What is ProductTask?
ProductTask is a potentially unwanted program that pretends to be a legitimate search extension. It claims to offer enhanced search results and improve the surfing experience. However, it is counted as a potentially unwanted program similar to NeedWebSearch, ProdigySearch, OutputData and IdeaShared so on. These apps are distributed via various deceptive means, so users may unintentionally get them installed. Once installed, ProductTask makes various changes to the browser settings to run advertising campaigns. Thus users may notice plenty of paid ads, sponsored links, promotional contents and hyperlinked texts that are meant to redirect to unknown sites. Being an Adware, the app tracks the browsing habits of users to feed its visitors with more number of adverts.
How ProductTask Gets inside the computer?
PUA like ProductTask, MetroPremium, MacPerformance so on may get downloaded on the system while clicking on any promotional ads that causes multiple redirects. Thus, users may accidental download and install this program. Secondly, downloading free software programs from third-party websites that often bundled ad-driven programs bundled within installation package. When users download the main program without choosing the custom installation step then these apps may get installed without seeking further permission. Last but not the least is clicking on fake update links of flash player pop-ups that appear from any unknown link. Users should never update programs without verifying the links.
How Does ProductTask Affects the Browsing?
When installed, ProductTask aims to serve advertisements within the search results, visited websites and also overlapping the contents of the websites. The ads can take up various forms like sponsored links, banners, pop-ups, discount coupons, surveys, video ads and so on. These ads may attract users but clicking on them redirects to unknown sites rather than serving the purpose. When users click on these ads, the sponsored sites generate traffic on their pages and earn profit by pay-per-click method.
Users are advised to avoid clicking on ads, as some scammers may run bad scripts within the background when users visit any website. As a consequence users may tricked into clicking any ads that may not appear malicious but actually could risk of downloading any harmful program on the computer. Thus, it is advised not to click on random ads on third-party websites. When it comes to ProductTask app, it only aims to display intrusive advertisements to make its own profit. It is just a worthless app like Prontoapp or screensaver app. All these are adware that hampers the security, negotiates the system resources and diminishes the system overall performance. Thus you should locate and uninstall all the potentially undesirable program installed on the web browser.
How to Remove ProductTask From Mac?
Worst thing about ProductTask is that it does not go away easily as they do various changes to the system settings which is nearly impossible to detect and remove. Thus, even if you reset your browser or uninstall any unknown program, it can still appear again and again. Presence of such Adware can risks the privacy as they aim to collect individual’s data related to browsing, system information and so on. Thus, you need to opt for powerful removal tool to drive away ProductTask and its associated programs from your Mac.
To stop these pop-ups from ProductTask, you should close the page immediately.
Close all the pages and try to re-launch the browser. If you still see this URL, then you need to “force quit” the browser, so stop the ProductTask loading within the background.
To do so, you can follow the quick steps:
- To open “Force Quit” window, press the “Command + Option + Escape” keys on your keyboard altogether.
- Within the “Force Quit” application window, choose the web browser like Safari, Chrome, Firefox or so, to which you are noticing the ProductTask pop-ups.
- Now, click on the “Force Quit“ button. This should end the process running of your browser and hence will stop the will ProductTask pop-ups.
After that, re-launch your web browser, if you still see the pop-ups, then follow the complete removal steps below. You can also choose the automatic removal process, to detect any potentially unwanted application causing the phishing pages opening up on the browser.
Combo Cleaner is a complete security suite for Mac OS that is developed by “RCS LT” company. This program is featured with anti-virus scanner and system optimization tools like disk cleaner, duplicate files finder, application uninstaller, privacy scanner, and 24*7 customer support service.
Rather than being just a traditional anti-virus or a system optimizer, this single program takes a different approach that eases the user from using a different application to keep their MAC OS protected and optimized.
It is very important to have a reliable anti-virus solution for the computer system. Combo cleaner is one of the best options for MAC users as detects and eliminates all sorts of threats like adware, browser hijacker, Trojans, and other malware. It is a light-themed, easy-to-use interface and keeps updating its threat database hourly to instant detect and remove any sort of malware. Thus ensuring not any malicious stuff is behind within the system.
How to Install and Scan with Combo Cleaner
- Click the above button to Download the “Combo Cleaner”;
- Once the download completes, double-click on the downloaded file;
- After the window opens, drag the Combo Cleaner program icon and drop into your “Applications folder” icon.
- Now, open your “Launchpad” and click on the “Combo Cleaner” icon.
- This will start the combo cleaner installation and updates its latest virus definition. Once done, Combo cleaner will launch;
- Click on “Antivirus” tab and choose the scan options like Quick, Full, and custom. (Full is recommended for the first time)
- Let the scan be completed and it will list all the threat found. Now, click on “Remove All Threats”;
- After removing the threats, click on the “uninstaller” to find and remove any unwanted programs. Select the program from the list and its related files and then click on “Remove Selected Items“
If you still have the second thought about this anti-malware, then you may want to check out our review article about Combo Cleaner.
If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions or open it from another uninfected computer or laptop and follow step-by-step manual removal instruction. Mac OS PDF Guide
Step 1. Ending Process Running Under The “Activity Monitor”
- Type “Activity Monitor” in the Launchpad to open it;
- Scroll through the list of running apps, look for the suspicious ones that appear unknown to you or taking huge CPU resources.
- Use the [x] button to quit the process.
Step 2. Remove ProductTask virus Malicious Apps From Mac OS
- Open “Finder” by clicking on the Finder application on your dock.
- In the left pane of the Finder, click on “Applications“.
- Next, you need to locate the ProductTask virus Adware/suspicious apps and remove them. The “Applications” window will display the list of all apps installed on your Mac OS.
- Now, you need to go through the list to find out the ProductTask virus and other suspicious/malicious or infectious app, select it then right click and then select “Move to Trash”. (Repeat this step until you remove all such apps).
- Now you need to empty the trash as sometimes program can restore themselves from the trash. On your dock, right-click on the trash icon and then select “Empty Trash”.
NOTE: if something looks suspicious to you but you are not sure of that, search the web to find out more about that app.
Step 3. Remove ProductTask virus Apps From Auto-Startup
Generally, malicious programs, Adware and spyware add themselves to the boot process to launch automatically whenever the device boots. So, you need to find such apps and remove from the startups.
- Open Apple menu ? System Preferences
- Now, choose “Users & Groups” section
- Select your username from the left pane;
- A list will appear showing login items; check the list and use “—” sign to disable ProductTask virus or other suspicious/unwanted apps you see. Close the screen.
- Next step, from the top menu, choose Go ? Go to Folder, then type /Users/Shared/ within the search box. In the “Sharedfolder”, you need to delete the “Similar” files and folders.
- Now Restart your Mac to make the changes into effect.
Step 4. Remove ProductTask virus Daemons And Agents From Mac’s Startup
- From top menu ? Choose Go ? Go to Folder
- Type in “/Library/LaunchDaemons”, within this location you will see lots of files with .plist extension. Scroll through it and find the ones which appear to be suspicious and delete them.
- Do the same for other launching agents locations:
Don’t forget to empty the trash and then restart the computer.
- After restart, again repeat step 1-2 and type in: /System/Library/Frameworks/ (look for the malicious file with .framework extension like /System/Library/Frameworks/VSearch.framework)
- Put the file to trash, if you find one with a malicious name.
- Similarly, do more searches within the location:
- /Library/Application Support/
- Put them to trash and again empty the trash and restart the computer.
Step 5. Uninstall ProductTask virus Or Unwanted/Suspicious Extensions From Browsers
Follow the steps to remove unwanted and suspicious extensions from the Safari browser:
- On the Safari browser, click the “Safari” menu then select “Preferences”.
- On the General tab of the Safari preferences, check for any unknown URL added as the default homepage, Within the “Homepage” field enter your preferred URL as your default start-page of the browser.
- Next, you need to check for malicious extensions, click on the “Extensions” tab on the same window.
- “Extensions” screen will list all the extensions installed on your safari browser, you need to browse through the list and uninstall the ones which appear to be Adware. If you find a malicious extension select it and then click on “Uninstall”. Repeat the steps to remove all unwanted extensions.
- Close the Safari browser.
To check for unknown extensions installed:
- Click on Chrome Menu(three vertical dots at top-right corner) ? Select “Settings” ? Choose “Extensions”.
- Scroll through the list of extensions installed on the Chrome browser, if any one of them appears to malicious then click on the “trash” icon next to it. This will remove the extension.
- Repeat the step until you are sure of the ones you like to keep.
To Reset The Browser:
Next, you need to reset the default settings like search engines, startup, and new tabs. It is better to use the default reset feature of the Google Chrome which will reset all the unwanted modifications done by third-party programs. Don’t worry you will not lose your saved passwords and bookmarks. However, it will delete cookies, extensions, startups, URLs, homepage and new tabs preferences.
- Click on Chrome’s main menu then choose “Settings“.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Advanced”.
- Under the Advanced page, go for “Reset and clean up” section, then click on “Reset settings to their original defaults”.
- Next, click on “Reset”, you will be prompted for a confirmation This will reset your startup page, a new tab page, search engine, and pinned tabs. It will also disable all extensions and clear temporary data like cookies. Your bookmarks, history, and saved passwords will not be cleared”
- Click on the “Reset Settings” button to confirm the procedure.
- After that, it may ask to restart your browser, click “Yes”.