What is KingMiner Trojan?
KingMiner Trojan is a cryptojacker that aims to mine Monero coins by using the CPU and power resources of the host machine. This trojan horse is clever to hide its identity by taking on anonymous program name one like powered.exe. This approach help it to conceal its original identity and escape from detection.
It usually installs within temp directory or windows directory. Once the program is active on your computer, you may see your CPU usage showing more than 90%. Also the mining process needs high power, so your device may heat up quickly.
If you notice any unknown process consuming too much CPU then it can be KingMiner Trojan. Read more to know about this trojan horse and its removal solution.
KingMiner Trojan Distribution Sources:
KingMiner Trojan spreads silently through bundled installers which conceal their program within and get easily install inside the system. Other sources include spam email attachments, fake updates, download of freeware and shareware via unofficial/third-party sites and peer-to-peer (P2P) sharing networks.
Any of these incautious activity can lead to series of illegitimate activities like installing Trojan programs, tampering system settings and executing unknown tasks.
KingMiner Trojan destructive actions:
Once KingMiner Trojan is successfully installed, it drops its associated files to various directories depending upon the CPU architecture that is x32 and x64. Then it installs a process named as powered.exe that appears to be legitimate Windows process. But although it is not. The crypto-miner program uses XMRig (open-source legitimate crypto-mining tool) to secretly mine for Monero currency.
The cyber criminals modified the original XMRig mining code and named it as KingMiner Trojan. This mining trojan program exploits the Microsoft IIS and SQL servers to use as much CPU power to mine the cryptocurrency.
The changes made to the system files under C:Windowsservicingsubdirectory:
For successful execution of its tasks, it also modifies registry entries, files and processes including “starter.exe”. This executes the PowerShell command to initiate the powered.exe miner process as the system starts. While the process is running, you can see the powered.exe process under the task manager.
KingMiner Trojan mining process takes up huge CPU and GPU resources to mine for Monero currency. Hackers are constantly exploiting the system’s resources to earn profit. Soon the infected computer will start freezing every now and then, applications and games will too slow to load. Crypto miners like Gridcash CPU miner and DBUpdater.exe slowly affect the hardware and drivers which eventually hampers the lifespan of the system.
How to Remove KingMiner Trojan from infected device?
CPU Miners program does a lots of changes to the host machine to silently executes lots of activities within background. It also downloads and installs other files associated with it which may appear to be legitimate program file but it could be actually a KingMiner Trojan or other harmful program. This makes the detection process difficult.
KingMiner Trojan program should be removed as early as possible from the compromised system and avoid any other long term damage.
Security experts never recommend attempting manual removal for a CPU Miner threat like KingMiner Trojan as it may cause adverse effect on the computer and further leads to complete damage. Always go a reputable and powerful anti-malware scan to your infected system to detect and remove the KingMiner Trojan threat.
Note! If your Mac OS is infected with KingMiner Trojan then please visit this link for Mac OS Virus Removal Guide.
“Windows OS: Use Anti-Malware To Scan And Remove KingMiner Trojan (Recommended)”
SpyHunter is a giant among the security programs that use advanced threat detection technology to remove any sort of Adware/PUPs, Browser hijacker, Trojans, Rootkits, Fake system optimization tools, worms, and rootkits.
It not only remove threats but provides rigorous 24/7 protection from any unsolicited programs, vulnerability or rootkits attacks.
Why we are recommending SpyHunter is because of its efficiency, lightweight that only takes up 12% of the CPU space and simpler user-interface that is designed for both beginners and advanced users. Besides that, it has features which require less-user monitoring, custom scan options, system guard and 24*7 help desk support. Keeping SpyHunter actively running on your computer adds an extra security layer that protects your computer system from being attacked.
Spyhunter certified by “West Coast Labs’ Checkmark Certification System” gives you a complete money-back guarantee, if you are not satisfied with its results. Because they are sure you will going to have it on your system. So, it’s a win-win situation for you try out SpyHunter free version and if you are fully satisfied to get registered for full protection against all malicious odds that hampers your security.
Instructions To Download And Install SpyHunter 5
- Once the file “SpyHunter-Installer.exe” is downloaded, double-click on the file to open (you can see it in your browser’s bottom-left corner);
- Click “Yes” to the “User Account Control” dialog box;
- Now, choose your preferred language and then click on “OK” for the next installation step;
- Now, click on “Continue” button to proceed with the To proceed to the installation;
- Now installation will begin, please be patience as it may take few minutes;
- Click on the “Finish” button to successfully install the program.
Note: It may ask you to enter your information- there you can add your details or go with the default information to start the program.
Steps To Perform System Scan with SpyHunter
- Once the program is installed successfully, the SpyHunter 5 Anti-malware program will launch automatically. If it does not then locate the SpyHunter icon on the desktop or click on “Start” ? “Programs” ? Select “SpyHunter”.
- Now, To start the scan click on the “Home” tab and select “Start Scan Now” button. The program will now start scanning for threats, malware, unwanted programs, rootkits, and system vulnerabilities.
- The scan will report will all the details of the result along with system errors, vulnerabilities and malware found.
- SpyHunter 5 groups your scan results into categories determined by the type of objects detected: “Malware“, “PUPs” (Potentially Unwanted Programs), “Privacy“, “Vulnerabilities“, and “Whitelisted objects“, as shown in the screenshot below:
- To select an object for removal, just select the checkbox at the left of the object. You can select or deselect any objects displayed in the “Malware,” “PUPs” or “Privacy” tabs. We have included a convenient “Select All” feature that will allow you to select or deselect all objects displayed in a specific tab. To utilize this feature, simply select the checkbox at the left in the specific tab (9)
- Once you have selected which objects you would like to remove, click the “Next” button.
Note: Any objects that you choose to remove will be securely stored in SpyHunter’s “Quarantine.” If at any time, you would like to restore a previously removed object(s), you can do so through SpyHunter’s “Restore” feature. To locate the object, go to the “Malware/PC Scan” tab and then click the “Quarantine” tab. From the “Quarantine” tab, you may restore an object by selecting the checkbox at the left of the object and clicking the “Restore” button.
If you want to know more about it, you are welcomed to check out the full review of SpyHunter 5.
“Windows OS: Manually Find And Remove KingMiner Trojan ( Only Recommended For Advanced Users)”
The manual steps guided below are the links separately made with caution, to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions or open it from another uninfected computer or laptop and follow step-by-step manual removal instruction. Windows OS PDF Guide.
- Step 1: Manually Killing the malicious processes, disabling suspicious programs and then removing the remaining virus and its traces by scanning.
- Step 2: Remove Trojan Virus Using System Restore Procedure.
- Step 3: Download effective antivirus program and scan your computer to ensure successful removal of Trojan threat.