Lokibot-Banking Trojan Threat
Lokibot is a dangerous Trojan that is detected as a Info-stealer. It means this malware is aimed to steal sensitive details of the user particularly the banking details from the infected device. It may also encrypt the important files within to scare users more like acting as a Ransomware threat.
This Trojan threat was first detected by the security researchers at SfyLab in late 2017. But its newer version is out and is infecting Android devices as well as windows OS.
Lokibot virus could spread through spam mails sent in bulks by employing bots or even can be embedded within fake apps downloaded from third-party websites. It is just like the MysteryBot Android Malware that also steals banking data.
The malware is not only restricted to steal the monetary information but even acts like a ransomware that that locks important files on the attacked device and present a lock screen alerting users of watching child pornography.
Uses obfuscated Techniques To Attack
The Lokibot virus gets the administrative privilege and rights at the time of installation, as comes embedded within fake apps, spam email links and freeware downloads just like W32.Downuk worm.
The hackers and criminal minds behind this threat is aimed to make huge profit by steal money from the bank accounts of users. So, whenever user opens their online banking apps or visit the website then the LokiBot virus presents a simulated screen that appears just like original banking page.
Obviously, users are unaware of the presence of Lokibot virus and they enter all the credentials of their bank account like login credentials, card details and PIN. As soon as user enters these data, the malware running within the background sends all the info to the hackers server. This is how they can easily get access to your confidential data and misuse it for frauds.
Not only that, Lokibot virus also distributes fake versions of legitimate apps like WhatsApp, Skype, Viber, and Outlook. This means that if you have downloaded or updated these apps from unknown sources. Then it will steal all the information shared on these apps. Thus, security experts always recommends to download/update programs from authentic and verified sources.
Lokibot virus also attempts other tricky approaches to mislead the users of infected devices:
- Pop-up fake notifications or alerts that might appear from your bank;
- Redirect user’s traffic to hackers websites for crypto-mining;
- Use your phone contact to send fake messages and even auto reply to them;
- Uses administrative privilege to download updates or fake programs on the device;
- Redirect to suspicious sites while browsing;
- Utilize the network and OS resources for digital currency mining.
Lokibot Acts As a Ransomware
If the user tries to delete or uninstall the program related to Lokibot virus, then it momentarily starts locking the files and acts just like a ransomware. For this, the Malware quickly reboots the device and shows a locked screen along with an alert that states your device is locked due to watching child pornography.
This is just a trick to scare users and make them pay the ransom to unlock their phones. The ransom demanded by the authors is in Bitcoins and the amount may vary $70-$100. The victims are also given the deadline to pay the ransom of about 48 hours.
According to the analysis, the encryption algorithm used by the LokiBot Trojan threat is not robust and can be recovered. It actually makes copies of original files and replace them with different names.
Users are not aware of these things and they quickly agree to pay the ransom to get their phone unlocked and in normal working condition. As the phone contains various important data which they may not have any back ups.
The cyber-criminals and hackers take the advantage of our unconsciousness to mislead and extort money.
As per reports the authors of Lokibot malware had already earned over $1.5 million and is still spreading its malicious program to earn more and more money illegally.
How to Remove Lokibot Malware from Android and Windows OS
Remove Lokibot From Android Devices
- If your Android device smartphone/tablet infected with Lokibot Virus, then follow the steps:
- Press and hold your device’s Power button. This will show up the Power off menu;
- Now, press and hold the Power off button until you are prompted with “Reboot to Safe Mode”;
- Press “OK” to enter into the Safe mode;
- Now, you need to locate the Malicious app and deny all the administrative rights of the app and then remove the virus.
- Open Settings(the gear icon), and click on “Apps”;
- Go through the list and locate the Malicious app, and Uninstall it.
- Clear Cache of the device to remove all residue of the apps.
- If the apps does not allow you to remove, it means has the administrative permissions, to turn it off:
- Click on Settings –> Security –> Device administrators.
- Open the app from the list which has the administrative permission. Tap to open.
- Now, click on“Deactivate” button –> “OK”.
- You may need to restart your device and then try out uninstalling the malicious app again.
- Restart your device Normally as you do.
- Scan Your Android Device with powerful anti-virus program. (For complete Guide read here Android Infected? All tips and tricks to get rid of it.)
Remove Lokibot From Windows OS
- To remove this damaging malware from your windows OS, please follow the steps carefully:
Step 2: Remove Trojan Virus Using System Restore Procedure. (Advanced option)
Step 3: Remove Lokibot Trojan using HitmanPro.Alert
HitmanPro.Alert is an advanced anti-malware program that takes on proactive approach towards threat behavior and its activities. Its cloud-based scanning technique is deeply scans the system to the possible locations where threats mostly resides. This is a real-time malware program that delivers protection from latest threat, crypto-malware, ransomware, exploits, spyware, risks related to online transactions.
HitmanPro.Alert is best-in-class that provides various advanced features like:
- Safe Browsing;
- Exploit Mitigation;
- Risk reduction:
- Key-loggers Protection and many such.
Running HitmanPro.Alert on your computer will provide your real-time status, checks the browser integrity and alerts or any suspicious activity. So that you can have a safe browsing and online transactions. Read the full review of HitmanPro.Alert here.
Steps To Install And Run HitmanPro.Alert
- Click on the provided link to download HitmanPro.Alert anti-malware;
- Now, open the download folder or where your program is downloaded to locate “hmpalert3”;
- Click on it, to begin the installation;
- It will ask your User Account control, if prompted click on “yes”;
- The download should begin shortly. HitmanPro.Alert window will appear, where you need to choose the options:
Choose Protection level as Maximum
And tick the other boxes and finally click on “Install”.
HitmanPro.Alert only takes 5MB of your memory and is very quick to install.
- After the installation is complete, the scan will start. First scan may take up some minutes, as it will scan the whole computer.
- The scan results are displayed. Carefully look down the list. You can here, the scan has found 1 Riskware and thousands of traces which can be risky.
- You can select the threat to delete, quranantize, ignore or, mark as safe. If you want to remove all the threats, then simply click on the “Next” button below.
- HitmanPro.Alert first creates a restore point and then starts the removal process. This helps to recover from any damage.
So, now you are done, with the removal process with HitmanPro.Alert.
Step 4: Restore Registry Entries
- After Removal of Lokibot Manager Trojan, it is important to restore the damages done by it. As it attacks windows registry to add its keys and values to execute as the system starts. All these keys may help the program to regenerate its codes. To repair the registry and restore to its previous state, we recommend the “Reimage Tool“, that cleans all the traces of threat and fix all windows errors.
Preventive Measures to stop malware Attacks On your android device
- Be cautious while downloading any apps;
- Do not provide any valuable information to unknown websites.
- Try to keep backup of your important data, photos and files.
- Never download or update any apps from spam links or third-party websites;
- Do not download or follow links to the spam emails and attachments;
- Keep your device locked with password;
- Regularly scan your device with reputed security application.