What is Cephalo and how to restore .ceph files? All you want to know about Cephalo ransomware, its removal and free decryption tool.
Cephalo is a crypto-malware virus that is designed to encrypt files on the target PC in order to earn profit illegally. This ransomware chooses the common way of intrusion that is spam mail attachments which embeds malicious payloads hidden within. Once the program successfully loads on the target machine, it starts to scan the whole system, local drives, folders, directories to search for important files of various extensions. And uses a combination of the AES-256 and RSA-2048 ciphers to encrypt documents, images, videos, PDFs and many more. After encryption, it appends ‘.ceph‘ extension after the original file name.
For example: a file named as “myresume.docx” will be “myresume.docx.ceph”. This means your file is encrypted by Cephalo Ransomware.
After that, the ransomware drops a ransom note containing the message of encryption and instructions for file recovery. As the file is encrypted with unique key, it may not be possible to decrypt it, so the extortionist asks the victim to buy the decryptor tool from them by paying the fee in Bitcoins.
Cephalo Ransomware virus Distribution methods:
The threat may take up several approach as a medium of distribution like spam emails, fake software bundles, corrupt links on website, patches of software programs. But the most effective method is spam email campaigns. This is the way through which most of the ransomware threat intrudes inside the PC. The hackers sends out spam emails with malicious attachments that carriers the payloads of the virus. The emails appear to be legitimate subjected as any job offers, invoices, business or government.
The email may further urge users to download the attachment or click on the provided links. Once user does so, the malicious code within starts making the environment for the download of ransomware threat on the target computer.
Once successfully installed on the target system, it modifies various crucial system settings like windows registry, network, boot process and many such. Cephalo Ransomware targets files like documents, audio, video, images, PDFs and any other important file. It uses advanced encryption algorithm like AES or RSA to encrypt the files on the PC. the encrypted files are locked with .ceph extension, which means user can no longer access the files. And they have to decrypt the files using the private key/decryptor to restore them.
Once done, Cephalo ransomware leaves a ransom note named as _READ_ME_.txt that contains the ransom message and instructions to contact the authors and pay the ransom.
The ransom message states that:
– // –
Your files, personal data and identity are now being held for ransom.
This campaign is targeted at pedophiles worldwide, exposing those who are downloading and sharing child pornography.
If the ransom is not paid, your data will never be recovered and you will be exposed to the world.
– // –
Your sensitive files have been encrypted and uploaded to our Tor Hidden Service and will soon be analyzed by our team.
Your files will soon be presented together with your personal data (name, address and contact information), screen captures and webcam captures (if present) to the appropriate authorities and will soon after be released publicly across several platforms.
In order to cease our team from contacting the authorities and releasing the data publicly, a payment is required.
You have up to 72 hours to complete payment, during this time your files and personal data will be prepared for public exposure.
– // –
Requested Amount: 125 USD (current equivalent in Bitcoin).
Payment is demanded in Bitcoin, a form of electronic cash.
Bitcoin Payment Address: –> 193kt6VwHgoedmq7Vpme2EeAmovCobkfBN <– Deadline: –> <– – // – Gathered information is inclusive of; all documents, images, videos and archives found on the system (including removable devices). Browser data such as; browsing/download history, active logins, form/search history and cookies. Screen captures and webcam captures (if present at time of data collection). Storage devices have also been mined for deleted data using recovery tools. – // – https://virtualglobaltaskforce.com/operations/ https://www.europol.europa.eu/crime-areas-and-trends/crime-areas/child-sexual-exploitation https://www.interpol.int/Crimes/Crimes-against-children – // –
The ransom amount demanded by Cephalo Ransomware is 125 USD in the form of Bitcoins within the given deadline of 72 hours. The extortionists further threaten users to expose their private data if the payment is not done within time. This can scare any user and so users may agree to consider paying, but it is not confirmed that users may get their files back after paying. It can be merely a trick to cheat users and earn huge profits.
User must not pay them as this will encourage them to do more such actions. It is recommended to try removing the ransomware program using a powerful anti-malware program and try recovering data from backups or data recovery tools.
How To Remove Cephalo Ransomware virus Without Paying Ransom
In this guide, you will find removal instruction of Cephalo Ransomware virus both manually and using anti-malware tool. At times, virus does not allow the installation or scanning of anti-virus program, so you need to switch to “safe mode with networking”. After that you can try recovery of your data if you have any backup or we have listed some methods which may help you to recover some of your data.
Use Ransomware Defender To Remove Cephalo Ransomware(Recommended)”
Ransomware Defender Overview
ShieldApps’ Ransomware Defender is a specially designed security program for Ransomware threats. This anti-ransomware program detects and permanently blocks any ransomware prior to its attack on the protected system.
Ransomware Defender maintains its threat database and its related information which makes the program proactively detect any sort of threat and notifies users upon detection. This anti-ransomware program works well along with your primary anti-malware applications and does not interfere with its work.
Ransomware Defender is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. And is suitable for both home and business network. It has various prominent features like real-time ransomware detection, scan protection, history cleaner, file transfer tools and automated scans that helps in better detection of ransomware threat and blacklist them from your system permanently. Additionally, this anti-ransomware solution also provides firewall security, internet protection, mobile security, and virtual private network configuration. The solution also offers 24/7 customer support via email.
If you generally do not keep backups of your important files and documents or use your computer or device for storing financial and business details, then it is very important to keep them secure. Here Ransomware Defender is proved as a comprehensive anti-ransomware solution.
Do not compromise with your computer’s security.
Ransomware Defender solution comes with a subscription of $49.95.
Ransomware Defender Features
- Ransomware Protection: This ransomware solution effectively detects, removes and blacklists any ransomware that attempts to attack your system. And always keep monitoring the system within background for any possible attacks.
- Smart Ransomware Detection: Due to its advanced technology of threat detection, you can rest assured of system protection. It will give real-time updates and report of any suspicious activity.
- Internet Security: Protects from any unethical web activity, malicious attempts to breach your internet security, blocks any malicious websites and infected online scripts through ransomware generally enter.
- Scheduled Scan/Clean Action: It provides a user-friendly and fully automated solution for schedule scans at your preferred timings, thus even if you forgot to manually scan your computer you are still protected.
- Secure File Eraser: It’s a very important feature provided by Ransomware defender that empowers you to fix any of your files/applications that you suspect as infected.
- 24/7 PROTECTION: Ransomware Defender provides 24/7 real-time protection due to its auto and schedules scan mechanism that guards your system all the time.
Installing Ransomware Defender
- Click on the link to Download Ransomware Defender.
- Choose the location to save the installation file and click on “save”.
- After the download is completed, double-click on the downloaded file to open.
- If prompted by User Account Control: click on “Yes” button.
- This will open an installation wizard. Click on “Install“. Now simply follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation procedure.
- After Ransomware Defender successfully installs, a new tab or window will open on your browser showing confirmation of the installation.
Run Scan To Detect Cephalo Ransomware threat on your computer
Follow the steps to properly scan and remove Cephalo ransomware threat from your computer:
- Start the scan: Once the installation is completed, the Ransomware defender application window will open. Here you have 3 options for scan: Quick, Deep, and Custom. We suggest doing Deep scanning for the first time for better detection of ransomware threats.
- Let the scanning process be completed: Scan will take a few minutes so be patient and let the scan be fully completed.
- Review the Scan Results and remove the threats: Review the scan results that will show all the threats and malware found during the scan process, you can manually choose to remove the threats one-by-one by clicking on the threat name and select “delete” or simply click on the “Clean All” button.
Manually Find And Remove Cephalo (Recommended Only For Advanced Users)
The manual steps guided below are the links separately made with caution, to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions or open it from another uninfected computer or laptop and follow step-by-step manual removal instruction. Windows OS PDF Guide.
Method 1: Remove Cephalo Ransomware and its associated files from the computer through safe mode with command prompt.
- Reboot your computer to “Safe Mode with Command Prompt”
- End malicious process from “Task Manager“
- Deep Scan the infected computer to ensure complete removal (Recommended)
Method 2: Remove Cephalo Ransomware virus using System Restore Procedure
After that, the ransomware threat should go, but if it is still there, then you need to try another method which is the “System Restore”. Click here to perform System Restore in Windows OS.
How to Restore the Encrypted Files?
Click here to know How you can restore the encrypted file.