What is Ursnif Trojan Virus?
Ursnif is a data-stealing Trojan threat that drops keyloggers on the infected computer system to dig out all confidential data of the user. This Trojan generally spreads through phishing email campaigns. Once the system gets infected with Ursnif virus, it starts numerous processes within the background.
Two of which is :
Although, these are the essential windows processes, but the Trojan may drop the malicious versions of these files to escape from detection. As soon as the Ursnif virus activates on the system, it keeps a keen watch on the activities of users and record each of the keystrokes. The recorded data is then send to the authors of the virus through TOR network. Along with data-stealing, Ursnif Trojan may also install other malware to negotiate the complete system.
Ursnif virus infiltration Sources:
The reason behind the outbreak of Ursnif Trojan threat is spam email campaigns that contains the payloads of the threat. The phishing email contains the document that asks users to enable the macros. Thousands of users have been become the victim of this threat like this approach. As the email is subjected as urgent or from higher authority or even it imitates any legitimate service.
But you must not open the attachment until you verify the sender and the motive behind it. Ursnif Trojan is not the only one tricking users, there are various destructive Trojan threats using spam mail campaigns to drop infections of the PC.
It is very important to stay aware of such threats:
- DarkHydrus Trojan threat;
- RogueRobin Trojan Horse;
- Zeus virus;
- Trojan.MSIL.Agent and
These are most active threat nowadays.
Spam emails are now being the most common technique of the distribution of Trojan and ransomware threats. So, if you get any suspicious email, please do not quickly open or download the attachments. has also been a commonly used technique for Trojan distribution. Once the user downloads the attachment, it asks to enable the macros to load of the contents of the file. As soon as the user does so, the virus is launched on the targeted system.
Ursnif virus destructive actions:
Ursnif trojan is active since 2007 and is being constant evolved to be more powerful and using sophisticated behavior to attack users. Not individuals are being targeted by this threat, in fact this fierce threat is attacking big organizations, institutions, government agencies and hospitals to steal the data.
This Trojan is mainly designed to record all the sensitive data various sensitive data from the victim’s PC. The data generally includes the crucial ones like banking details, saved logins, email address, location, IP address, browsing information and passwords. The Trojan receives the command from its authors to carry out various other tasks within the background. Once all the collected data are successfully send to the hackers, it receives the command to delete itself from the victim’s PC. In this way, you may lose all your financial and personal data which can be misused badly.
The developers of Ursnif Trojan are constantly working to find clever ways of attack and silently steal all your data. Many users may been a victim of monetary frauds, as they transfer all the money from the victim’s back account to its own. You can do nothing after that, so it is better to stay a step ahead of these threats. Never ignore any signs of infection like:
- Task manager showing unknown processes running;
- Unexpected errors on the screen;
- Performance slowdown and blue-screen death;
- Browser redirects to unknown pages and frequently crashes.
If you don’t know about the infection and its properties, then it is better to scan your system with real-time anti malware program to detect and remove the threat.
How to Remove Ursnif virus from infected device?
Ursnif Trojan virus is still active and widely infecting users. Thus, it is very important to remove this threats in its initial attack phase. This persistent threat can have various other variants as detected by other anti-virus programs. So, it is very important to cautious enough while removing this threat. Security experts recommends the deep scan of the infected computer that is the only option to ensure complete removal of Ursnif Trojan.
Find below the quick removal solution to get rid of Ursnif virus and its associated programs.
“Windows OS: Use Anti-Malware To Scan And Remove Ursnif (Recommended)”
SpyHunter is a giant among the security programs that use advanced threat detection technology to remove any sort of Adware/PUPs, Browser hijacker, Trojans, Rootkits, Fake system optimization tools, worms, and rootkits. It not only remove threats but provides rigorous 24/7 protection from any unsolicited programs, vulnerability or rootkits attacks.
Steps To Perform System Scan with SpyHunter
- Once the program is installed successfully, the SpyHunter 5 Anti-malware program will launch automatically. If it does not then locate the SpyHunter icon on the desktop or click on “Start” ? “Programs” ? Select “SpyHunter”.
- Now, To start the scan click on the “Home” tab and select “Start Scan Now” button. The program will now start scanning for Ursnif and other associated programs.
- The scan will report will all the details of the result about Ursnif along with system errors, vulnerabilities and malware found.
- Once you have found Ursnif as shown in the screenshot below:
- To select an object for removal, just select the checkbox at the left of the object and click on “Next“. You can select or deselect any objects displayed in the “Malware,” “PUPs” or “Privacy” tabs. We have included a convenient “Select All” feature that will allow you to select or deselect all objects displayed in a specific tab. To utilize this feature, simply select the checkbox at the left in the specific tab (9).
- Once you have selected which objects you would like to remove, click the “Next” button.
If you want to know more about it, you are welcomed to check out the full review of SpyHunter 5.
How To Remove Ursnif Manually From Windows OS
To Remove Ursnif , follow these steps:
For our readers to understand, we have put our best possible solution that can help to remove this threat. But we suggest you to only try this if you are familiar with system configurations, registries keys and its subkeys values and also boot settings.
While performing the manual solution, be enough cautious and if you get confused at any point of time, them leave it and take the help of powerful anti-malware program to detect and remove the virus. This will not only ensure safe removal of Ursnif but also restore default system settings.
Method 1: Remove Ursnif Manually From Windows OS (Safe Mode)
For Windows XP and 7:
- Click on the “Start menu“, then on click the arrow next to “Shut Down.” Select Restart. (Just as you normally Restart your PC).
- Once the computer screen is powered on, immediately start tapping “F8” key till you see “Advanced Boot Options” screen. if you don’t enter to the boot screen, then restart the process again and press F8 while the PC is restarting.
- Here, you need to choose “Safe Mode with Networking“ option and press “enter” key to troubleshooting windows. As later on, you need to access the internet.
- And you will now see the login screen. Now log in with your Administrator Account.
NOTE: To get back to your normal windows configuration, you need to repeat steps 1-3 and select Start Windows Normally.
- For Windows 10: Click Start –> Power and then hold the Shift key on your keyboard and click Restart.
- For Windows 8/8.1: Press the “Windows key + C“, and then click “Settings“. Click “Power“, hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and then click “Restart“.
- From here steps are same for Windows 10 and 8.
- Click “Troubleshoot”.
- Click Advanced options.
- Click Startup Settings.
- Click Restart.
- After your computer restarts, select Safe Mode with Networking.
- Enter your Administrative username and password to start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
NOTE: To get back to normal Windows configuration you need to Click Start –> Power and then click Restart.
Kill Ursnif Process From Task Manager
- Press “Window key+ R” and type “taskmgr”.
- Now once the task manager window opens, perform these steps:
- Under the process tab, check for the suspicious program like KMSpico.exe or AutoKMS.exe still running;
- If you find it, right click on the name and select “Open file location”;
- Then click on “End Task”;
- Now go to the file location window opened and select the program and delete that file.
Disable Ursnif suspicious program from startup.
It is very important to remove Ursnif program, from auto-launch when the system boots. As if not removed, then it will not allow you to remove the malicious programs completely from the infected system. And there is very much chances that it will again repair its files and be active on your system.
Disabling this will allow you to completely get rid of any unwanted program.
To Disable Auto-Startup For Ursnif Program:
For Windows Xp and older version:
- Press “Windows key+R” that will open the run box. Within the search field type “msconfig” and hit enter that will launch “System Configuration” window.
- Next, click on the “Startup” tab to see the list of programs which are set to auto-launch with the computer boot.
- Now browse the list to locate the programs related to Ursnif . To disable it, un-check the boxes next to the program names, you want to remove from start up. And choose “Disable All” click “Apply” and “OK.”
For Windows 8, 10 and newer versions:
This feature is available within the Task manager window. So open it and switch to “Start Up Tab.”
- Click on the Ursnif or other harmful program, then click “Disable” button appearing at the bottom of the window.
Remove Ursnif And Other Harmful Program From Computer
- In the taskbar, click on the “Search” icon. And Type “Apps And Features;”
- When the “Apps And Features” window opens, you can see the list of applications installed;
- Go through it carefully and search for apps that looks suspicious to you. If you don’t remember to install yourself;
- If you find such, click on it to expand; And click on “Uninstall”.
- Repeat for all such apps.
If the program does not allow you to remove it, or says the program is running in the background. Then you need to first finish the task from the task manager.
Remove Ursnif using HitmanPro.Alert
HitmanPro.Alert is an advanced anti-malware program that takes on proactive approach towards threat behavior and its activities. Its cloud-based scanning technique is deeply scans the system to the possible locations where threats mostly resides.
Running HitmanPro.Alert on your computer will provide your real-time status, checks the browser integrity and alerts or any suspicious activity. So that you can have a safe browsing and online transactions. Read the full review of HitmanPro.Alert here.
Steps To Install And Run HitmanPro.Alert
- Click on the provided link to download HitmanPro.Alert anti-malware;
- Now, open the download folder to locate “hmpalert3”;
- Click on it, to begin the installation;
- It will ask your User Account control, if prompted click on “yes”; The download should begin shortly. HitmanPro.Alert window will appear, where you need to choose the options:
- Choose Protection level as Maximum
- And tick the other boxes and finally click on “Install”.
- HitmanPro.Alert only takes 5MB of your memory and is very quick to install.
- After the installation is complete, the scan will start. First scan may take up some minutes, as it will scan the whole computer.
- The scan results are here. Carefully look down the list. You can here, the scan has found 1 Riskware and thousands of traces which can be risky.
- You can select the threat to delete, quarantine, ignore or, mark as safe. If you want to remove all the threats, then simply click on the “Next” button below.
- HitmanPro.Alert first creates a restore point and then starts the removal process. This helps to recover from any damage.
So, now you are done, with the removal process with HitmanPro.Alert.
Method 2: Remove Ursnif Trojan Virus Using System Restore Procedure. (Advanced option)
Another method is a manual way to get rid of Ursnif which is through System Restore. If you don’t know much about this process, then read here. Click here to perform System Restore in Windows OS.
Safe Mode with Command Prompt (Follow the above steps and choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt option from boot setting.)
To Reboot your computer to “Safe Mode with Command Prompt”
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart.
- Now select Troubleshoot –> Advanced options –> Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select “Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt” in Startup Settings window.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Click Start –> Restart –> OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing “F8″ multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
To Restore your system to default settings as it was prior to the attack of Ursnif Virus
- Once the Command Prompt window appears, type “cd restore” and press Enter.
- Now again type “rstrui.exe” and hit Enter button;
- It will show up a new window, now click on “Next”.
- Then, select your restore point that should be prior to the attack of Ursnif Trojan threat or any other point you want. Click on “Next”.
- Now click on “Yes” to confirm the system restore.
Once the system restore to your selected date is done, then you need to restart your computer normally.
You should Download effective anti-virus program and scan your computer to ensure successful removal of any threat.
Best Practices To avoid Such Infections
- Keep a secure firewall for the system. This will help block any unwanted internet connections to your device.
- Do not open spam mail attachments from unknown sender. This is the common way through which malicious programs intrude inside. Thus, we should be cautious while getting mails from non-trusted sources.
- Keep the software program updates, so that it does not have any security patches.
- Be very cautious while downloading any freeware from third-party websites. Always download software programs from official websites. Thus avoiding any accidental download of Adware/PUPs.
- Do not use public wi-fi for online transactions, as they are not fully secure and can infect the device.
- Use a powerful anti-virus program that will keep track of the security.
By following the above tips, you can avoid viruses or unwanted programs entering on your computer. Hope this article is helpful to you.