DarkHydrus is an immense destructive Trojan program designed by cyber criminals to perform various kinds of cyber crimes and attacks. The recent detection of a Trojan threat named RogueRobin Trojan Horse is based on DarkHydrus Advanced persistent threat (APT) and its group. This article is based on collective analysis on this persistent threat and its removal solution.
DarkHydrus virus infiltration Sources:
The DarkHydrus Trojan got its name after its criminal-minded group. The attacks are mainly concentrated to steal crucial data from the target systems. It mostly spreads through VBA macros through phishing email campaigns. The payloads of the threat is embedded within the document which can be docs, excel, pdf or so. When the receiver opens the infected mail attachments, the macros starts running the script and downloads the infection to the system. This all happens without the permission of users.
DarkHydrus virus destructive actions:
Once the DarkHydrus Trojan is installed, it modifies key settings of the system to enable the automatically launch of it program when the computer starts. Some of the prominent changes that can be done by DarkHydrus Trojan are:
- Change in Windows Registry :— The persistent threat works like any other Trojan that changes the registry keys and its values to carry-out its tasks without any interruption. Well the changes can be harmful of the users as it can weaken the security of the system and let other variants of threats to easily target the system. Of Course the resources are negotiated.
- Modification in Booting Options :— Change in boot settings means the Trojan want to program itself as auto-launch as the system turn on. Also it can change the recovery options like system restore that makes the data recovery or manual removal of the threat nearly impossible.
- System Files and Directories :— This Trojan is capable to drop various files on different locations of the system.
Apart from these, DarkHydrus Trojan may also modify network settings to remotely connect its authors to send and receive information. This is done through setting up DNS server that can communicate between the hacker and the Trojan active on the system. As this is a complex Trojan program, so it uses custom codes to receive queries and respond accordingly.
According to the analysis report, here is the list of codes that have a distinct function.
- ^$fileUpload — Set up the path for the upload of new file.
- ^$fileDownload — Commands to uploaded the given file to the hacker’s controlled server.
- ^$importModule — Runs a PowerShell instance and imports it to the current “modules” list
- ^$ClearModules — Clears the previous running “modules” list
- ^$x_mode — Switch on an alternate mode “x_mode” which switches to an alternate command channel
- ^testmode — Run a test function to check for a secure connection to the hacker’s server.
- ^showconfig — Generates the current configuration of the infection engine
- ^changeConfig — Triggers a change in the configuration by sending the input parameters and also saves them on local instance
- ^slp — setup sleep and jitter values
- ^kill — This command instruct the thread containing the Trojan to be killed
- ^exit — Exits the Trojan instance
DarkHydrus Trojan should not be mistaken as any generic trojan that only affects the system performance or so. Infact, this severe Trojan is being used worldwide to perform high-level attacks targeting big organizations, government agencies and corporations. It uses advanced infrastructure that can easily bypass the security of the attacked computer system and take the control of the system.
The very recent attack by DarkHydrus Trojan is using the Google Drive as their Command & Control server to spread its variant RogueRobin Trojan horse. This variant shares the similar functionality and its being used to steal the financial data of users.
The hackers are uploading an infected file to the drive from their account and waiting for any new changes to the document. As any new changes occur to the document, it assigns a job with a command. The hacker then activates the commands to run it on the infected system. They are using the authentication service according the compliance of Google Drive to avoid any detection. The access to the document is retrieved through providing special access tokens.
DarkHydrus Trojan is capable enough to carry out various type of damages by controlling it. But the most importantly, it is used to steal sensitive data both personal and system related information.
The search engine associated with threat runs the scripts that shows the personal-identifiable information of users. The includes: name, email, location, address, phone number, any saved account login credentials. The Trojan searches for data to the entire computer system including memory, hard disk and drives, flash drives and shared network drives. The entire collected data gets a unique machine ID. And the information gathered is used for various frauds and crimes.
Not only that, the Trojan can also dig out system related information, its hardware components and system configuration. The Trojan reports these details to the hacker which analysis these info to perform more attacks and design its new variants.
How to Remove DarkHydrus virus from infected device?
DarkHydrus Trojan is vigorously spreading, so you should stay cautious to such attacks. Beware of phishing emails and never enable to run VBA macros till you verify the attachment. Also you must avoid opening any email attachment from suspicious address as this may contain any infected payloads that install any threat.
If you any signs of DarkHydrus Trojan infection or dealing with RogueRobin Trojan horse, then don’t attempt manual solution. As this may worse the condition of your infected computer system. Quickly scan your computer to detect and remove this threat.
Note! If your Mac OS is infected with DarkHydrus then please visit this link for Mac OS Virus Removal Guide.
“Windows OS: Use Anti-Malware To Scan And Remove DarkHydrus (Recommended)”
SpyHunter is a giant among the security programs that use advanced threat detection technology to remove any sort of Adware/PUPs, Browser hijacker, Trojans, Rootkits, Fake system optimization tools, worms, and rootkits.
It not only remove threats but provides rigorous 24/7 protection from any unsolicited programs, vulnerability or rootkits attacks.
Why we are recommending SpyHunter is because of its efficiency, lightweight that only takes up 12% of the CPU space and simpler user-interface that is designed for both beginners and advanced users. Besides that, it has features which require less-user monitoring, custom scan options, system guard and 24*7 help desk support. Keeping SpyHunter actively running on your computer adds an extra security layer that protects your computer system from being attacked.
Spyhunter certified by “West Coast Labs’ Checkmark Certification System” gives you a complete money-back guarantee, if you are not satisfied with its results. Because they are sure you will going to have it on your system. So, it’s a win-win situation for you try out SpyHunter free version and if you are fully satisfied to get registered for full protection against all malicious odds that hampers your security.
Instructions To Download And Install SpyHunter 5
- Once the file “SpyHunter-Installer.exe” is downloaded, double-click on the file to open (you can see it in your browser’s bottom-left corner);
- Click “Yes” to the “User Account Control” dialog box;
- Now, choose your preferred language and then click on “OK” for the next installation step;
- Now, click on “Continue” button to proceed with the To proceed to the installation;
- Now installation will begin, please be patience as it may take few minutes;
- Click on the “Finish” button to successfully install the program.
Note: It may ask you to enter your information- there you can add your details or go with the default information to start the program.
Steps To Perform System Scan with SpyHunter
- Once the program is installed successfully, the SpyHunter 5 Anti-malware program will launch automatically. If it does not then locate the SpyHunter icon on the desktop or click on “Start” ? “Programs” ? Select “SpyHunter”.
- Now, To start the scan click on the “Home” tab and select “Start Scan Now” button. The program will now start scanning for threats, malware, unwanted programs, rootkits, and system vulnerabilities.
- The scan will report will all the details of the result along with system errors, vulnerabilities and malware found.
- SpyHunter 5 groups your scan results into categories determined by the type of objects detected: “Malware“, “PUPs” (Potentially Unwanted Programs), “Privacy“, “Vulnerabilities“, and “Whitelisted objects“, as shown in the screenshot below:
- To select an object for removal, just select the checkbox at the left of the object. You can select or deselect any objects displayed in the “Malware,” “PUPs” or “Privacy” tabs. We have included a convenient “Select All” feature that will allow you to select or deselect all objects displayed in a specific tab. To utilize this feature, simply select the checkbox at the left in the specific tab (9)
- Once you have selected which objects you would like to remove, click the “Next” button.
Note: Any objects that you choose to remove will be securely stored in SpyHunter’s “Quarantine.” If at any time, you would like to restore a previously removed object(s), you can do so through SpyHunter’s “Restore” feature. To locate the object, go to the “Malware/PC Scan” tab and then click the “Quarantine” tab. From the “Quarantine” tab, you may restore an object by selecting the checkbox at the left of the object and clicking the “Restore” button.
If you want to know more about it, you are welcomed to check out the full review of SpyHunter 5.
“Windows OS: Manually Find And Remove DarkHydrus ( Only Recommended For Advanced Users)”
The manual steps guided below are the links separately made with caution, to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions or open it from another uninfected computer or laptop and follow step-by-step manual removal instruction. Windows OS PDF Guide.
- Step 1: Manually Killing the malicious processes, disabling suspicious programs and then removing the remaining virus and its traces by scanning.
- Step 2: Remove Trojan Virus Using System Restore Procedure.
- Step 3: Download effective antivirus program and scan your computer to ensure successful removal of Trojan threat.