What is Chromium Browser?
Chromium is a legitimate open-source browser project started by Google. But is misused by cyber offenders to deploy malicious software programs particularly browser hijackers onto the Windows OS. The Google chrome browser is based on the source code of the chromium open-source project. While the Chrome browser is managed by Google itself, the Chromium open-source project is managed by Chromium project. It is absolutely a genuine platform that forms the basics of various web browser projects.
But, this is very unfortunate that many bad developers are using the source-code of Chromium project by built their customized version of Chromium browser. Such are considered as a browser hijacker that modifies the default homepage, new tab and search engine of the attacked browser.
Thus, if you are noticing the Chromium browser installed on your computer which you didn’t choose to install. Then it may be a browser hijacker that should be removed as soon as possible.
More details about Chromium hijacker
Chromium browser or malware is distributed through freeware downloads as bundles and installs on the target system without user’s permission.
The homepage when Chromium is installed appears as:
Once the malicious Chromium browser is installed on your computer, you can notice the following symptoms:
- Your default browser is altered to Chromium browser without any notification.
- The existing homepage, new tab and search engine is substituted with some unknown one.
- Each time, you open the infected browser, you may be redirected to malicious URLs.
- Browser turns slow, pages are unresponsive and the PC itself acts sluggish.
- Unknown bookmarks, toolbars and extensions are added automatically to the browser.
Chromium browser is a too much annoying program as it interfere with the surfing and completely change the look of your default browser. As it is malicious version it will not go away by simply uninstalling from the “Programs and Features”.
What to do when your browser is infected with Chromium
Like any other browser hijacker, Chromium browser malware is also too tough to be removed by simply switching back to the default browser settings. As it installs program files, shortcuts, start ups and alter registry entries, which makes complete removal nearly impossible.
But if you have sound knowledge about the system components and deep files, then you can attempt removing Chromium manually. Our step-by-step manual removal instructions will help you to successfully remove the browser hijacker program from your browser.
If you are not a computer savvy then, the best way to deal with browser hijacker is to deep scan the computer and remove all the components of the Chromium.
Note! If your Mac OS is infected with Chromium then please visit this link for Mac OS Virus Removal Guide.
“Windows OS: Use Anti-Malware To Scan And Remove Chromium (Recommended)”
SpyHunter is a giant among the security programs that use advanced threat detection technology to remove any sort of Adware/PUPs, Browser hijacker, Trojans, Rootkits, Fake system optimization tools, worms, and rootkits.
It not only remove threats but provides rigorous 24/7 protection from any unsolicited programs, vulnerability or rootkits attacks.
Why we are recommending SpyHunter is because of its efficiency, lightweight that only takes up 12% of the CPU space and simpler user-interface that is designed for both beginners and advanced users. Besides that, it has features which require less-user monitoring, custom scan options, system guard and 24*7 help desk support. Keeping SpyHunter actively running on your computer adds an extra security layer that protects your computer system from being attacked.
Spyhunter certified by “West Coast Labs’ Checkmark Certification System” gives you a complete money-back guarantee, if you are not satisfied with its results. Because they are sure you will going to have it on your system. So, it’s a win-win situation for you try out SpyHunter free version and if you are fully satisfied to get registered for full protection against all malicious odds that hampers your security.
Instructions To Download And Install SpyHunter 5
- Once the file “SpyHunter-Installer.exe” is downloaded, double-click on the file to open (you can see it in your browser’s bottom-left corner);
- Click “Yes” to the “User Account Control” dialog box;
- Now, choose your preferred language and then click on “OK” for the next installation step;
- Now, click on “Continue” button to proceed with the To proceed to the installation;
- Now installation will begin, please be patience as it may take few minutes;
- Click on the “Finish” button to successfully install the program.
Note: It may ask you to enter your information- there you can add your details or go with the default information to start the program.
Steps To Perform System Scan with SpyHunter
- Once the program is installed successfully, the SpyHunter 5 Anti-malware program will launch automatically. If it does not then locate the SpyHunter icon on the desktop or click on “Start” ? “Programs” ? Select “SpyHunter”.
- Now, To start the scan click on the “Home” tab and select “Start Scan Now” button. The program will now start scanning for threats, malware, unwanted programs, rootkits, and system vulnerabilities.
- The scan will report will all the details of the result along with system errors, vulnerabilities and malware found.
- SpyHunter 5 groups your scan results into categories determined by the type of objects detected: “Malware“, “PUPs” (Potentially Unwanted Programs), “Privacy“, “Vulnerabilities“, and “Whitelisted objects“, as shown in the screenshot below:
- To select an object for removal, just select the checkbox at the left of the object. You can select or deselect any objects displayed in the “Malware,” “PUPs” or “Privacy” tabs. We have included a convenient “Select All” feature that will allow you to select or deselect all objects displayed in a specific tab. To utilize this feature, simply select the checkbox at the left in the specific tab (9)
- Once you have selected which objects you would like to remove, click the “Next” button.
Note: Any objects that you choose to remove will be securely stored in SpyHunter’s “Quarantine.” If at any time, you would like to restore a previously removed object(s), you can do so through SpyHunter’s “Restore” feature. To locate the object, go to the “Malware/PC Scan” tab and then click the “Quarantine” tab. From the “Quarantine” tab, you may restore an object by selecting the checkbox at the left of the object and clicking the “Restore” button.
If you want to know more about it, you are welcomed to check out the full review of SpyHunter 5.
“Windows OS: Manually Find And Remove Chromium ( Only Recommended For Advanced Users)”
The manual steps guided below are the links separately made with caution, to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we also recommend you to print/download these instructions or open it from another uninfected computer or laptop and follow step-by-step manual removal instruction. Windows OS PDF Guide.
- Step 1: Boot your Computer to “Safe Mode With Networking“
- Step 2: Remove Suspicious Programs from Browsers
- Step 3: Removing Adware from Operating System
- Step 4: Cleaning temporary files and removing unwanted programs left within task manager
- Step 5: Running Full System Scan(Recommended)
You should not skip the full system scan step. As even if you don’t perform the manual steps for removing the Adware, running system scan will automatically detect and remove the threat. Security experts always recommend doing deep system scanning if you are not a technically sound person. All the steps mentioned above needs a good knowledge of system utilities, so if anything goes wrong it will hamper your device.