You have landed here means you are certainly not able to open your some important files. Is your files are substituted with random extensions having
[8_random_characters]-[4_random_characters]-[4_random_characters]-[8_random_characters]-[12_random_characters].osiris extension, it means your computer is attacked by Osiris virus.
Osiris virus is a file-encrypting malware program that belongs to the family of Locky ransomware. This dangerous infection is out in the wild since 5th of December, 2016 and is still actively working to attack PCs and encrypt files to extort money.
Osiris Ransomware virus spreads through spam email campaigns. And once successfully installed, it uses strong ciphers RSA-2048 key and AES -256-bit encryption algorithm to encrypt files on the victim’s PC. It targets important documents, files, photos, videos, PDfs and so on of various extensions and append ransom characters along with .osiris extension. This means your files are no more accessible by any of the applications.
After encrypting the files, Osiris Ransomware drops three files on the desktop which are:
These files contains the ransom message and images that notifies users about the attack. The desktop screen is replaced by the ransom note that demands the payment of approx 2.5 Bitcoins that is around $1880.
There were various outbreaks of locky ransomware out of which Osiris virus is most enhanced one. As it is able to easily bypass the security detection and successfully carry out the encryption process. Lets dig deep about Osiris virus and learn about its removal process without paying ransom.
Osiris Ransomware virus Distribution methods:
The recent researches on arrival source of Osiris virus reports that it is uses spam email campaigns to distribute its payloads to the victims PC. The obfuscated emails are subjected as a invoice, job openings, offers or mails from higher authority. It also contains attachments that are in the zipped format. From its outlook the emails appear to be legitimate, thus users quickly agree to extract the zipped files.
Once user extracts the file, it drops .vbs extension file on the attacked system. The .vbs is a scripting language that is able to connect to the servers and execute the code. Thus, the Osiris virus gets activated on the host machine and it starts searching the files and directories for important files to encrypt.
Apart from spam emails, locky and its variants may also spread through phishing links, trojans and macro-enabled emails.
Thus users must avoid downloading attachments from unknown sender and never click on any scam links.
More about Osiris Ransomware virus?
Once Osiris virus gets active on the victim’s computer, it starts searching the files of the various extensions.
The targeted file extensions are:
.sql, .mp4, .7z, .rar, .m4a, .wma, .avi, .wmv, .csv, .d3dbsp, .zip, .sie, .sum, .ibank, .t13, .t12, .qdf, .gdb, .tax, .pkpass, .bc6, .bc7, .bkp, .qic, .bkf, .sidn, .sidd, .mddata, .itl, .itdb, .icxs, .hvpl, .hplg, .hkdb, .mdbackup, .syncdb, .gho, .cas, .svg, .map, .wmo, .itm, .sb, .fos, .mov, .vdf, .ztmp, .sis, .sid, .ncf, .menu, .layout, .dmp, .blob, .esm, .vcf, .vtf, .dazip, .fpk, .mlx, .kf, .iwd, .vpk, .tor, .psk, .rim, .w3x, .fsh, .ntl, .arch00, .lvl, .snx, .cfr, .ff, .vpp_pc, .lrf, .m2, .mcmeta, .vfs0, .mpqge, .kdb, .db0, .dba, .rofl, .hkx, .bar, .upk, .das, .iwi, .litemod, .asset, .forge, .ltx, .bsa, .apk, .re4, .sav, .lbf, .slm, .bik, .epk, .rgss3a, .pak, .big, wallet, .wotreplay, .xxx, .desc, .py, .m3u, .flv, .js, .css, .rb, .png, .jpeg, .txt, .p7c, .p7b, .p12, .pfx, .pem, .crt, .cer, .der, .x3f, .srw, .pef, .ptx, .r3d, .rw2, .rwl, .raw, .raf, .orf, .nrw, .mrwref, .mef, .erf, .kdc, .dcr, .cr2, .crw, .bay, .sr2, .srf, .arw, .3fr, .dng, .jpe, .jpg, .cdr, .indd, .ai, .eps, .pdf, .pdd, .psd, .dbf, .mdf, .wb2, .rtf, .wpd, .dxg, .xf, .dwg, .pst, .accdb, .mdb, .pptm, .pptx, .ppt, .xlk, .xlsb, .xlsm, .xlsx, .xls, .wps, .docm, .docx, .doc, .odb, .odc, .odm, .odp, .ods, .odt
Whenever it finds the compatible extension, it encrypts the file by using a combination of RSA-2048 and AES-128 encryption keys. Thus the encrypted files gets locked with a 16 digit unique alphanumeric code also containing the symbols and .osiris file extension.
Thus the new name of the file after encryption becomes:
After the encryption process is done, Osiris virus drops a ransom note to each of the folders where encryption is been done. The file is named as “OSIRIS-9b28.html” which explains the victim about the RSA-2048 and AES-128 encryption method through Wikipedia links.
The note further explains users that there is no way left for them to get back their files.In order to get the files back user needs to buy the decryption key by paying the ransom. To pay the ransom users need to install the “Tor browser” and carryout with the further instruction which redirects users to random payment website. The payment demanded from the victim is around 2.5 Bitcoins.Just like other ransomware, it too uses the bitcoins as the payment method to keep its identity anonymous and avoid detection.
The victim needs to buy the said Bitcoins from the provided website and then transfer Bitcoin to the given Bitcoin wallet of the ransomware authors.
Osiris ransomware also replaces the desktop wallpaper with locky ransomware which contains the ransom note written in red with black background. This is just too scary for any PC user.
The victims of the Osiris ransomware virus needs to immediately remove the threat using a professional anti-ransomware tool. We advise you not to pay them the ransom as it is not the complete solution. It is also no any guarantee that the ransomware authors will provide you the decryption key. Also if you have been the target once then next time you can be on their top list. So don’t encourage them by paying huge amount of your hard earned money. Rather i will suggest you should try other recovery methods which you can see in the end of this article.
How To RemoveOsiris Ransomware virus Without Paying Ransom
In this guide, you will find removal instruction of Osiris Ransomware virus both manually and using anti-malware tool. At times, virus does not allow the installation or scanning of anti-virus program, so you need to switch to “safe mode with networking”. After that you can try recovery of your data if you have any backup or we have listed some methods which may help you to recover some of your data.
Ransomware attacks can be haunting for any user as the system contains our valuable data which we cannot afford to lose. The best tip any security expert will give you is to keep backup of your important documents to fight against such threats. Don’t forget to read the preventive guidelines at the end of the article which will help you stay safe from such attacks in future.
Note! If your Mac OS is infected with Osiris virus then please visit this link for Mac OS Virus Removal Guide.
“Windows OS: Use Ransomware Defender To Remove Osiris virus (Recommended)”
Ransomware Defender Overview
ShieldApps’ Ransomware Defender is a specially designed security program for Ransomware threats. This anti-ransomware program detects and permanently blocks any ransomware prior to its attack on the protected system.
Ransomware Defender maintains its threat database and its related information which makes the program proactively detect any sort of threat and notifies users upon detection. This anti-ransomware program works well along with your primary anti-malware applications and does not interfere with its work.
Ransomware Defender is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. And is suitable for both home and business network. It has various prominent features like real-time ransomware detection, scan protection, history cleaner, file transfer tools and automated scans that helps in better detection of ransomware threat and blacklist them from your system permanently. Additionally, this anti-ransomware solution also provides firewall security, internet protection, mobile security, and virtual private network configuration. The solution also offers 24/7 customer support via email.
If you generally do not keep backups of your important files and documents or use your computer or device for storing financial and business details, then it is very important to keep them secure. Here Ransomware Defender is proved as a comprehensive anti-ransomware solution.
Do not compromise with your computer’s security.
Ransomware Defender solution comes with a subscription of $49.95.
Ransomware Defender Features
- Ransomware Protection: This ransomware solution effectively detects, removes and blacklists any ransomware that attempts to attack your system. And always keep monitoring the system within background for any possible attacks.
- Smart Ransomware Detection: Due to its advanced technology of threat detection, you can rest assured of system protection. It will give real-time updates and report of any suspicious activity.
- Internet Security: Protects from any unethical web activity, malicious attempts to breach your internet security, blocks any malicious websites and infected online scripts through ransomware generally enter.
- Scheduled Scan/Clean Action: It provides a user-friendly and fully automated solution for schedule scans at your preferred timings, thus even if you forgot to manually scan your computer you are still protected.
- Secure File Eraser: It’s a very important feature provided by Ransomware defender that empowers you to fix any of your files/applications that you suspect as infected.
- 24/7 PROTECTION: Ransomware Defender provides 24/7 real-time protection due to its auto and schedules scan mechanism that guards your system all the time.
Installing Ransomware Defender
Follow these steps to download and install Ransomware Defender on your computer.
- Click on the link to Download Ransomware Defender.
- Choose the location to save the installation file and click on “save”.
- After the download is completed, double-click on the downloaded file to open.
- If prompted by User Account Control: click on “Yes” button.
- This will open an installation wizard. Click on “Install“. Now simply follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation procedure.
- After Ransomware Defender successfully installs, a new tab or window will open on your browser showing confirmation of the installation.
Run Scan To Detect Ransomware threat on your computer
Follow the steps to properly scan and remove ransomware threat from your computer:
- Start the scan: Once the installation is completed, the Ransomware defender application window will open. Here you have 3 options for scan: Quick, Deep, and Custom. We suggest doing Deep scanning for the first time for better detection of ransomware threats.
- Let the scanning process be completed: Scan will take a few minutes so be patient and let the scan be fully completed.
- Review the Scan Results and remove the threats: Review the scan results that will show all the threats and malware found during the scan process, you can manually choose to remove the threats one-by-one by clicking on the threat name and select “delete” or simply click on the “Clean All” button.
Windows OS: Manually Find And Remove Osiris virus (Recommended Only For Advanced Users)
The manual steps guided below are the links separately made with caution, to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions or open it from another uninfected computer or laptop and follow step-by-step manual removal instruction. Windows OS PDF Guide.
Method 1: Remove Ransomware and its associated files from the computer through safe mode with command prompt.
- Reboot your computer to “Safe Mode with Command Prompt”
- End malicious process from “Task Manager”
- Deleting “Registry Entries” created by the Ransomware threat
- Deep Scan the infected computer to ensure complete removal (Recommended)
Method 2: Remove Ransomware virus using System Restore Procedure
After that, the ransomware threat should go, but if it is still there, then you need to try another method which is the “System Restore”. Click here to perform System Restore in Windows OS.
How to Restore the Encrypted Files?
Click here to know How you can restore the encrypted file.