If your computer is suddenly started running slow, or you see various unknown background processes running within the task manager, then it might be infected by GootKit botnet Trojan. ? This guide is based on the findings of GootKit presented by security experts.
Going through this knowledge base you will get to know more details about GootKit , what is it, how it attacks and solution to remove it.
What is GootKit?
GootKit is detected as a harmful botnet Trojan program that is designed by the cyber-criminals that collect sensitive data from target computer. This threat is recently been reported causing severe damages worldwide. Like Scranos, Emotet and Bearfoos Trojan threats, it also makes the detection process difficult on the compromised PC.
GootKit is generally distributed through phishing emails, clicking links on suspicious websites, pirated video downloads and visiting malicious websites. Once arrived on the system, it triggers lots of changes to the Windows settings that makes it easier to carry out malicious tasks without seeking users permission.
If you don’t want any cyber-criminal to hold the control of your device, then you should quickly run a scan to your infected computer.
What damages it can do to the targeted device?
While, GootKit Trojan is aimed to steal financial data stored on the victim’s PC, but it can also allow remote attackers to use the system for illicit purposes like:
- Download arbitrary files and execute them on the system;
- Drop other harmful malware Access predetermined remote locations
- Receive commands from remote location via command & control server to execute them.
- Harvest information about System configuration like hardware components, CPU and GPU processors, login credentials of FTP servers;
- Modifies Windows Registries keys and sub-key values
- Start background processes, schedule tasks and stop any running process.
- Send spam email through bot attacks
Many anti-virus detect GootKit by other names like Trojan Gootkit.A, Trojan.Gootkit and Backdoor.Gootkit.
The above activities performed by the GootKit can directly affect the privacy of the users and victimize them of various frauds. GootKit malware may show no any symptoms on the infected computer, it can only be detected by real-time anti-malware program. It will trace the installed components and locate files to isolate it from the system and then remove Gootkit Trojan completely from the PC.
How to Remove GootKit Trojan
The removal process of GootKit Trojan is tough like any other virus. It can leave you puzzled as it does too many modifications to the system internal settings. This may take enough time and patience to do it manually. That even may not ensure you complete removal.
For our readers to understand, we have put our best possible solution that can help to remove this threat. But we suggest you to only try this if you are familiar with system configurations, registries keys and its subkeys values and also boot settings.
While performing the manual solution, be enough cautious and if you get confused at any point of time, them leave it and take the help of powerful anti-malware program to detect and remove the virus. This will not only ensure safe removal of GootKit Trojan but also restore default system settings.
To Remove GootKit Trojan, follow these steps:
The manual steps below contains the instructions separately to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions. Or you can open it from another uninfected computer or laptop. And follow step-by-step manual removal instruction: Windows OS PDF Guide.
Step 1:Remove GootKit Trojan From WindowsOS
Step 2: Remove Trojan Virus Using System Restore Procedure. (Advanced option)
Step 3: Remove GootKit Trojan using HitmanPro.Alert
HitmanPro.Alert is an advanced anti-malware program that takes on proactive approach towards threat behavior and its activities. Its cloud-based scanning technique is deeply scans the system to the possible locations where threats mostly resides. This is a real-time malware program that delivers protection from latest threat, crypto-malware, ransomware, exploits, spyware, risks related to online transactions.
HitmanPro.Alert is best-in-class that provides various advanced features like:
- Safe Browsing;
- Exploit Mitigation;
- Risk reduction:
- Key-loggers Protection and many such.
Running HitmanPro.Alert on your computer will provide your real-time status, checks the browser integrity and alerts or any suspicious activity. So that you can have a safe browsing and online transactions. Read the full review of HitmanPro.Alert here.
Steps To Install And Run HitmanPro.Alert
- Click on the provided link to download HitmanPro.Alert anti-malware;
- Now, open the download folder or where your program is downloaded to locate “hmpalert3”;
- Click on it, to begin the installation;
- It will ask your User Account control, if prompted click on “yes”;
- The download should begin shortly. HitmanPro.Alert window will appear, where you need to choose the options:
Choose Protection level as Maximum
And tick the other boxes and finally click on “Install”.
HitmanPro.Alert only takes 5MB of your memory and is very quick to install.
- After the installation is complete, the scan will start. First scan may take up some minutes, as it will scan the whole computer.
- The scan results are displayed. Carefully look down the list. You can here, the scan has found 1 Riskware and thousands of traces which can be risky.
- You can select the threat to delete, quranantize, ignore or, mark as safe. If you want to remove all the threats, then simply click on the “Next” button below.
- HitmanPro.Alert first creates a restore point and then starts the removal process. This helps to recover from any damage.
So, now you are done, with the removal process with HitmanPro.Alert.
Step 4: System Restore Procedure
- After Removal of GootKit Trojan, it is important to restore the damages done by it. As it attacks windows registry to add its keys and values to execute as the system starts. All these keys may help the program to regenerate its codes. To repair the registry and restore to its previous state, we recommend the “Reimage Tool“, that cleans all the traces of threat and fix all windows errors.
Best Practices To avoid Such Infections
- Keep a secure firewall for the system. This will help block any unwanted internet connections to your device.
- Do not open spam mail attachments from unknown sender. This is the common way through which malicious programs intrude inside. Thus, we should be cautious while getting mails from non-trusted sources.
- Keep the software program updates, so that it does not have any security patches.
- Be very cautious while downloading any freeware from third-party websites. Always download software programs from official websites. Thus avoiding any accidental download of Adware/PUPs.
- Do not use public wi-fi for online transactions, as they are not fully secure and can infect the device.
- Use a powerful anti-virus program that will keep track of the security.
By following the above tips, you can avoid viruses or unwanted programs entering on your computer. Hope this article is helpful to you.