You must be facing trouble while accessing any web page on your Mozilla Firefox browser that says “The proxy server is refusing connections”. This means either your proxy settings is changed somehow or your system is infected with any potentially harmful program that is controlling your online actions.
Before i take you to the next level of how to solve The proxy server is refusing connections issue on your Firefox browser. Let me tell a brief about what is proxy server and why you are getting this warning while attempting to reach any website.
What is The proxy server is refusing connections?
A proxy server acts like a mediator between your computer system or device and the internet service. It takes the request from your device and seeks for the resources from different servers to present the results to end user. This helps in anonymity and even bypass the blocked sites. Proxy server are typically also used to retrieve static resources from cache.
But nowadays, there are various cyber offenders or bad developers that are deploying malicious extensions that are capable to change the default proxy settings. They even don’t need user’s permission to do so.
If your Mozilla or other browser is infected with any Adware in the form of malicious extension, then it might possible you get “The proxy server is refusing connections” while loading any web page.
The error message shown here reads as:
The proxy server is refusing connections
Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.
Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.
Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working
How to solve The proxy server is refusing connections issue?
In account of your proxy server settings being tampered or changed, all your request is being transferred to any unknown server that is not able to reach the desired address. Now as we know it is concerned about the change in proxy settings.
So, now our first fix attempt should be restoring the default proxy settings which can be achieved from both browser as well as internet settings of your windows operating system.
Reset your Proxy Settings of Mozilla Firefox
- Open your Firefox browser and click on the menu;
- Choose “Options” from the main menu;
- Now scroll down and choose “Network settings”;
- Make sure you have selected option either “No proxy” or “Use system proxy settings”;
- Now click on “OK” to confirm your settings.
- Close everything and restart your browser.
Hope this may solve “The proxy server is refusing connections” issues.
If the issue still persists, it means your browser is infected with some sort of Adware. Like said above, such programs may enter as a browser extension, add-on or plug-ins that had managed to change your proxy settings.
So, you need to locate the malicious extensions and remove them completely to solve the “The proxy server is refusing connections” issue.
In this guide, we have put few recommendations of anti-malware tools and also summed up manual removal solution to clean the computer from any sort of Adware. If you are not sure of the associated files and registries created by The proxy server is refusing connections, then you should first try out scanning your computer with anti-malware. This may help you instantly get rid of the virus.
Note! If your Mac OS is infected with The proxy server is refusing connections then please visit this link for Mac OS Virus Removal Guide.
“Windows OS: Use Anti-Malware To Scan And Remove The proxy server is refusing connections (Recommended)”
SpyHunter is a giant among the security programs that use advanced threat detection technology to remove any sort of Adware/PUPs, Browser hijacker, Trojans, Rootkits, Fake system optimization tools, worms, and rootkits.
It not only remove threats but provides rigorous 24/7 protection from any unsolicited programs, vulnerability or rootkits attacks.
Why we are recommending SpyHunter is because of its efficiency, lightweight that only takes up 12% of the CPU space and simpler user-interface that is designed for both beginners and advanced users. Besides that, it has features which require less-user monitoring, custom scan options, system guard and 24*7 help desk support. Keeping SpyHunter actively running on your computer adds an extra security layer that protects your computer system from being attacked.
Spyhunter certified by “West Coast Labs’ Checkmark Certification System” gives you a complete money-back guarantee, if you are not satisfied with its results. Because they are sure you will going to have it on your system. So, it’s a win-win situation for you try out SpyHunter free version and if you are fully satisfied to get registered for full protection against all malicious odds that hampers your security.
Instructions To Download And Install SpyHunter 5
- Once the file “SpyHunter-Installer.exe” is downloaded, double-click on the file to open (you can see it in your browser’s bottom-left corner);
- Click “Yes” to the “User Account Control” dialog box;
- Now, choose your preferred language and then click on “OK” for the next installation step;
- Now, click on “Continue” button to proceed with the To proceed to the installation;
- Now installation will begin, please be patience as it may take few minutes;
- Click on the “Finish” button to successfully install the program.
Note: It may ask you to enter your information- there you can add your details or go with the default information to start the program.
Steps To Perform System Scan with SpyHunter
- Once the program is installed successfully, the SpyHunter 5 Anti-malware program will launch automatically. If it does not then locate the SpyHunter icon on the desktop or click on “Start” ? “Programs” ? Select “SpyHunter”.
- Now, To start the scan click on the “Home” tab and select “Start Scan Now” button. The program will now start scanning for threats, malware, unwanted programs, rootkits, and system vulnerabilities.
- The scan will report will all the details of the result along with system errors, vulnerabilities and malware found.
- SpyHunter 5 groups your scan results into categories determined by the type of objects detected: “Malware“, “PUPs” (Potentially Unwanted Programs), “Privacy“, “Vulnerabilities“, and “Whitelisted objects“, as shown in the screenshot below:
- To select an object for removal, just select the checkbox at the left of the object. You can select or deselect any objects displayed in the “Malware,” “PUPs” or “Privacy” tabs. We have included a convenient “Select All” feature that will allow you to select or deselect all objects displayed in a specific tab. To utilize this feature, simply select the checkbox at the left in the specific tab (9)
- Once you have selected which objects you would like to remove, click the “Next” button.
Note: Any objects that you choose to remove will be securely stored in SpyHunter’s “Quarantine.” If at any time, you would like to restore a previously removed object(s), you can do so through SpyHunter’s “Restore” feature. To locate the object, go to the “Malware/PC Scan” tab and then click the “Quarantine” tab. From the “Quarantine” tab, you may restore an object by selecting the checkbox at the left of the object and clicking the “Restore” button.
If you want to know more about it, you are welcomed to check out the full review of SpyHunter 5.
“Windows OS: Manually Find And Remove The proxy server is refusing connections ( Only Recommended For Advanced Users)”
The manual steps guided below are the links separately made with caution, to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we also recommend you to print/download these instructions or open it from another uninfected computer or laptop and follow step-by-step manual removal instruction. Windows OS PDF Guide.
- Step 1: Boot your Computer to “Safe Mode With Networking“
- Step 2: Remove Suspicious Programs from Browsers
- Step 3: Removing Adware from Operating System
- Step 4: Cleaning temporary files and removing unwanted programs left within task manager
- Step 5: Running Full System Scan(Recommended)
You should not skip the full system scan step. As even if you don’t perform the manual steps for removing the Adware, running system scan will automatically detect and remove the threat. Security experts always recommend to do deep system scanning if you are not a technically sound person. All the steps mentioned above needs a good knowledge of system utilities, so if anything goes wrong it will hamper your device.