Remove VirtualGuest From Safari, Chrome & Mozilla
VirtualGuest is a worthless application that delivers non-stop advertisements that can end up being redirected to unsafe websites. So to ensure safe browsing, you should not delay scanning and remove all possible threats.
To scan and check if your Mac is infected- ∇ Download ComboCleaner
What is VirtualGuest?
VirtualGuest is a kind of browser hijacker and unwanted program that Mac users can encounter while downloading any kind of freeware. It belongs to the category of malicious program Mac malware that has the main objective to inject malicious advertisements while browsing.
These ads not only force users to visit unknown or irrelevant websites. Often random visiting or clicking on such ads slows down your Mac and encourages fake downloads. This could pose more risk of Mac being infected with adware, malware, or even Trojans.
To completely remove VirtualGuest ads, you need to remove all their associated files.
Read this post to know all about VirtualGuest and its best removal solution.
|Type||Adware, PUA, Browser Hijacker, Search Redirect|
|Description||VirtualGuest is a fake search extension that injects advertisements of all sorts while browsing. Causing browser redirects to questionable sites.|
|Occurrence||An adware-type program like extensions or fake tools already present in the Mac, Visiting suspicious websites causes browser redirects to questionable websites.|
|Possible Symptoms||Deliver Fake Adobe Update warnings, installation of adware programs, Change browser settings, and displaying intrusive advertisements.|
VirtualGuest is an adware threat targeting Mac users. Remove it with a reliable anti-malware tool. Our Experts recommend ComboCleaner.
How VirtualGuest Get Inside The Mac?
Many users complain of noticing this app installed unknowingly. As it is mostly being distributed via deceptive installing tactics. You may have encountered random redirect pages asking to update your Adobe Flash Player.
There are various such scam sites that shows warnings “Abode Flash Player is out of date,” and needs to be updates. Until then, the bogus page restricts the loading the contents on the page. However, users downloading and updating Flash player from such scam sites may unknowingly install other adware programs.
Apart from that, you may accidentally install it via freeware program from third-party sites. Thus, users who do not pay attention while installing such freeware, may get this adware installed without their knowledge. So, it is advised that users should opt for custom/advanced installation procedure.
Hence, by following this trick, you can prevent unknowingly entry of adware and PUA with administrative privileges.
How Does This Adware Affects The Mac?
VirtualGuest adware targets the popular web browsers like Safari, Mozilla, Chrome and so. The sole aim behind this is to display various sorts of adverts like pop-ups, coupons, surveys, banners, video ads and so on while browsing. If clicked, these ads redirects to unsafe or even some malicious page. Users need to know that such page may load unsolicited scripts that load in the background to display ads.
So, users often end up downloading rogue applications, fake updates and even indulge in worthless purchases.
Besides that, VirtualGuest has browser hijacking traits, as it promotes fake search engine. This is done to ensure that searches are loaded with sponsored ads, paid links and contain low-quality site recommendations.
Being an adware, the VirtualGuest may collect various browsing data like:
- IP addresses,
- search queries/keywords
- Site or URL visits
- geo-locations and many more.
So, these data may even contain some sensitive data that if shared with unknown people can lead to negative consequences. These data are used for various frauds and scams in order to generate their own revenue. Nonetheless, to say, its presence may cause serious browsing issues, crashes, privacy invasion, and identity thefts.
Thus, users are advised to remove VirtualGuest adware and its associated files as soon as possible.
How to Remove VirtualGuest From Mac (Guide)
Besides that, it makes removal a tricky process by making several changes to the Mac systems. Foremost of which, it creating a new user profile for the program to achieve persistence on the system.
Secondly, the adware add their applications and “.plist” files to various libraries of the system like Launch Daemon, LanuchAgents, ApplicationSupport folder, and so on.
This is a complete manual removal guide for Mac users. It consist of step-by-step removal of unwanted programs. For instance, Adware, browser hijackers, redirects, Trojans and other malware. The manual removal may take several minutes, therefore you have to patience. Please follow the steps carefully. If you are in hurry, then we suggest you to go for automatic removal solution.
(The above link will open a new page from where the Combo Cleaner will download)
To Remove VirtualGuest Extension from Mac OS, follow the steps:
STEP 1: Remove Unknown Profiles Created by VirtualGuest Program From Mac OS
Profiles are utility that allows business or organizations to control the actions and behavior of the Mac system. Thus, any profile created by the admins will prevent the users to change them. However, adware distributes design their programs that may create new profile. As a result, it prevents user from uninstalling the adware or other malware program.
So, we first need to find out if there is any malicious profile created on the Mac. If yes, then you have to remove them.
Please follow the Steps here:
- Select System Preferences from the Apple menu;
- Within the System Preferences window, find “Profiles” icon; (If you can’t find the profile icon, it means may not have any profiles created.)
- When the “Profile” Window opens, look for the unknown profiles. To remove VirtualGuest fake user profile, select it and click on the – (minus) button.
- Repeat the steps to remove all unknown profiles.
STEP 2: Uninstall VirtualGuest/Malicious Apps From Mac OS
In this step, You need to locate for VirtualGuest application or unknown programs that you may not have installed yourself. Remove all such apps from your system.
- Open “Finder” application from your dock;
- In the left pane of the Finder, click on “Applications“;
- The Applications window will display the list of all apps installed on your Mac OS. Next, you need to locate the VirtualGuest/suspicious apps by scrolling.
- To remove VirtualGuest, right-click on it, and then click “Move to Trash”. (Repeat this step until you remove all such apps).
- Now you need to empty the trash as sometimes program can restore themselves from the trash. On your dock, right-click on the trash icon and then select “Empty Trash”.
STEP 3: Remove VirtualGuest Daemons And Agents From Mac’s Startup
- From top menu On Desktop → Choose Go→Go to Folder;
- Within the “Go To Folder” pop-up window, enter the following paths along with VirtualGuest.plist one by one. This will locate the malicious files created by the apps.
- /Library/Application Support
For instance, If a malicious program named VirtualGuest, then you may see ~/Library/LaunchDaemons/com. VirtualGuest.plist”, within this location. You will see lots of files with “.plist” extension. Scroll through it and find the ones which appear to be suspicious.
- ~/Library/Application Support/com. VirtualGuest/ VirtualGuest
- ~/Library/Application Support/com. VirtualGuestDaemon/ VirtualGuest
- ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com. VirtualGuest.plist
- ~/Library/LaunchDaemons/com. VirtualGuestDaemon.plist
- To Remove launch agents by VirtualGuest, right click on it and “More To Trash”.
Similarly, do this for launching agents locations: /Library/LaunchAgents/com. VirtualGuest.plist.
NOTE: Do not forget to empty the trash.
STEP 4: Use ComboCleaner Scan To Remove VirtualGuest
(The above link will open a new page from where the Combo Cleaner will download)
Combo Cleaner is a complete security suite for Mac OS that is developed by “RCS LT” company. This program is featured with anti-virus scanner and system optimization tools like disk cleaner, duplicate files finder, application uninstaller, privacy scanner, and 24*7 customer support service.
How to Install and Scan with Combo Cleaner
1. Click the above button to Download the “Combo Cleaner”;
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the downloaded file;
3. After the window opens, drag the Combo Cleaner program icon and drop it into your “Applications folder” icon.
4. Now, open your “Launchpad” and click on the “Combo Cleaner” icon.
5. This will start the combo cleaner installation and updates its latest virus definition. Once done, Combo cleaner will launch;
6. Click on “Antivirus” tab and choose the scan options like Quick, Full, and custom. (Full is recommended for the first time)
7. Let the scan be completed and it will list all the threats found. Now, click on “Remove All Threats”;
8. after removing the threats, click on the “uninstaller” to find and remove any unwanted programs. Select the program from the list and its related files and then click on “Remove Selected Items“
STEP 5: Remove VirtualGuest From Safari, Chrome, And Firefox Web Browsers
To Remove VirtualGuest Extensions, homepage redirects From Safari Browser, follow steps:
- On the Safari browser, click the “Safari” menu then select “Preferences”.
- On the “General” tab of the Safari preferences, check for VirtualGuest URL added as the default homepage. Within the “Homepage” field enter your preferred URL as your default start-page of the browser.
- Next, you need to check for malicious extensions, click on the “Extensions” tab on the same window.
- The “Extensions” screen will list all the extensions installed on your safari browser. You need to browse through the list and uninstall VirtualGuest extension or Adware. Select it and then click on “Uninstall”. Repeat the steps to remove all unwanted extensions.
Delete Safari’s preferences file to reset the default settings
Even after performing the above steps, some malicious program may reappear again. This happens because adware and browser hijackers creates new files within the preferences. Thus, they are able to replace the homepage and search engine URLs each time when user launches the Safari.
To do this, follow the below steps:
- Close the Safari browser;
- Come to normal desktop mode, now choose “Go” from the top menu then click on “Go to Folder“.
- Within the “Go to Folder: pop-up window, enter the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist path and click on GO;
- Delete the file, if found;
- Launch the Safari Again.
To Remove VirtualGuest From Chrome (Extensions, homepage redirects), follow steps:
Similarly, you need to reset the default settings of Chrome browser. In order to remove unknown extensions, search engines, startup, and new tabs.
It is better to use the default reset feature of the Google Chrome. This will reset all the unwanted modifications done by third-party programs. It should be noted that you will not lose your saved passwords and bookmarks. (Sync your Google with Account to secure them first). However, it will delete cookies, extensions, startups, URLs, homepage and new tabs preferences.
- Click on Chrome’s main menu then choose “Settings“. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Advanced”;
- Under the Advanced page, go for “Reset and clean up” section. Then click on “Reset settings to their original defaults”;
- Next, click on “Reset”, when you will be prompted for a confirmation “This will reset your startup page, a new tab page, search engine, and pinned tabs. It will also disable all extensions and clear temporary data like cookies. Your bookmarks, history, and saved passwords will not be cleared”;
- Click on the “Reset Settings” button to confirm the procedure. After that, it may ask to restart your browser, click “Yes”.
Remove Chrome’s policies created by VirtualGuest Program
If the above reset solution does not work for you, then it may possible that the malicious programs has created policies within the chrome browser. This certainly restricts the unwanted apps, homepage and search engine settings to reset again. The Chrome polices are listed within chrome://policy URL. You can check the unwanted policies created by malicious apps. If this is the case then you need to remove them.
To reset such policies from chrome browser, follow the steps below:
- Open a Terminal window. Go to Finder → Go → Utilities → Terminal;
- Within the Terminal window, execute the following commands one by one. And press enter after each command.
defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageIsNewTabPage -bool false defaults write com.google.Chrome NewTabPageLocation -string “https://www.google.com/” defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageLocation -string “https://www.google.com/” defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderSearchURL defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderNewTabURL defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderName defaults delete com.google.Chrome ExtensionInstallSources
- After executing the above commands, launch the Chrome browser again. To check the unknown policies to be removed successfully. Type “chrome://policy” within the address bar and click on “Reload policies”.
- Now, the malicious policies should be gone. After that, you can modify your homepage, new tab and search engine as per your preferences.
NOTE: Last but not the least, if the above solution also does not work for you. Then the malicious programs may have install “Managed by your organization” policy. As a consequence it restricts to remove the unknown extension or homepage even after resetting the browser.
Please follow our guide Remove “Managed by your organization” Chrome Hijack From Mac
Mozilla Firefox Browser
To Remove VirtualGuest Extension, homepage redirects From Mozilla Firefox Browser, follow steps:
Finally, if you have facing same issues with Firefox browser, then follow the steps to refresh it.
- Open Firefox’s Main Menu button by clicking on three horizontal lines. After that, from the drop-down menu select “Help“;
- Click on the “Troubleshooting Information,“ from the Help menu;
- From the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page, click on the “Refresh Firefox”.
- To confirm, click on the “Refresh Firefox” button, within the confirmation pop-up window.
- Click on the “Finish“ button.
By the time now, your Mac should free from adware and other malicious programs. Most importantly, you should always have a reliable anti-malware with real-time protection features. So, that it can trace the behaviors of unwanted program at its earliest. And quarantine it from being making serious damages.