alert only takes 5MB of your memory and is very quick to install.
- After the installation is complete, the scan will start. First scan may take up some minutes, as it will scan the whole computer.
- The scan results are displayed. Carefully look down the list. You can here, the scan has found 1 Riskware and thousands of traces which can be risky.
- You can select the threat to delete, quranantize, ignore or, mark as safe. If you want to remove all the threats, then simply click on the “Next” button below.
- HitmanPro.Alert first creates a restore point and then starts the removal process. This helps to recover from any damage.
So, now you are done, with the removal process with HitmanPro.Alert.
Best Practices To avoid Such Infections
- Do not click on “Allow” button to the Push notifications.
- Avoid opening spam mail attachments, this is the common way through virus intrude inside. Thus, we should be cautious while getting mails from non-trusted sources.
- Keep the software program updates, so that it does not have any security patches.
- Be very cautious while downloading any freeware from third-party websites. Always download software programs from official websites. Thus avoiding any accidental download of Adware/PUPs.
- Do not use public wi-fi for online transactions, as they are not fully secure and can infect the device.
- Use a powerful anti-virus program to keep track of the security.
By following the above tips, you can avoid viruses or unwanted programs entering on your computer. Hopefully, this article is helpful to you.