If your browser’s default settings is changed to Speedtestace.co, then it is because of Adware intrusion on your computer. Here is the detailed guide about Adware causing Speedtestace.co redirects.
What is Speedtestace.co?
Speedtestace.co is an ad-supported search engine that is added to the browsers without user’s consent. It comes along with “Speed Test Ace” extension that you may choose to install hoping to be helpful.
This extension is advertised as a tool to quickly check the network speed right from your homepage. But it does not come alone, once you install this extension, it automatically mounts its new tab, search engine and other toolbars.
Thus you see hxxps://www.speedtestace.co, as your default homepage. And the searches are carried out using third-party search engine or using Yahoo search service. Well adding this extension may not be a good decision as rather than easing your surfing, it will mislead you with manipulated search results. You often find the result page loaded with sponsored ads, paid links and banners. Clicking on them will further redirect to third-party sites.
You may find no way to get out of here, as it will not allow you to switch back to the previous settings. Thus, Speedtestace.co is considered to be a browser hijacker that can only be removed using an effective removal tool.
Browser hijackers are distributed along with Freeware downloads
You may wonder how you get this search helper installed on your browser, the reason may be download of bundled programs that automatically comes along with them. And if users fail to choose the “Custom installation” option, then you might see Speedtestace.co as your default homepage.
How Speedtestace.co affects the web browsers?
At first you may get the recommendation of adding Speed Test Ace extension to your browser. While you click on “continue”, it means you are allowing the adware to bring changes to the default browser settings. And soon after that, Speedtestace.co makes changes to the browser and replace the existing homepage to its search page “hxxxx://www.speedtestace.co/homepage/homepage.html?id=” without user approval.
This may not be counted as a harmful virus but can be clearly declared as a browser hijacker that controls the browsing activities. And presents non-trustworthy search results with plenty of redirect links. Also, user may see highlighted text which upon hovering your mouse will lead to hacked web pages.
Moreover, each time user visits any URL, Speedtestace.co presents lots of advertisements and sponsored links that will put extra payloads on the browser. Due to these issues, your browser will take lots of time load up contents and it could also crash down frequently. Follow the removal steps to delete Speedtestace.co browser hijacker immediately.
To Manually Remove Speedtestace.co browser hijacker, follow the below steps carefully:
The manual steps guided below are the links separately made with caution, to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions or open it from another uninfected computer or laptop and follow step-by-step manual removal instruction. Windows OS PDF Guide.
Remove Speedtestace.co extension from the web browsers
- Click the Chrome menu appearing on the top right corner of the browser as three vertical dots;
- Select “Settings”;
- Click “Extensions,” (steps by slightly differ due to browser versions, to avoid any clash simply copy this URL “chrome://extensions/” and paste it within the search bar).
- Once the extension page appears, look for any suspicious extension that you may have choose to install.
- Click on the trash icon or “Remove” button.
- Start your Firefox browser and click on three horizontal lines on top right corner to open menu then select “Add-ons”. You can also press Ctrl+Shift+A on your keyboard or copy and paste “about:addons” to the address bar to open the ‘Add-Ons Manager’ page. This page will show you the list of all extensions/add-ons installed on your browser.
- Select Extensions, and check the installed extensions and if it stands out to be an Adware/PUP then
- Click on Remove button.
- You may be prompted to restart the browser then do it make the changes successful.
- On Internet Explorer browser click “Tools,” icon;
- Select “Manage add-ons.” Within the Manage add-ons window on show section choose “All add-ons”. This will list all the toolbars and extensions installed on the browser.
- Select the ones which are unusual and can be recognized as an Adware;
- Click “Disable.”
- Repeat the steps for all unwanted add-ons and extensions.
Reset web browsers
Scan your computer for complete removal of Speedtestace.co.
Note: The above manual steps may not guarantee the full removal, as the complete removal of any harmful program means more than that. They have the ability to modify the browser settings again and again, till its associated files and registries are not completely removed.
If you are not familiar with the above steps then, we recommend you to choose the automatic removal of Wise Search Adware.
Remove Speedtestace.co using HitmanPro.Alert.
HitmanPro.Alert is an advanced anti-malware program that takes on proactive approach towards threat behavior and its activities. Its cloud-based scanning technique is deeply scans the system to the possible locations where threats mostly resides. This is a real-time malware program that delivers protection from latest threat, crypto-malware, ransomware, exploits, spyware, risks related to online transactions.
HitmanPro.Alert is best-in-class that provides various advanced features like:
- Safe Browsing;
- Exploit Mitigation;
- Risk reduction:
- Key-loggers Protection and many such.
Running HitmanPro.Alert on your computer will provide your real-time status, checks the browser integrity and alerts or any suspicious activity. So that you can have a safe browsing and online transactions. Read the full review of HitmanPro.Alert here.
- Click on the provided link to download HitmanPro.Alert anti-malware;
- Now, open the download folder or where your program is downloaded to locate “hmpalert3”;
- Click on it, to begin the installation;
- It will ask your User Account control, if prompted click on “yes”;
- The download should begin shortly. HitmanPro.Alert window will appear, where you need to choose the options:
Choose Protection level as Maximum
And tick the other boxes and finally click on “Install”.
HitmanPro.Alert only takes 5MB of your memory and is very quick to install.
- After the installation is complete, the scan will start. First scan may take up some minutes, as it will scan the whole computer.
- The scan results are displayed. Carefully look down the list. You can here, the scan has found 1 Riskware and thousands of traces which can be risky.
- You can select the threat to delete, quranantize, ignore or, mark as safe. If you want to remove all the threats, then simply click on the “Next” button below.
- HitmanPro.Alert first creates a restore point and then starts the removal process. This helps to recover from any damage.
So, now you are done, with the removal process with HitmanPro.Alert.
However, these steps may help you successfully remove Speedtestace.co browser hijacker, but should be cautious while you do any kind of online activity. Always pay attention to what you choose to download, as various freeware downloads come as software bundles.
These bundles may purposely drop other harmful programs on the computer. Better to opt for Advanced or custom installation procedure to avoid installation of unknown programs.
Hope you find this article helpful.