Scranos-is a damaging malware that is used as a rootkit to perform various malicious actions on the affected computer system. This guide will explain you more about this threat, its symptoms and effect on the PC.
Technical Details of Scranos
|Description||Scranos is a rookit trojan that is used to steal financial data, logins and other individual data.|
|Occurrence||Downloading pirated software, clicking on fake update links and freeware downloads|
|Possible Affects||Stealing banking data, downloading payloads of other threats, communicating with remote attackers and hijacking web browsers.|
|Detection Tool||Download the Detection tool– To confirm attack of Scranos virus on your computer.|
What is Scranos?
Scranos malware installs as a rootkit on the targeted PC. This malware is used by cyber attackers to steal confidential data on the PC. But there are various other evil motives of this malware that works on the instructions of the attackers.
According to reports by the security experts, this malware uses sophisticated module based design that works on cross-platform. The module has rootkit-enabled codes that most often spreads through spam bots, downloading infected cracks of games and software, p2p file sharing and freeware downloads.
Once installed, Scranos malware does various destructive actions. Some of the most risky ones are:
- Steal banking information, login credentials and other financial details;
- Establish communication through C&C server and receive commands;
- Upload, download and install other malware;
- Monitors online activities and collects records of browsing sessions by installing tracking cookies.
- Acts as a browser hijacker that controls the browser and display sponsored advertisements.
Apart from these, the authors of this malware is constantly working on to improve its functionalities. New modules are being tested, but still the Scranos malware is too harmful for any computer system. So if your computer has any traces of this malware, then quickly scan it with effective anti-malware tool.
Clicking on harmful links usually spread the payloads of Scranos
Although, there can be possibly various intrusive ways, but according to cyber security experts, the most common ways are:
- Downloading Pirated Software: As it is a module based program , it is very easy for cyber offenders to embed the its code to the pirated software programs, torrent files, crack of legitimate applications and games. Thus users who often search for cracks or are keen of downloading pirated software, may easily get this malware.
- Fake links on social media sites: Social media sites have now became an easy way to access information that appears in the form of links, ads and comments. Users must verify the link and sender before clicking on them.
- P2P file sharing: This is also a common trick used to deploy malware programs and initial payloads of the virus. Thus, users should avoid peer-to-peer sharing of files within the infected network.
What damages it can do to the targeted device?
Scranos rootkit virus was first detected in 2018 and since then it is active. China was the first country attacked by this rootkit, but now it is spreading in various countries like India, France, Romania, Brazil, etc.It mainly attacked the Windows OS (all versions).
Due to its continuously expanding module and sophisticated ways of intrusion, the victims may have no idea about its presence. And this rootkit may continue to exploit the negotiated system for its illegal benefits.
As soon as, the malware installs on the random machine, it installs various files within directories of the system. Like any other harmful program, Scranos virus also establishes remote connection with its authors to send and receive commands. This is mainly done to receive additional commands and infectious module from its author. Different modules of the virus has different functions to perform like said above.
The main of which is stealing banking information, login credentials and other various personally-identifiable information. These collected data can be used for monetary frauds, identity frauds and click frauds.
Moreover, it can also be used to drop the payloads and allow the background access for other damaging threats. And spread spam emails and infected links within the social media networks using the infected device.
Thus, you should remove Scranos malware without being any any delay. Although, its removal processes is very tricky and cannot be achieved manually. Thus, it is better to opt for an effective real-time anti-malware program to ensure complete removal of Scranos rootkit malware.
How to Remove Scranos Trojan
The removal process of Scranos Trojan is tough like any other virus. It can leave you puzzled as it does too many modifications to the system internal settings. This may take enough time and patience to do it manually. That even may not ensure you complete removal.
For our readers to understand, we have put our best possible solution that can help to remove this threat. But we suggest you to only try this if you are familiar with system configurations, registries keys and its subkeys values and also boot settings.
While performing the manual solution, be enough cautious and if you get confused at any point of time, them leave it and take the help of powerful anti-malware program to detect and remove the virus. This will not only ensure safe removal of Scranos Trojan but also restore default system settings.
To Remove Scranos Trojan, follow these steps:
The manual steps below contains the instructions separately to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions. Or you can open it from another uninfected computer or laptop. And follow step-by-step manual removal instruction: Windows OS PDF Guide.
Step 1:Remove Scranos Trojan From WindowsOS
Step 2: Remove Scranos Trojan Virus Using System Restore Procedure. (Advanced option)
Step 3: Remove Scranos Trojan using HitmanPro.Alert
HitmanPro.Alert is an advanced anti-malware program that takes on proactive approach towards threat behavior and its activities. Its cloud-based scanning technique is deeply scans the system to the possible locations where threats mostly resides. This is a real-time malware program that delivers protection from latest threat, crypto-malware, ransomware, exploits, spyware, risks related to online transactions.
HitmanPro.Alert is best-in-class that provides various advanced features like:
- Safe Browsing;
- Exploit Mitigation;
- Risk reduction:
- Key-loggers Protection and many such.
Running HitmanPro.Alert on your computer will provide your real-time status, checks the browser integrity and alerts or any suspicious activity. So that you can have a safe browsing and online transactions. Read the full review of HitmanPro.Alert here.
Steps To Install And Run HitmanPro.Alert
- Click on the provided link to download HitmanPro.Alert anti-malware;
- Now, open the download folder or where your program is downloaded to locate “hmpalert3”;
- Click on it, to begin the installation;
- It will ask your User Account control, if prompted click on “yes”;
- The download should begin shortly. HitmanPro.Alert window will appear, where you need to choose the options:
Choose Protection level as Maximum
And tick the other boxes and finally click on “Install”.
HitmanPro.Alert only takes 5MB of your memory and is very quick to install.
- After the installation is complete, the scan will start. First scan may take up some minutes, as it will scan the whole computer.
- The scan results are displayed. Carefully look down the list. You can here, the scan has found 1 Riskware and thousands of traces which can be risky.
- You can select the threat to delete, quranantize, ignore or, mark as safe. If you want to remove all the threats, then simply click on the “Next” button below.
- HitmanPro.Alert first creates a restore point and then starts the removal process. This helps to recover from any damage.
So, now you are done, with the removal process with HitmanPro.Alert.
Step 4: System Restore Procedure
- After Removal of Scranos Trojan, it is important to restore the damages done by it. As it attacks windows registry to add its keys and values to execute as the system starts. All these keys may help the program to regenerate its codes. To repair the registry and restore to its previous state, we recommend the “Reimage Tool“, that cleans all the traces of threat and fix all windows errors.
Best Practices To avoid Such Infections
- Keep a secure firewall for the system. This will help block any unwanted internet connections to your device.
- Do not open spam mail attachments from unknown sender. This is the common way through which malicious programs intrude inside. Thus, we should be cautious while getting mails from non-trusted sources.
- Keep the software program updates, so that it does not have any security patches.
- Be very cautious while downloading any freeware from third-party websites. Always download software programs from official websites. Thus avoiding any accidental download of Adware/PUPs.
- Do not use public wi-fi for online transactions, as they are not fully secure and can infect the device.
- Use a powerful anti-virus program that will keep track of the security.
By following the above tips, you can avoid viruses or unwanted programs entering on your computer. Hope this article is helpful to you.