Grethen Ransomware Description
Name: Grethen Ransomware
Extension: .[email@example.com] Note: READ ME.hta
Ransom Demanded: ???
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
A new ransomware spotted recently named as Grethen Ransomware. It is found to be a variant of Scarab Ransomware that is a persistent file-encrypting malware threat. Like other ransomware threat, it also manages to propagate inside the system using phishing email campaigns. Once inside, Grethen Ransomware scans the whole system to locate files of various extensions like documents, images, videos, PDFs, excels, database and many such.
After that, the crypto-malware runs the encryption algorithm to encrypt the targeted files with unique extension that is ‘.[firstname.lastname@example.org]’. The extension has the ransomware name along with the email address it uses to contact “email@example.com”.
Method Of Propagation
According to a researcher, it is not clear exactly how Grethen Ransomware enters inside a system. But as per the threat behavior, it is believed that the malware may use spam email campaigns laden with macro-enabled attachment to drop the payloads on the system. Other sources may also include, downloading pirated software, security flaws within the software, fake updates and exploit kits. Any of these can be responsible for infecting your system with Grethen Ransomware.
The Encryption Process
The file named as ‘robin.jpg’ will be renamed to ‘robin.jpg.[firstname.lastname@example.org]. As a consequence, the files encrypted by Grethen Ransomware cannot be accessed without the decryption key. After that, the ransomware creates a ransom note named as ‘READ ME.hta.’ The note contains the notice of the encryption occurred and the instructions to recover the files.
The main goal behind this is to extort huge ransom amount from the victims in order to make them purchase the decryption key from them. As the files are encrypted using a unique encryption key that can only be recovered by providing the private key of the same.
You can be the lucky one to deal with the Grethen Ransomware if you have a backup of your important data. As ransomware threats have now become a successful business-model for cyber-criminals, thus, it is better to adopt safety measures to prevent such attacks. A regular backup of files is very important.
The Ransom Note
As mentioned within the description, after completing the encryption process, the malware creates two ransom notes named as ‘READ ME.txt’ and ‘READ ME.hta.’ The notes are dropped within the desktop and to the folders where the files have been encrypted. According to the note, the authors of the ransomware asks victim to contact them via the provided email address ‘email@example.com’ and ‘firstname.lastname@example.org.’ The victim can send 3 files to the above email address not more than 3MB of size that they will decrypt for free to make users believe. After that, for complete decryption, they need to buy the decryption key from the authors of the ransomware by paying the ransom amount in the form of Bitcoins.
But security experts advice not to pay the ransom as it will encourage them to carry out more such frauds to extort money illegally.
So the best way to deal with the malware threat is to securely remove the virus and try out data recovery tools or restore files from your backup. This guide presents all possible solutions to remove Grethen and methods of data recovery.
How To Remove Grethen Ransomware virus Without Paying Ransom
In this guide, you will find removal instruction of Grethen Ransomware virus both manually and using anti-malware tool. At times, virus does not allow the installation or scanning of anti-virus program, so you need to switch to “safe mode with networking”. After that you can try recovery of your data if you have any backup or we have listed some methods which may help you to recover some of your data.
Use Ransomware Defender To Remove Grethen Ransomware(Recommended)”
Ransomware Defender Overview
ShieldApps’ Ransomware Defender is a specially designed security program for Ransomware threats. This anti-ransomware program detects and permanently blocks any ransomware prior to its attack on the protected system.
Ransomware Defender maintains its threat database and its related information which makes the program proactively detect any sort of threat and notifies users upon detection. This anti-ransomware program works well along with your primary anti-malware applications and does not interfere with its work.
Ransomware Defender is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. And is suitable for both home and business network. It has various prominent features like real-time ransomware detection, scan protection, history cleaner, file transfer tools and automated scans that helps in better detection of ransomware threat and blacklist them from your system permanently. Additionally, this anti-ransomware solution also provides firewall security, internet protection, mobile security, and virtual private network configuration. The solution also offers 24/7 customer support via email.
If you generally do not keep backups of your important files and documents or use your computer or device for storing financial and business details, then it is very important to keep them secure. Here Ransomware Defender is proved as a comprehensive anti-ransomware solution.
Do not compromise with your computer’s security.
Ransomware Defender solution comes with a subscription of $49.95.
Ransomware Defender Features
- Ransomware Protection: This ransomware solution effectively detects, removes and blacklists any ransomware that attempts to attack your system. And always keep monitoring the system within background for any possible attacks.
- Smart Ransomware Detection: Due to its advanced technology of threat detection, you can rest assured of system protection. It will give real-time updates and report of any suspicious activity.
- Internet Security: Protects from any unethical web activity, malicious attempts to breach your internet security, blocks any malicious websites and infected online scripts through ransomware generally enter.
- Scheduled Scan/Clean Action: It provides a user-friendly and fully automated solution for schedule scans at your preferred timings, thus even if you forgot to manually scan your computer you are still protected.
- Secure File Eraser: It’s a very important feature provided by Ransomware defender that empowers you to fix any of your files/applications that you suspect as infected.
- 24/7 PROTECTION: Ransomware Defender provides 24/7 real-time protection due to its auto and schedules scan mechanism that guards your system all the time.
Installing Ransomware Defender
- Click on the link to Download Ransomware Defender.
- Choose the location to save the installation file and click on “save”.
- After the download is completed, double-click on the downloaded file to open.
- If prompted by User Account Control: click on “Yes” button.
- This will open an installation wizard. Click on “Install“. Now simply follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation procedure.
- After Ransomware Defender successfully installs, a new tab or window will open on your browser showing confirmation of the installation.
Run Scan To Detect Grethen Ransomware threat on your computer
Follow the steps to properly scan and remove Grethen ransomware threat from your computer:
- Start the scan: Once the installation is completed, the Ransomware defender application window will open. Here you have 3 options for scan: Quick, Deep, and Custom. We suggest doing Deep scanning for the first time for better detection of ransomware threats.
- Let the scanning process be completed: Scan will take a few minutes so be patient and let the scan be fully completed.
- Review the Scan Results and remove the threats: Review the scan results that will show all the threats and malware found during the scan process, you can manually choose to remove the threats one-by-one by clicking on the threat name and select “delete” or simply click on the “Clean All” button.
Manually Find And Remove Grethen (Recommended Only For Advanced Users)
The manual steps guided below are the links separately made with caution, to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions or open it from another uninfected computer or laptop and follow step-by-step manual removal instruction. Windows OS PDF Guide.
Method 1: Remove Grethen Ransomware and its associated files from the computer through safe mode with command prompt.
- Reboot your computer to “Safe Mode with Command Prompt”
- End malicious process from “Task Manager“
- Deep Scan the infected computer to ensure complete removal (Recommended)
Method 2: Remove Grethen Ransomware virus using System Restore Procedure
After that, the ransomware threat should go, but if it is still there, then you need to try another method which is the “System Restore”. Click here to perform System Restore in Windows OS.
How to Restore the Encrypted Files?
Click here to know How you can restore the encrypted file.