What is Cliptomaner?
Cliptomaner is detected as a cryptocurrency miner program. It is used by cyber offenders to stealthily consume all the available resources of the system to mine for cryptocurrency. The miner is aimed to use XMRig to mine for Monero coins. The program is written using the AutoIT scripting language.
Besides mining, it also operates as a clipper malware, as Cliptomaner hijacks the clipboard data to copy and replace the existing crypto-currecy wallet address of the users or entered by them, to the one owned by the cyber-criminals. As a result, the cryptocurrency users unknowingly send their funds to the address of the cyber-criminals.
While, this has now become a very successful tactics of the hackers to steal funds from cypto-currency wallets. The reason, being the crypto-currency wallet address is usually 34 case sensitive characters, which is a tedious job to remember. Thus, users generally copy and paste them to their wallet. So, the hackers or con artist are taking a good advantage of this.
Currently, the Cliptomaner is being distributed via fake installers of the Realtek audio equipment. Thus, users should avoid installing updates from third-party sources.
Also, experts advise the users to do a check of the address while pasting them to avoid such frauds. Also, if this stands true, then you should quickly check for Cliptomaner program present on your system and remove it quickly.
|Description||The malware intrudes on the system via dubious installers and consumes CPU and GPU resources to mine for crypto-currency.|
|Occurrence||The malware is usually delivered via fake downloads which even imitates to be a legitimate cryptocurrency software. Others are Spam email attachments, pirated software downloads, and so on.|
|Symptoms||Drained CPU performance, unknown processes running, high electricity usage, system slowdown, monetary loss.|
Run The Scan tool Now– To eliminate Cliptomaner virus from your computer.
The Distribution campaign
However, the Cliptomaner may enter to the system from a variety of ways. Even some users may download/install the program by themselves as a legitimate crypto-currency mining tool. However, users can get it from various illegitimate sources, software cracking tools, fake downloads or bundle freeware installation.
However, like any other virus, it also distributed via spam email campaigns that contains and order details. The email contains an attachment containing more information about the order. If the user opens or download the malicious file, then it shows a fake document, that appears to be harmless. However, this is just to distract the users, while the Cliptomaner gets installed on the system.
How Does Cliptomaner Miner Affects the System?
Being a cryptocurrency miner, the Cliptomaner uses the CPU and GPU resources of the system for the complex computing. As, the cryptocurrency miner needs huge system resources, thus the con artists deploy miner programs to mine for currency under the expenses of other users.
Thus, the presence of Cliptomaner miner may severely damage the software and hardware resources of the system. As such, the users may expect sudden system crash, overheating, as well as huge electricity bill.
Besides that, it also acts as clipper miner that waits for users to copy a receiving cryptocurrency wallet address. After which, it hijacks the system’s clipboard to replace the address entered by the user with its own wallet address.
Thus, when the target users attempts to make any fund transfer, they automatically use the replaced address. Consequently, any transaction will send to the hacker’s wallet and the users may expect a monetary loss.
Users, generally, may not suspect the presence of the Cliptomaner malware, as it does not consume much of the system resources. As this is the very first of the presence of a crypto-currency miner. Secondly, it hides its original process within the name of a legitimate system process.
Thus, to detect or remove Cliptomaner malware, you should quickly scan your system with a reputable anti-malware.
How to Remove Cliptomaner
The removal process of Cliptomaner is tough like any other virus. It can leave you puzzled as it does too many modifications to the system internal settings. This may take enough time and patience to do it manually. That even may not ensure you complete removal.
Thus, it is advised to scan the infected computer with reputable anti-malware program to detect and remove Cliptomaner Virus.
“Windows OS: Use Anti-Malware To Scan And Remove Cliptomaner (Recommended)”
SpyHunter is a giant among the security programs that use advanced threat detection technology to remove any sort of Adware/PUPs, Browser hijacker, Trojans, Rootkits, Fake system optimization tools, worms, and rootkits. It not only remove threats but provides rigorous 24/7 protection from any unsolicited programs, vulnerability or rootkits attacks.
Steps To Perform System Scan with SpyHunter
- Once the program is installed successfully, the SpyHunter 5 Anti-malware program will launch automatically. If it does not then locate the SpyHunter icon on the desktop or click on “Start” ? “Programs” ? Select “SpyHunter”.
- Now, To start the scan click on the “Home” tab and select “Start Scan Now” button. The program will now start scanning for Cliptomaner and other associated programs.
- The scan will report will all the details of the result about Cliptomaner along with system errors, vulnerabilities and malware found.
- Once you have found Cliptomaner as shown in the screenshot below:
- To select an object for removal, just select the checkbox at the left of the object and click on “Next“. You can select or deselect any objects displayed in the “Malware,” “PUPs” or “Privacy” tabs. We have included a convenient “Select All” feature that will allow you to select or deselect all objects displayed in a specific tab. To utilize this feature, simply select the checkbox at the left in the specific tab (9).
- Once you have selected which objects you would like to remove, click the “Next” button.
If you want to know more about it, you are welcomed to check out the full review of SpyHunter 5.
How To Remove Cliptomaner Manually From Windows OS
To Remove Cliptomaner , follow these steps:
For our readers to understand, we have put our best possible solution that can help to remove this threat. But we suggest you to only try this if you are familiar with system configurations, registries keys and its subkeys values and also boot settings.
While performing the manual solution, be enough cautious and if you get confused at any point of time, them leave it and take the help of powerful anti-malware program to detect and remove the virus. This will not only ensure safe removal of Cliptomaner but also restore default system settings.
Method 2: Remove Cliptomaner Virus Using System Restore Procedure. (Advanced option)
Method 1: Remove Cliptomaner Manually From Windows OS (Safe Mode)
For Windows XP and 7:
- Click on the “Start menu“, then on click the arrow next to “Shut Down.” Select Restart. (Just as you normally Restart your PC).
- Once the computer screen is powered on, immediately start tapping “F8” key till you see “Advanced Boot Options” screen. if you don’t enter to the boot screen, then restart the process again and press F8 while the PC is restarting.
- Here, you need to choose “Safe Mode with Networking“ option and press “enter” key to troubleshooting windows. As later on, you need to access the internet.
- And you will now see the login screen. Now log in with your Administrator Account.
NOTE: To get back to your normal windows configuration, you need to repeat steps 1-3 and select Start Windows Normally.
- For Windows 10: Click Start –> Power and then hold the Shift key on your keyboard and click Restart.
- For Windows 8/8.1: Press the “Windows key + C“, and then click “Settings“. Click “Power“, hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and then click “Restart“.
- From here steps are same for Windows 10 and 8.
- Click “Troubleshoot”.
- Click Advanced options.
- Click Startup Settings.
- Click Restart.
- After your computer restarts, select Safe Mode with Networking.
- Enter your Administrative username and password to start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
NOTE: To get back to normal Windows configuration you need to Click Start –> Power and then click Restart.
Kill Cliptomaner Process From Task Manager
- Press “Window key+ R” and type “taskmgr”.
- Now once the task manager window opens, perform these steps:
- Under the process tab, check for the suspicious program like KMSpico.exe or AutoKMS.exe still running;
- If you find it, right click on the name and select “Open file location”;
- Then click on “End Task”;
- Now go to the file location window opened and select the program and delete that file.
Disable Cliptomaner suspicious program from startup.
It is very important to remove Cliptomaner program, from auto-launch when the system boots. As if not removed, then it will not allow you to remove the malicious programs completely from the infected system. And there is very much chances that it will again repair its files and be active on your system.
Disabling this will allow you to completely get rid of any unwanted program.
To Disable Auto-Startup For Cliptomaner Program:
For Windows Xp and older version:
- Press “Windows key+R” that will open the run box. Within the search field type “msconfig” and hit enter that will launch “System Configuration” window.
- Next, click on the “Startup” tab to see the list of programs which are set to auto-launch with the computer boot.
- Now browse the list to locate the programs related to Cliptomaner . To disable it, un-check the boxes next to the program names, you want to remove from start up. And choose “Disable All” click “Apply” and “OK.”
For Windows 8, 10 and newer versions:
This feature is available within the Task manager window. So open it and switch to “Start Up Tab.”
- Click on the Cliptomaner or other harmful program, then click “Disable” button appearing at the bottom of the window.
Remove Cliptomaner And Other Harmful Program From Computer
- In the taskbar, click on the “Search” icon. And Type “Apps And Features;”
- When the “Apps And Features” window opens, you can see the list of applications installed;
- Go through it carefully and search for apps that looks suspicious to you. If you don’t remember to install yourself;
- If you find such, click on it to expand; And click on “Uninstall”.
- Repeat for all such apps.
If the program does not allow you to remove it, or says the program is running in the background. Then you need to first finish the task from the task manager.
Remove Cliptomaner using HitmanPro.Alert
HitmanPro.Alert is an advanced anti-malware program that takes on proactive approach towards threat behavior and its activities. Its cloud-based scanning technique is deeply scans the system to the possible locations where threats mostly resides.
Running HitmanPro.Alert on your computer will provide your real-time status, checks the browser integrity and alerts or any suspicious activity. So that you can have a safe browsing and online transactions. Read the full review of HitmanPro.Alert here.
Steps To Install And Run HitmanPro.Alert
- Click on the provided link to download HitmanPro.Alert anti-malware;
- Now, open the download folder to locate “hmpalert3”;
- Click on it, to begin the installation;
- It will ask your User Account control, if prompted click on “yes”; The download should begin shortly. HitmanPro.Alert window will appear, where you need to choose the options:
- Choose Protection level as Maximum
- And tick the other boxes and finally click on “Install”.
- HitmanPro.Alert only takes 5MB of your memory and is very quick to install.
- After the installation is complete, the scan will start. First scan may take up some minutes, as it will scan the whole computer.
- The scan results are here. Carefully look down the list. You can here, the scan has found 1 Riskware and thousands of traces which can be risky.
- You can select the threat to delete, quarantine, ignore or, mark as safe. If you want to remove all the threats, then simply click on the “Next” button below.
- HitmanPro.Alert first creates a restore point and then starts the removal process. This helps to recover from any damage.
So, now you are done, with the removal process with HitmanPro.Alert.
Method 2: Remove Cliptomaner Virus Using System Restore Procedure. (Advanced option)
Another method is a manual way to get rid of Cliptomaner which is through System Restore. If you don’t know much about this process, then read here. Click here to perform System Restore in Windows OS.
Safe Mode with Command Prompt (Follow the above steps and choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt option from boot setting.)
To Reboot your computer to “Safe Mode with Command Prompt”
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart.
- Now select Troubleshoot –> Advanced options –> Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select “Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt” in Startup Settings window.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Click Start –> Restart –> OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing “F8″ multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
To Restore your system to default settings as it was prior to the attack of Cliptomaner Virus
- Once the Command Prompt window appears, type “cd restore” and press Enter.
- Now again type “rstrui.exe” and hit Enter button;
- It will show up a new window, now click on “Next”.
- Then, select your restore point that should be prior to the attack of Cliptomaner threat or any other point you want. Click on “Next”.
- Now click on “Yes” to confirm the system restore.
Once the system restore to your selected date is done, then you need to restart your computer normally.
You should Download effective anti-virus program and scan your computer to ensure successful removal of any threat.
Best Practices To avoid Such Infections
- Keep a secure firewall for the system. This will help block any unwanted internet connections to your device.
- Do not open spam mail attachments from unknown sender. This is the common way through which malicious programs intrude inside. Thus, we should be cautious while getting mails from non-trusted sources.
- Keep the software program updates, so that it does not have any security patches.
- Be very cautious while downloading any freeware from third-party websites. Always download software programs from official websites. Thus avoiding any accidental download of Adware/PUPs.
- Do not use public wi-fi for online transactions, as they are not fully secure and can infect the device.
- Use a powerful anti-virus program that will keep track of the security.
By following the above tips, you can avoid viruses or unwanted programs entering on your computer. Hope this article is helpful to you.