Tonedeaf BackDoor Trojan
A new backdoor Trojan has been detected by security experts named as Tonedeaf Trojan. The threat is managed by an APT34 hacking group that hails from Iran. It uses various social engineering tactics to distribute the backdoor threat and communicates with the hacker using command and control server.
According to reports, APT34 hacking group acts as a sophisticated group that often employed by Iranian Government to carry out specific tasks. It is also known by other names like Helix Kitten, OilRig, and Greenbug. The Tonedeaf trojan managed group APT34 is active since 2014 and mainly targets organization dealing in defense, chemical, energy, and finance within the Middle East region.
The Tonedeaf backdoor has the ability to harvest data stored within the target system, upload and download files, and execute arbitrary shell commands. It communicates with the author using HTTP GET and POST requests.
Tonedeaf backdoor Distribution Methods
The Tonedeaf backdoor can be distributed via various shady social engineering tactics. The APT34 hacker group creates fake profile of LinkedIn that pretends to be a scientist or researcher from Cambridge University. This is how they connect to the targeted user. Once the connection is successful, it sends a malicious document that appears to be a useful research work. Once the user downloads the infected document, the macro-enabled attachment starts executing and downloads the payloads of TONEDEAF backdoor Trojan on the system.
Tonedeaf backdoor Malicious Actions
Once installed, TONEDEAF backdoor Trojan may disable the antivirus tools. but if the target system is not protected with any such security tool, then it is hard to notice its presence. The threat can also be used as an initial dropper, which means the TONEDEAF can further drop more damaging threats on the system to execute some specific tasks. It uses the HTTP POST and GET protocols to communicate with the hackers. It opens the backdoor capabilities for the hacker to intrude inside and execute a number of illegal activities like:
- Collecting system related information.
- Execute arbitrary Shell Commands.
- Upload and Download additional files.
Thus, it is very important to keep the device secured with powerful anti-virus program that can work proactively on such threats. Also, before connecting to any profile on LinkedIn or other social media networks, do a little search. Do not download any attachment from an unknown sender as it may carry the payloads of the virus.
How to Remove Tonedeaf Trojan
The removal process of Tonedeaf Trojan is tough like any other virus. It can leave you puzzled as it does too many modifications to the system internal settings. This may take enough time and patience to do it manually. That even may not ensure you complete removal.
For our readers to understand, we have put our best possible solution that can help to remove this threat. But we suggest you to only try this if you are familiar with system configurations, registries keys and its subkeys values and also boot settings.
While performing the manual solution, be enough cautious and if you get confused at any point of time, them leave it and take the help of powerful anti-malware program to detect and remove the virus. This will not only ensure safe removal of Tonedeaf Trojan but also restore default system settings.
“Windows OS: Use Anti-Malware To Scan And Remove Tonedeaf (Recommended)”
SpyHunter is a giant among the security programs that use advanced threat detection technology to remove any sort of Adware/PUPs, Browser hijacker, Trojans, Rootkits, Fake system optimization tools, worms, and rootkits.
It not only remove threats but provides rigorous 24/7 protection from any unsolicited programs, vulnerability or rootkits attacks.
Why we are recommending SpyHunter is because of its efficiency, lightweight that only takes up 12% of the CPU space and simpler user-interface that is designed for both beginners and advanced users. Besides that, it has features which require less-user monitoring, custom scan options, system guard and 24*7 help desk support. Keeping SpyHunter actively running on your computer adds an extra security layer that protects your computer system from being attacked.
Spyhunter certified by “West Coast Labs’ Checkmark Certification System” gives you a complete money-back guarantee, if you are not satisfied with its results. Because they are sure you will going to have it on your system. So, it’s a win-win situation for you try out SpyHunter free version and if you are fully satisfied to get registered for full protection against all malicious odds that hampers your security.
Instructions To Download And Install SpyHunter 5
- Once the file “SpyHunter-Installer.exe” is downloaded, double-click on the file to open (you can see it in your browser’s bottom-left corner);
- Click “Yes” to the “User Account Control” dialog box;
- Now, choose your preferred language and then click on “OK” for the next installation step;
- Now, click on “Continue” button to proceed with the To proceed to the installation;
- Now installation will begin, please be patience as it may take few minutes;
- Click on the “Finish” button to successfully install the program.
Note: It may ask you to enter your information- there you can add your details or go with the default information to start the program.
Steps To Perform System Scan with SpyHunter
- Once the program is installed successfully, the SpyHunter 5 Anti-malware program will launch automatically. If it does not then locate the SpyHunter icon on the desktop or click on “Start” ? “Programs” ? Select “SpyHunter”.
- Now, To start the scan click on the “Home” tab and select “Start Scan Now” button. The program will now start scanning for Tonedeaf and other associated programs.
- The scan will report will all the details of the result about Tonedeaf along with system errors, vulnerabilities and malware found.
- Once you have found Tonedeaf as shown in the screenshot below:
- To select an object for removal, just select the checkbox at the left of the object and click on “Next“. You can select or deselect any objects displayed in the “Malware,” “PUPs” or “Privacy” tabs. We have included a convenient “Select All” feature that will allow you to select or deselect all objects displayed in a specific tab. To utilize this feature, simply select the checkbox at the left in the specific tab (9).
- Once you have selected which objects you would like to remove, click the “Next” button.
If you want to know more about it, you are welcomed to check out the full review of SpyHunter 5.
To Remove Tonedeaf Trojan, follow these steps:
The manual steps below contains the instructions separately to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions. Or you can open it from another uninfected computer or laptop. And follow step-by-step manual removal instruction: Windows OS PDF Guide.
Step 1:Remove Tonedeaf Trojan From WindowsOS
Step 2: Remove Trojan Virus Using System Restore Procedure. (Advanced option)
Step 3: Remove Tonedeaf Trojan using HitmanPro.Alert
HitmanPro.Alert is an advanced anti-malware program that takes on proactive approach towards threat behavior and its activities. Its cloud-based scanning technique is deeply scans the system to the possible locations where threats mostly resides. This is a real-time malware program that delivers protection from latest threat, crypto-malware, ransomware, exploits, spyware, risks related to online transactions.
HitmanPro.Alert is best-in-class that provides various advanced features like:
- Safe Browsing;
- Exploit Mitigation;
- Risk reduction:
- Key-loggers Protection and many such.
Running HitmanPro.Alert on your computer will provide your real-time status, checks the browser integrity and alerts or any suspicious activity. So that you can have a safe browsing and online transactions. Read the full review of HitmanPro.Alert here.
Steps To Install And Run HitmanPro.Alert
- Click on the provided link to download HitmanPro.Alert anti-malware;
- Now, open the download folder or where your program is downloaded to locate “hmpalert3”;
- Click on it, to begin the installation;
- It will ask your User Account control, if prompted click on “yes”;
- The download should begin shortly. HitmanPro.Alert window will appear, where you need to choose the options:
Choose Protection level as Maximum
And tick the other boxes and finally click on “Install”.
HitmanPro.Alert only takes 5MB of your memory and is very quick to install.
- After the installation is complete, the scan will start. First scan may take up some minutes, as it will scan the whole computer.
- The scan results are displayed. Carefully look down the list. You can here, the scan has found 1 Riskware and thousands of traces which can be risky.
- You can select the threat to delete, quranantize, ignore or, mark as safe. If you want to remove all the threats, then simply click on the “Next” button below.
- HitmanPro.Alert first creates a restore point and then starts the removal process. This helps to recover from any damage.
So, now you are done, with the removal process with HitmanPro.Alert.
Step 4: System Restore Procedure
- After Removal of Tonedeaf Trojan, it is important to restore the damages done by it. As it attacks windows registry to add its keys and values to execute as the system starts. All these keys may help the program to regenerate its codes. To repair the registry and restore to its previous state, we recommend the “Reimage Tool“, that cleans all the traces of threat and fix all windows errors.
Best Practices To avoid Such Infections
- Keep a secure firewall for the system. This will help block any unwanted internet connections to your device.
- Do not open spam mail attachments from unknown sender. This is the common way through which malicious programs intrude inside. Thus, we should be cautious while getting mails from non-trusted sources.
- Keep the software program updates, so that it does not have any security patches.
- Be very cautious while downloading any freeware from third-party websites. Always download software programs from official websites. Thus avoiding any accidental download of Adware/PUPs.
- Do not use public wi-fi for online transactions, as they are not fully secure and can infect the device.
- Use a powerful anti-virus program that will keep track of the security.
By following the above tips, you can avoid viruses or unwanted programs entering on your computer. Hope this article is helpful to you.