GandCrab V5.3 ransomware is a crypto-malware threat that encrypts most of the file on the target computer. This guide will help you to know more details about this threat and its removal solution.
GandCrab V5.3 Ransomware:
GandCrab V5.3 is an infamous file-encrypting virus that belongs to the family of notorious GandCrab ransomware threat. This crypto-malware was first spotted in 2018, and since then it has managed to infect millions of PCs by encrypting files. It aims to earn huge profit by demanding ransom from the victim to unlock the files.
GandCrab is till now one of the most destructive ransomware threat that is constantly attacking the users. Both individuals and organizations all over the world are under its attack. Since then, its authors have released various versions of the ransomware including GandCrab, GandCrab v2, GandCrab v3, GandCrab v4, and GandCrab v5. There are also sub versions of all the above variants.
GandCrab V5.3 is the latest ransomware of this family that is also using strong ciphers like RSA 2048 and AES 256 to encrypt data on the target system. And the encrypted data is appended with a random numbers including a unique ID which defines the machine. After encryption been done, it places a ransom note within the directories where files were encrypted named as “-MANUAL.txt”. As well as within the desktop screen changed by “ENCRYPTED BY GANDCRAB 5.3”. The authors demand the ransom to be paid in the form of Bitcoins.
However, users must not agree to pay the ransomware as it is no any guarantee that even after paying the ransom, you will get your files back. So it is better to try out decryption tools available online, or remove GandCrab V5.3 ransomware and restore files from backup. You can also try out some data recovery tools.
GandCrab V5.3 Ransomware virus Distribution methods:
The payloads of the GandCrab V5.3 ransomware is mainly distributed through phishing email attachments. The cyber criminals uses spam bots, exploits or rootkits to spread out the spam mail laden with the infected attachment.
The emails might appear legit as it attempts to trick users by making them believe in the subject line of mail. It appears to be an invoice, shipping, prize claim, discount offer or similar like these.
These titles make users curious to open the attachment on their computer by clicking the download link within the mail. Once the user does so, the payloads starts installing the ransomware threat on the computer.
Along with that, GandCrab V5.3 ransomware can also spread through brute-force attacks by exploiting the vulnerabilities of Remote Desktop Services (RDP) ports. You should always choose a strong password for your network, don’t leave it open to be exploited. Also, never open emails from suspicious sender. Do scan the attached document before downloading it on the computer or any device.
More about GandCrab V5.3 Ransomware virus?
Once successfully installed, the GandCrab V5.3 ransomware restricts user from accessing the files on their device. The very first sign of infection is files on the PC encrypted by random extension. This ransomware is designed to attack mainly Windows operating system. And sends the system related information to its authors to further receive instructions remotely via C&C server.
GandCrab V5.3 ransomware scans through the whole system to search for important files within the directories. The files are of various extensions and file type targeted are documents, PDFs, images, Videos, excel sheets and many others. It uses advanced encryption algorithm AES-265 and RSA, to generate unique key for each of its victims. The private key is stored on the remote server that belongs to the hacker. Thus, users are left with no choice rather than paying the ransom.
The list of file extensions are:
.sql, .mp4, .7z, .rar, .m4a, .wma, .avi, .wmv, .csv, .d3dbsp, .zip, .sie, .sum, .ibank, .t13, .t12, .qdf, .gdb, .tax, .pkpass, .bc6, .bc7, .bkp, .qic, .bkf, .sidn, .sidd, .mddata, .itl, .itdb, .icxs, .hvpl, .hplg, .hkdb, .mdbackup, .syncdb, .gho, .cas, .svg, .map, .wmo, .itm, .sb, .fos, .mov, .vdf, .ztmp, .sis, .sid, .ncf, .menu, .layout, .dmp, .blob, .esm, .vcf, .vtf, .dazip, .fpk, .mlx, .kf, .iwd, .vpk, .tor, .psk, .rim, .w3x, .fsh, .ntl, .arch00, .lvl, .snx, .cfr, .ff, .vpp_pc, .lrf, .m2, .mcmeta, .vfs0, .mpqge, .kdb, .db0, .dba, .rofl, .hkx, .bar, .upk, .das, .iwi, .litemod, .asset, .forge, .ltx, .bsa, .apk, .re4, .sav, .lbf, .slm, .bik, .epk, .rgss3a, .pak, .big, wallet, .wotreplay, .xxx, .desc, .py, .m3u, .flv, .js, .css, .rb, .png, .jpeg, .txt, .p7c, .p7b, .p12, .pfx, .pem, .crt, .cer, .der, .x3f, .srw, .pef, .ptx, .r3d, .rw2, .rwl, .raw, .raf, .orf, .nrw, .mrwref, .mef, .erf, .kdc, .dcr, .cr2, .crw, .bay, .sr2, .srf, .arw, .3fr, .dng, .jpe, .jpg, .cdr, .indd, .ai, .eps, .pdf, .pdd, .psd, .dbf, .mdf, .wb2, .rtf, .wpd, .dxg, .xf, .dwg, .pst, .accdb, .mdb, .pptm, .pptx, .ppt, .xlk, .xlsb, .xlsm, .xlsx, .xls, .wps, .docm, .docx, .doc, .odb, .odc, .odm, .odp, .ods, .odt
Once the files on the system is encrypted, the GandCrab V5.3 leaves a ransom note to notify users about the attack. The ransom note is named as “-MANUAL.txt” or ID-DECRYPT.html. The file is kept within all the folders where files are encrypted and also to the desktop. You may even see your desktop screen altered by the ransomware message.
The message contains the information about how to contact the authors and pay the ransom to buy the decryptor tool.
The message states that:
—= GANDCRAB V5.3 =—
***********************UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO NOT DELETE THIS FILE, UNTIL ALL YOUR DATA IS RECOVERED***********************
*****FAILING TO DO SO, WILL RESULT IN YOUR SYSTEM CORRUPTION, IF THERE ARE DECRYPTION ERRORS*****
All your files, documents, photos, databases and other important files are encrypted and have the extension:
The only method of recovering files is to purchase an unique private key. Only we can give you this key and only we can recover your files.
Only us can recover your files
You need follow the next instructions:
1. Send a mail to us at the next address with this note: – ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org
After finishing the encryption process, GandCrab V5.3 ransomware deletes the shadow volume copies of the files. Thus leaving no other way to get back the file rather than paying the ransom. But security experts never recommend paying the ransom, as you can be tricked by losing your money and data both.
So do not trust on the ransomware authors instead scan your computer to remove GandCrab V5.3 ransomware from the infected computer. And try out some recovery solutions.
How To Remove GandCrab V5.3 Ransomware virus Without Paying Ransom
In this guide, you will find removal instruction of GandCrab V5.3 Ransomware virus both manually and using anti-malware tool. At times, virus does not allow the installation or scanning of anti-virus program, so you need to switch to “safe mode with networking”. After that you can try recovery of your data if you have any backup or we have listed some methods which may help you to recover some of your data.
Ransomware attacks can be haunting for any user as the system contains our valuable data which we cannot afford to lose. The best tip any security expert will give you is to keep backup of your important documents to fight against such threats. Don’t forget to read the preventive guidelines at the end of the article which will help you stay safe from such attacks in future.
“Windows OS: Use Ransomware Defender To Remove GandCrab V5.3 (Recommended)”
Ransomware Defender Overview
ShieldApps’ Ransomware Defender is a specially designed security program for Ransomware threats. This anti-ransomware program detects and permanently blocks any ransomware prior to its attack on the protected system.
Ransomware Defender maintains its threat database and its related information which makes the program proactively detect any sort of threat and notifies users upon detection. This anti-ransomware program works well along with your primary anti-malware applications and does not interfere with its work.
Ransomware Defender is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. And is suitable for both home and business network. It has various prominent features like real-time ransomware detection, scan protection, history cleaner, file transfer tools and automated scans that helps in better detection of ransomware threat and blacklist them from your system permanently. Additionally, this anti-ransomware solution also provides firewall security, internet protection, mobile security, and virtual private network configuration. The solution also offers 24/7 customer support via email.
If you generally do not keep backups of your important files and documents or use your computer or device for storing financial and business details, then it is very important to keep them secure. Here Ransomware Defender is proved as a comprehensive anti-ransomware solution.
Do not compromise with your computer’s security.
Ransomware Defender solution comes with a subscription of $49.95.
Ransomware Defender Features
- Ransomware Protection: This ransomware solution effectively detects, removes and blacklists any ransomware that attempts to attack your system. And always keep monitoring the system within background for any possible attacks.
- Smart Ransomware Detection: Due to its advanced technology of threat detection, you can rest assured of system protection. It will give real-time updates and report of any suspicious activity.
- Internet Security: Protects from any unethical web activity, malicious attempts to breach your internet security, blocks any malicious websites and infected online scripts through ransomware generally enter.
- Scheduled Scan/Clean Action: It provides a user-friendly and fully automated solution for schedule scans at your preferred timings, thus even if you forgot to manually scan your computer you are still protected.
- Secure File Eraser: It’s a very important feature provided by Ransomware defender that empowers you to fix any of your files/applications that you suspect as infected.
- 24/7 PROTECTION: Ransomware Defender provides 24/7 real-time protection due to its auto and schedules scan mechanism that guards your system all the time.
Installing Ransomware Defender
- Click on the link to Download Ransomware Defender.
- Choose the location to save the installation file and click on “save”.
- After the download is completed, double-click on the downloaded file to open.
- If prompted by User Account Control: click on “Yes” button.
- This will open an installation wizard. Click on “Install“. Now simply follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation procedure.
- After Ransomware Defender successfully installs, a new tab or window will open on your browser showing confirmation of the installation.
Run Scan To Detect Ransomware threat on your computer
Follow the steps to properly scan and remove ransomware threat from your computer:
- Start the scan: Once the installation is completed, the Ransomware defender application window will open. Here you have 3 options for scan: Quick, Deep, and Custom. We suggest doing Deep scanning for the first time for better detection of ransomware threats.
- Let the scanning process be completed: Scan will take a few minutes so be patient and let the scan be fully completed.
- Review the Scan Results and remove the threats: Review the scan results that will show all the threats and malware found during the scan process, you can manually choose to remove the threats one-by-one by clicking on the threat name and select “delete” or simply click on the “Clean All” button.
Windows OS: Manually Find And Remove GandCrab V5.3 (Recommended Only For Advanced Users)
The manual steps guided below are the links separately made with caution, to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions or open it from another uninfected computer or laptop and follow step-by-step manual removal instruction. Windows OS PDF Guide.
Method 1: Remove GandCrab V5.3 Ransomware and its associated files from the computer through safe mode with command prompt.
- Reboot your computer to “Safe Mode with Command Prompt”
- End malicious process from “Task Manager“
- Deep Scan the infected computer to ensure complete removal (Recommended)
Method 2: Remove Ransomware virus using System Restore Procedure
After that, the ransomware threat should go, but if it is still there, then you need to try another method which is the “System Restore”. Click here to perform System Restore in Windows OS.
How to Restore the Encrypted Files?
Click here to know How you can restore the encrypted file.