What is ExtenBro?
ExtenBro is a harmful Trojan threat that is known as a DNS changer. It means the threat is designed to change the DNS address of some legitimate sites to its own server address. Thus, users when trying to visit those sites, the page may not be able to connect. This most happens to the security websites like Malwarebytes, Avast, bitdefender and so on. ExtenBro thus prevent users from visiting or downloading any security tool from these legitimate sites. Apart from this, it can also perform serious of malicious activities that generally goes unnoticed by the user.
ExtenBro is Distributed via Fake installers
ExtenBro is found to be distributed through software installers known as bundling. The threat actor behind it, drops the payloads of the virus within the freeware downloads from unverified sites. Thus, when a user downloads any such freeware tool without choosing the custom/advanced installation option, then the Trojan can get installed without seeking any further permission. Other sources include, crack of software, fake links, network vulnerabilities and so on.
ExtenBro Acts as a DNS Changer
Once installed, the ExtenBro creates new task within the task scheduler utility that enables the Trojan to launch automatically with the system startup. After that, it attacks the DNS settings by changing to some other domain, which automatically diverts users to traffic to hacker’s controlled server or some other. As a consequence, it can be used for any illegal actions.
Also, the ExtenBro Trojan will automatically relay all website requests to a hacker-controlled server. Thus, when user attempt to visit the sites for which the address is changed, they receive an error like:
This site can't be reached www.domainname.com's server IP address could not be found. Try running Windows Network Diagnostics. DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
To solve this issue please read: 5 Quick fixes to solve Browser redirect issue on Google Chrome
Also, the Trojan creates a root certificate within the “Windows certificate store” that allows the hacker to control the PC remotely and keep spying around the user’s activities. Thus, it can harvest any needed information in real-time as and when required and transfer to the hacker’s controlled server.
Thus, the presence of ExtenBro can lead to various issues like restricted browsing, data-stealing and frauds and a negotiated computer performance. Thus, it is recommended that you should scan your whole computer with powerful anti-malware tool to detect and remove ExtenBro trojan and its associated files.
How to Remove ExtenBro Trojan
The removal process of ExtenBro Trojan is tough like any other virus. It can leave you puzzled as it does too many modifications to the system internal settings. This may take enough time and patience to do it manually. That even may not ensure you complete removal.
For our readers to understand, we have put our best possible solution that can help to remove this threat. But we suggest you to only try this if you are familiar with system configurations, registries keys and its subkeys values and also boot settings.
While performing the manual solution, be enough cautious and if you get confused at any point of time, them leave it and take the help of powerful anti-malware program to detect and remove the virus. This will not only ensure safe removal of ExtenBro Trojan but also restore default system settings.
“Windows OS: Use Anti-Malware To Scan And Remove ExtenBro (Recommended)”
SpyHunter is a giant among the security programs that use advanced threat detection technology to remove any sort of Adware/PUPs, Browser hijacker, Trojans, Rootkits, Fake system optimization tools, worms, and rootkits.
It not only remove threats but provides rigorous 24/7 protection from any unsolicited programs, vulnerability or rootkits attacks.
Why we are recommending SpyHunter is because of its efficiency, lightweight that only takes up 12% of the CPU space and simpler user-interface that is designed for both beginners and advanced users. Besides that, it has features which require less-user monitoring, custom scan options, system guard and 24*7 help desk support. Keeping SpyHunter actively running on your computer adds an extra security layer that protects your computer system from being attacked.
Spyhunter certified by “West Coast Labs’ Checkmark Certification System” gives you a complete money-back guarantee, if you are not satisfied with its results. Because they are sure you will going to have it on your system. So, it’s a win-win situation for you try out SpyHunter free version and if you are fully satisfied to get registered for full protection against all malicious odds that hampers your security.
Instructions To Download And Install SpyHunter 5
- Once the file “SpyHunter-Installer.exe” is downloaded, double-click on the file to open (you can see it in your browser’s bottom-left corner);
- Click “Yes” to the “User Account Control” dialog box;
- Now, choose your preferred language and then click on “OK” for the next installation step;
- Now, click on “Continue” button to proceed with the To proceed to the installation;
- Now installation will begin, please be patience as it may take few minutes;
- Click on the “Finish” button to successfully install the program.
Note: It may ask you to enter your information- there you can add your details or go with the default information to start the program.
Steps To Perform System Scan with SpyHunter
- Once the program is installed successfully, the SpyHunter 5 Anti-malware program will launch automatically. If it does not then locate the SpyHunter icon on the desktop or click on “Start” ? “Programs” ? Select “SpyHunter”.
- Now, To start the scan click on the “Home” tab and select “Start Scan Now” button. The program will now start scanning for ExtenBro and other associated programs.
- The scan will report will all the details of the result about ExtenBro along with system errors, vulnerabilities and malware found.
- Once you have found ExtenBro as shown in the screenshot below:
- To select an object for removal, just select the checkbox at the left of the object and click on “Next“. You can select or deselect any objects displayed in the “Malware,” “PUPs” or “Privacy” tabs. We have included a convenient “Select All” feature that will allow you to select or deselect all objects displayed in a specific tab. To utilize this feature, simply select the checkbox at the left in the specific tab (9).
- Once you have selected which objects you would like to remove, click the “Next” button.
If you want to know more about it, you are welcomed to check out the full review of SpyHunter 5.
To Remove ExtenBro Trojan, follow these steps:
The manual steps below contains the instructions separately to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions. Or you can open it from another uninfected computer or laptop. And follow step-by-step manual removal instruction: Windows OS PDF Guide.
Step 1:Remove ExtenBro Trojan From WindowsOS
Step 2: Remove Trojan Virus Using System Restore Procedure. (Advanced option)
Step 3: Remove ExtenBro Trojan using HitmanPro.Alert
HitmanPro.Alert is an advanced anti-malware program that takes on proactive approach towards threat behavior and its activities. Its cloud-based scanning technique is deeply scans the system to the possible locations where threats mostly resides. This is a real-time malware program that delivers protection from latest threat, crypto-malware, ransomware, exploits, spyware, risks related to online transactions.
HitmanPro.Alert is best-in-class that provides various advanced features like:
- Safe Browsing;
- Exploit Mitigation;
- Risk reduction:
- Key-loggers Protection and many such.
Running HitmanPro.Alert on your computer will provide your real-time status, checks the browser integrity and alerts or any suspicious activity. So that you can have a safe browsing and online transactions. Read the full review of HitmanPro.Alert here.
Steps To Install And Run HitmanPro.Alert
- Click on the provided link to download HitmanPro.Alert anti-malware;
- Now, open the download folder or where your program is downloaded to locate “hmpalert3”;
- Click on it, to begin the installation;
- It will ask your User Account control, if prompted click on “yes”;
- The download should begin shortly. HitmanPro.Alert window will appear, where you need to choose the options:
Choose Protection level as Maximum
And tick the other boxes and finally click on “Install”.
HitmanPro.Alert only takes 5MB of your memory and is very quick to install.
- After the installation is complete, the scan will start. First scan may take up some minutes, as it will scan the whole computer.
- The scan results are displayed. Carefully look down the list. You can here, the scan has found 1 Riskware and thousands of traces which can be risky.
- You can select the threat to delete, quranantize, ignore or, mark as safe. If you want to remove all the threats, then simply click on the “Next” button below.
- HitmanPro.Alert first creates a restore point and then starts the removal process. This helps to recover from any damage.
So, now you are done, with the removal process with HitmanPro.Alert.
Step 4: System Restore Procedure
- After Removal of ExtenBro Trojan, it is important to restore the damages done by it. As it attacks windows registry to add its keys and values to execute as the system starts. All these keys may help the program to regenerate its codes. To repair the registry and restore to its previous state, we recommend the “Reimage Tool“, that cleans all the traces of threat and fix all windows errors.
Best Practices To avoid Such Infections
- Keep a secure firewall for the system. This will help block any unwanted internet connections to your device.
- Do not open spam mail attachments from unknown sender. This is the common way through which malicious programs intrude inside. Thus, we should be cautious while getting mails from non-trusted sources.
- Keep the software program updates, so that it does not have any security patches.
- Be very cautious while downloading any freeware from third-party websites. Always download software programs from official websites. Thus avoiding any accidental download of Adware/PUPs.
- Do not use public wi-fi for online transactions, as they are not fully secure and can infect the device.
- Use a powerful anti-virus program that will keep track of the security.
By following the above tips, you can avoid viruses or unwanted programs entering on your computer. Hope this article is helpful to you.