You landed here, it means your files on the PC may be encrypted with .lokas extension, this is an indication of your computer infected with ransomware threat.
Ransom Demanded: $980
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lokas is a file-encrypting malware that prevent users from accessing their important files on the PC. It is a variant of STOP ransomware like .rezuc, .CAGO, .popotic, and .vesad ransomware threats. This crypto-malware uses strong encryption algorithm to encrypt data and append “.lokas” extension to the files. Thus, if your file is encrypted by Lokas ransomware than, you see your file named “myhome.jpg” replaced by “myhome.jpg.Lokas” extension.
In order to unlock the files the affected users need to contact to the authors of the ransomware by provided email address written within the ransom note. The aim behind such activity is to extort huge amounts of money from victims to buy the decryption tool. After encrypting the files, the ransomware leaves a ransom note named as ” _readme.txt”.
The ransom note “_readme.txt”:
According to the above note, the extortionist claims of any unauthorised activity by the user due to which the files like documents, images, videos, PDFs and others are encrypted. The Lokas uses strong RSA encryption algorithm to lock the files with a pair of public and private keys. While the public key is stored on the victim’s PC as unique Id which helps the hackers to recognize their victims, and the private key is stored to the hackers server. Without the private key the data cant be unlocked. The Lokas ransomware demands a huge ransom of $980 in the form of Bitcoins within 72 hours of the deadline.
How Lokas ransomware Attacks
The most common way of Lokas ransomware distribution is spam email attachments. Cyber criminals send out malicious emails in bulks via spam bots that randomly shoots out infectious mails to thousands of users. The email might looks appealing containing any attractive offer, invoice, shipment details, job offers or any government document. Thus, users quickly agree open the attached link or download the malicious document.
The links had hidden java-script codes that quickly starting running within the background and downloads the payloads of the threat on the target system. Also, the macro-enabled document is used to drop the ransomware threat on the system. Thus you should be very careful before opening any emails from unknown source.
The best way to deal with Lokas ransomware is to quickly remove the ransomware threat and restore the files from backup. There are also some data recovery tool you can try at the end of this article. It might be possible that the ransomware deletes the shadow volume copies of the files that Windows OS keeps as backup. So manual removal is not possible. In this scenario, users need to adopt precautionary measures to deal with such destructive ransomware. Paying ransom should never be an option, as there is no guarantee that you will get your files back after paying the ransom. Secondly, you will lose your money and sensitive data both.
It is very important to focus on securing our data saved in the drives through backup solutions. And keep an anti-virus program like ransomware defender active on the system that proactively block any harmful objects that attempt to install.
Before starting the removal you need to keep the backup of any files that are encrypted. Secondly, keeps a copy of the ransom note to some other computer or flash drives. As security experts may realize the decryption key for the threats later. So, you can use the public key to match with the decryptor.
How To Remove Lokas Ransomware virus Without Paying Ransom
In this guide, you will find removal instruction of Lokas Ransomware virus both manually and using anti-malware tool. At times, virus does not allow the installation or scanning of anti-virus program, so you need to switch to “safe mode with networking”. After that you can try recovery of your data if you have any backup or we have listed some methods which may help you to recover some of your data.
Use Ransomware Defender To Remove Lokas Ransomware(Recommended)”
Ransomware Defender Overview
ShieldApps’ Ransomware Defender is a specially designed security program for Ransomware threats. This anti-ransomware program detects and permanently blocks any ransomware prior to its attack on the protected system.
Ransomware Defender maintains its threat database and its related information which makes the program proactively detect any sort of threat and notifies users upon detection. This anti-ransomware program works well along with your primary anti-malware applications and does not interfere with its work.
Ransomware Defender is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. And is suitable for both home and business network. It has various prominent features like real-time ransomware detection, scan protection, history cleaner, file transfer tools and automated scans that helps in better detection of ransomware threat and blacklist them from your system permanently. Additionally, this anti-ransomware solution also provides firewall security, internet protection, mobile security, and virtual private network configuration. The solution also offers 24/7 customer support via email.
If you generally do not keep backups of your important files and documents or use your computer or device for storing financial and business details, then it is very important to keep them secure. Here Ransomware Defender is proved as a comprehensive anti-ransomware solution.
Do not compromise with your computer’s security.
Ransomware Defender solution comes with a subscription of $49.95.
Ransomware Defender Features
- Ransomware Protection: This ransomware solution effectively detects, removes and blacklists any ransomware that attempts to attack your system. And always keep monitoring the system within background for any possible attacks.
- Smart Ransomware Detection: Due to its advanced technology of threat detection, you can rest assured of system protection. It will give real-time updates and report of any suspicious activity.
- Internet Security: Protects from any unethical web activity, malicious attempts to breach your internet security, blocks any malicious websites and infected online scripts through ransomware generally enter.
- Scheduled Scan/Clean Action: It provides a user-friendly and fully automated solution for schedule scans at your preferred timings, thus even if you forgot to manually scan your computer you are still protected.
- Secure File Eraser: It’s a very important feature provided by Ransomware defender that empowers you to fix any of your files/applications that you suspect as infected.
- 24/7 PROTECTION: Ransomware Defender provides 24/7 real-time protection due to its auto and schedules scan mechanism that guards your system all the time.
Installing Ransomware Defender
- Click on the link to Download Ransomware Defender.
- Choose the location to save the installation file and click on “save”.
- After the download is completed, double-click on the downloaded file to open.
- If prompted by User Account Control: click on “Yes” button.
- This will open an installation wizard. Click on “Install“. Now simply follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation procedure.
- After Ransomware Defender successfully installs, a new tab or window will open on your browser showing confirmation of the installation.
Run Scan To Detect Lokas Ransomware threat on your computer
Follow the steps to properly scan and remove Lokas ransomware threat from your computer:
- Start the scan: Once the installation is completed, the Ransomware defender application window will open. Here you have 3 options for scan: Quick, Deep, and Custom. We suggest doing Deep scanning for the first time for better detection of ransomware threats.
- Let the scanning process be completed: Scan will take a few minutes so be patient and let the scan be fully completed.
- Review the Scan Results and remove the threats: Review the scan results that will show all the threats and malware found during the scan process, you can manually choose to remove the threats one-by-one by clicking on the threat name and select “delete” or simply click on the “Clean All” button.
Manually Find And Remove Lokas (Recommended Only For Advanced Users)
The manual steps guided below are the links separately made with caution, to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions or open it from another uninfected computer or laptop and follow step-by-step manual removal instruction. Windows OS PDF Guide.
Method 1: Remove Lokas Ransomware and its associated files from the computer through safe mode with command prompt.
- Reboot your computer to “Safe Mode with Command Prompt”
- End malicious process from “Task Manager“
- Deep Scan the infected computer to ensure complete removal (Recommended)
Method 2: Remove Lokas Ransomware virus using System Restore Procedure
After that, the ransomware threat should go, but if it is still there, then you need to try another method which is the “System Restore”. Click here to perform System Restore in Windows OS.
How to Restore the Encrypted Files?
Click here to know How you can restore the encrypted file.