If you suspect your online activity is getting traced, or you have a victim of online fraud or financial loses. Then your computer might be infected with Emotet- banking Trojan virus. You must not ignore this.
Read the article to know more about it.
What is Emotet?
Emotet is a severe harmful Banking Trojan that is distributed through phishing emails appearing from a legitimate source. This Trojan was first spotted in 2014 that targeted both public and private sectors.
It uses spam bots to spread its payloads in a massive amount and once successfully intruded on the system. Its authors used it to steal banking information stored on the system.
Emotet-banking Trojan once again came active in 2018, spreading via exploits and break the login credentials of the system using brute-force attacks. And managed to attack hospitals, government, big organization and institutes.
This guide will help you to know all about this malware and how to remove it.
How you can get this infection?
Emotet may pretend itself to be legitimate but is an entirely malicious thing. It aims to steal the banking information of individuals as well as computers connected to the same network.
It mainly propagates through spam email that embeds payloads of the malware in the form of infected links, scripts, source-code and macro-enabled documents. The mails are subjected as Invoice, Job description, Shipping, Payment and so on.
As the user open the phishing mail and click on the malicious link, it redirects to the malware page. This triggers the download of the infected malware. It can also happen when user opens the macro-enabled document. The script within it prompts for the PowerShell and cmd.exe to connect to the malicious website and download the Emotet.
Once installed successfully, it exploits the system vulnerabilities and try to brute-force the credentials of the system to access it. It also takes the advantage of weak passwords for the network to break in.
Emotet malware is designed having the polymorphic nature, as it deletes or changes its original file (Zone identifier)to appear itself as legitimate. It even imitate to be a Windows processes file like wingroup.exe, winlog.exe or servicelog.exe. This not only helps to escape detection and get valid-signature. Thus, it is nearly impossible trace its file and remove it.
After that, to initiate its tasks, Emotet-banking trojan modifies Windows registry, installs its files to several locations and launch auto-start for its program. Thus, it launches soon after the infected computer turns on.
What damages it can do to the targeted device?
Once the system is infected with Emotet virus, it add valid certificates and provides itself with all necessary admin privileges. Soon after doing so, the malware starts running within the system background and collect various information. All the collected information is send to its authors through command & control server. Along with stealing information, it is also used to drop other harmful threats like Ransomware, cryptojacking malware and so on.
Two of the main purposes
- The primary action of Emotet is to spy around user’s online activity and collect various crucial data like login credentials, browsing keywords, online activity, and most importantly banking information. The collected data is misused by the hackers to carry out monetary frauds leading to serious loses. It can even use the credit card details for online purchases.
- Second one is malware distribution. It seriously exploits the system vulnerabilities, disables the security program, shut downs firewall that opens the backdoor for other infection. As a consequence, your computer and resources can be used to carry out other malicious activities. Further its presence can lead to series of infections that will make the machine completely useless.
As said above, Emotet is programmed cleverly to hide its identity so it is difficult to trace its files and remove it manually. But if you have noticed any signs of Emotet, then you should quickly scan your computer with effective anti-malware program.
How to Remove Emotet Trojan
The removal process of Emotet Trojan is tough like any other virus. It can leave you puzzled as it does too many modifications to the system internal settings. This may take enough time and patience to do it manually. That even may not ensure you complete removal.
For our readers to understand, we have put our best possible solution that can help to remove this threat. But we suggest you to only try this if you are familiar with system configurations, registries keys and its subkeys values and also boot settings.
While performing the manual solution, be enough cautious and if you get confused at any point of time, them leave it and take the help of powerful anti-malware program to detect and remove the virus. This will not only ensure safe removal of Emotet Trojan but also restore default system settings.
To Remove Emotet Trojan, follow these steps:
The manual steps below contains the instructions separately to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions. Or you can open it from another uninfected computer or laptop. And follow step-by-step manual removal instruction: Windows OS PDF Guide.
Step 1:Remove Emotet Trojan From WindowsOS
Step 2: Remove Trojan Virus Using System Restore Procedure. (Advanced option)
Step 3: Remove Emotet Trojan using HitmanPro.Alert
HitmanPro.Alert is an advanced anti-malware program that takes on proactive approach towards threat behavior and its activities. Its cloud-based scanning technique is deeply scans the system to the possible locations where threats mostly resides. This is a real-time malware program that delivers protection from latest threat, crypto-malware, ransomware, exploits, spyware, risks related to online transactions.
HitmanPro.Alert is best-in-class that provides various advanced features like:
- Safe Browsing;
- Exploit Mitigation;
- Risk reduction:
- Key-loggers Protection and many such.
Running HitmanPro.Alert on your computer will provide your real-time status, checks the browser integrity and alerts or any suspicious activity. So that you can have a safe browsing and online transactions. Read the full review of HitmanPro.Alert here.
Steps To Install And Run HitmanPro.Alert
- Click on the provided link to download HitmanPro.Alert anti-malware;
- Now, open the download folder or where your program is downloaded to locate “hmpalert3”;
- Click on it, to begin the installation;
- It will ask your User Account control, if prompted click on “yes”;
- The download should begin shortly. HitmanPro.Alert window will appear, where you need to choose the options:
Choose Protection level as Maximum
And tick the other boxes and finally click on “Install”.
HitmanPro.Alert only takes 5MB of your memory and is very quick to install.
- After the installation is complete, the scan will start. First scan may take up some minutes, as it will scan the whole computer.
- The scan results are displayed. Carefully look down the list. You can here, the scan has found 1 Riskware and thousands of traces which can be risky.
- You can select the threat to delete, quranantize, ignore or, mark as safe. If you want to remove all the threats, then simply click on the “Next” button below.
- HitmanPro.Alert first creates a restore point and then starts the removal process. This helps to recover from any damage.
So, now you are done, with the removal process with HitmanPro.Alert.
Step 4: System Restore Procedure
- After Removal of Emotet Trojan, it is important to restore the damages done by it. As it attacks windows registry to add its keys and values to execute as the system starts. All these keys may help the program to regenerate its codes. To repair the registry and restore to its previous state, we recommend the “Reimage Tool“, that cleans all the traces of threat and fix all windows errors.
Best Practices To avoid Such Infections
- Keep a secure firewall for the system. This will help block any unwanted internet connections to your device.
- Do not open spam mail attachments from unknown sender. This is the common way through which malicious programs intrude inside. Thus, we should be cautious while getting mails from non-trusted sources.
- Keep the software program updates, so that it does not have any security patches.
- Be very cautious while downloading any freeware from third-party websites. Always download software programs from official websites. Thus avoiding any accidental download of Adware/PUPs.
- Do not use public wi-fi for online transactions, as they are not fully secure and can infect the device.
- Use a powerful anti-virus program that will keep track of the security.
By following the above tips, you can avoid viruses or unwanted programs entering on your computer. Hope this article is helpful to you.