What is F5 Player app on my Mac? Is it an Adware ? How should I remove F5 Player?
This guide contains details about F5 Player and its removal from safari, Chrome and Mozilla browsers.
What is F5 Player
The F5 Player is an application that provides online video streaming services. When users search for watching videos online for free, then they can encounter some third-party websites promoting this application. You may also accidentally install this app along with other freeware downloads. These may bundle F5 Player or similar other apps like Top Results, MatchKnowledge, TaskFresh, ApplicationWork, MixBuilder and many such.
These are actually Adware programs that are used to distribute potentially unwanted programs. Thus, you may see lots of ads in various forms while surfing.
F5 Player Adware is designed to take over the browsers installed on the Mac OS like Safari, Chrome and Mozilla. They are also used by the advertisers to track user’s online activities and send customized advertisement links.
You can accidentally hit by the pop-up that promotes the F5 Player:
A new version of Flash Player is now available.
From the above pop-up message, it is clear that it is attempting to install F5 Player Adware on your Mac OS. Once they install, it is not easy to remove them, as they silently edits various system settings.
Like said above, the F5 Player is often used to drop other Adware and third-party programs without user’s consent. The presence of this Adware forces the browser to frequently load of variety of advertisements, banners, pop-ups and in-text links. Apart from being annoying, clicking on these ads could be risky as they contain embedded link. When user clicks on such ads, they usually redirect to questionable page. As a consequence, you may end up getting more infectious stuff on the computer.
Security experts never recommend using the infected system for carrying out any sensitive activities like visiting legitimate sites, logging into bank accounts and doing online purchases.
If you are not able to remove F5 Player installer from your Mac OS then, here is the quick solution.
Remove F5 Player from Mac
This is a complete removal guide that might take several minutes to complete. As it is very important to locate and delete programs files, shortcuts, startups and browser resetting so it involves all necessary steps.
It is a detailed guide which best suits beginners as well as advanced users. In order to successfully remove all annoyances from your Mac, you need to follow step-by-step instructions.
In any case, you feel stuck at any step, then don’t try to just play with them instead skip them then go to our step which is scanning the PC with anti-malware tool to detect and remove all the threats.
Combo Cleaner is a complete security suite for Mac OS that is developed by “RCS LT” company. This program is featured with anti-virus scanner and system optimization tools like disk cleaner, duplicate files finder, application uninstaller, privacy scanner, and 24*7 customer support service.
Rather than being just a traditional anti-virus or a system optimizer, this single program takes a different approach that eases the user from using a different application to keep their MAC OS protected and optimized.
It is very important to have a reliable anti-virus solution for the computer system. Combo cleaner is one of the best options for MAC users as detects and eliminates all sorts of threats like adware, browser hijacker, Trojans, and other malware. It is a light-themed, easy-to-use interface and keeps updating its threat database hourly to instant detect and remove any sort of malware. Thus ensuring not any malicious stuff is behind within the system.
How to Install and Scan with Combo Cleaner
- Click the above button to Download the “Combo Cleaner”;
- Once the download completes, double-click on the downloaded file;
- After the window opens, drag the Combo Cleaner program icon and drop into your “Applications folder” icon.
- Now, open your “Launchpad” and click on the “Combo Cleaner” icon.
- This will start the combo cleaner installation and updates its latest virus definition. Once done, Combo cleaner will launch;
- Click on “Antivirus” tab and choose the scan options like Quick, Full, and custom. (Full is recommended for the first time)
- Let the scan be completed and it will list all the threat found. Now, click on “Remove All Threats”;
- After removing the threats, click on the “uninstaller” to find and remove any unwanted programs. Select the program from the list and its related files and then click on “Remove Selected Items“
If you still have the second thought about this anti-malware, then you may want to check out our review article about Combo Cleaner.
If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions or open it from another uninfected computer or laptop and follow step-by-step manual removal instruction. Mac OS PDF Guide
Step 1. Ending Process Running Under The “Activity Monitor”
- Type “Activity Monitor” in the Launchpad to open it;
- Scroll through the list of running apps, look for the suspicious ones that appear unknown to you or taking huge CPU resources.
- Use the [x] button to quit the process.
Step 2. Remove F5 Player Malicious Apps From Mac OS
- Open “Finder” by clicking on the Finder application on your dock.
- In the left pane of the Finder, click on “Applications“.
- Next, you need to locate the F5 Player Adware/suspicious apps and remove them. The “Applications” window will display the list of all apps installed on your Mac OS.
- Now, you need to go through the list to find out the F5 Player and other suspicious/malicious or infectious app, select it then right click and then select “Move to Trash”. (Repeat this step until you remove all such apps).
- Now you need to empty the trash as sometimes program can restore themselves from the trash. On your dock, right-click on the trash icon and then select “Empty Trash”.
NOTE: if something looks suspicious to you but you are not sure of that, search the web to find out more about that app.
Step 3. Remove F5 Player Apps From Auto-Startup
Generally, malicious programs, Adware and spyware add themselves to the boot process to launch automatically whenever the device boots. So, you need to find such apps and remove from the startups.
- Open Apple menu ? System Preferences
- Now, choose “Users & Groups” section
- Select your username from the left pane;
- A list will appear showing login items; check the list and use “—” sign to disable F5 Player or other suspicious/unwanted apps you see. Close the screen.
- Next step, from the top menu, choose Go ? Go to Folder, then type /Users/Shared/ within the search box. In the “Sharedfolder”, you need to delete the “Similar” files and folders.
- Now Restart your Mac to make the changes into effect.
Step 4. Remove F5 Player Daemons And Agents From Mac’s Startup
- From top menu ? Choose Go ? Go to Folder
- Type in “/Library/LaunchDaemons”, within this location you will see lots of files with .plist extension. Scroll through it and find the ones which appear to be suspicious and delete them.
- Do the same for other launching agents locations:
For example: an adware named Vsearch, you may get launching agent as :
Don’t forget to empty the trash and then restart the computer.
- After restart, again repeat step 1-2 and type in: /System/Library/Frameworks/ (look for the malicious file with .framework extension like /System/Library/Frameworks/VSearch.framework)
- Put the file to trash, if you find one with a malicious name.
- Similarly, do more searches within the location:
- /Library/Application Support/
- Put them to trash and again empty the trash and restart the computer.
Step 5. Uninstall F5 Player Or Unwanted/Suspicious Extensions From Browsers
Follow the steps to remove unwanted and suspicious extensions from the Safari browser:
- On the Safari browser, click the “Safari” menu then select “Preferences”.
- On the General tab of the Safari preferences, check for any unknown URL added as the default homepage, Within the “Homepage” field enter your preferred URL as your default start-page of the browser.
- Next, you need to check for malicious extensions, click on the “Extensions” tab on the same window.
- “Extensions” screen will list all the extensions installed on your safari browser, you need to browse through the list and uninstall the ones which appear to be Adware. If you find a malicious extension select it and then click on “Uninstall”. Repeat the steps to remove all unwanted extensions.
- Close the Safari browser.
To check for unknown extensions installed:
- Click on Chrome Menu(three vertical dots at top-right corner) ? Select “Settings” ? Choose “Extensions”.
- Scroll through the list of extensions installed on the Chrome browser, if any one of them appears to malicious then click on the “trash” icon next to it. This will remove the extension.
- Repeat the step until you are sure of the ones you like to keep.
To Reset The Browser:
Next, you need to reset the default settings like search engines, startup, and new tabs. It is better to use the default reset feature of the Google Chrome which will reset all the unwanted modifications done by third-party programs. Don’t worry you will not lose your saved passwords and bookmarks. However, it will delete cookies, extensions, startups, URLs, homepage and new tabs preferences.
- Click on Chrome’s main menu then choose “Settings“.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Advanced”.
- Under the Advanced page, go for “Reset and clean up” section, then click on “Reset settings to their original defaults”.
- Next, click on “Reset”, you will be prompted for a confirmation This will reset your startup page, a new tab page, search engine, and pinned tabs. It will also disable all extensions and clear temporary data like cookies. Your bookmarks, history, and saved passwords will not be cleared”
- Click on the “Reset Settings” button to confirm the procedure.
- After that, it may ask to restart your browser, click “Yes”.