What is Cardinal RAT? What harm it can do to my computer? How to remove Cardinal RAT virus?
What is Cardinal RAT?
The Cardinal RAT is a remote access Trojan that is a new variant of the threat that was first spotted in 2017. This malware is managed by group of cyber hacker that successfully carried out 27 attacks in various big organizations. The Cardinal RAT Trojan has a specific purpose of attack and can be used for stealing of sensitive data, hacking networks, extract machine related information and drop additional threats on the system. It allows the hackers to take the control
The recent target of Cardinal RAT is the Israeli fintech companies. Although, the magnitude of the attack is yet to be known but it mainly targets companies and organization dealing in financial, forex trading and crypto-currency.
According to the researches, it is found that the Cardinal RAT is being spread through spam email attachments and links. The phishing email may contain infected attachment laden with payloads of the virus and imitating to be a legitimate one. Thus the user get easily convinced by the subject of the mail and quickly agree to download the attachments. Once the user does so, it macro-enabled document starts running the malicious script that results in downloading of the infection to the device. This is how your system can get Cardinal RAT virus on the computer.
What damages it can do to the targeted device?
Once the Cardinal RAT virus is successfully installed, this malware can be used to collect all sensitive data. The financial companies are the easy target and profitable attacks for threat actors as there are lots of sensitive data that could be recorded for this malware. This can lead to huge loss to the companies. The Cardinal RAT may record the keystrokes, steal login credentials, take screenshot, trace cookies and record web sessions. All these data collected are filtered to dig out sensitive records and send to the hackers. There are similar remote access Trojan that has similar functionality like WebMonitor RAT, ATILLA STEALER and NetSupport Manager RAT virus.
CyberSecurity should be paramount to every company big or small or even individual. As the cyber-criminals have become too advanced and they constantly think ahead to breach the security of the machine.
However, the new version of Cardinal RAT uses more sophisticated method to escape detection from anti-malware. Thus, you need an effective and real-time anti-malware program to remove Cardinal RAT virus.
How to Remove Cardinal RAT Trojan
The removal process of Cardinal RAT Trojan is tough like any other virus. It can leave you puzzled as it does too many modifications to the system internal settings. This may take enough time and patience to do it manually. That even may not ensure you complete removal.
For our readers to understand, we have put our best possible solution that can help to remove this threat. But we suggest you to only try this if you are familiar with system configurations, registries keys and its subkeys values and also boot settings.
While performing the manual solution, be enough cautious and if you get confused at any point of time, them leave it and take the help of powerful anti-malware program to detect and remove the virus. This will not only ensure safe removal of Cardinal RAT Trojan but also restore default system settings.
To Remove Cardinal RAT Trojan, follow these steps:
The manual steps below contains the instructions separately to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions. Or you can open it from another uninfected computer or laptop. And follow step-by-step manual removal instruction: Windows OS PDF Guide.
Step 1:Remove Cardinal RAT Trojan From WindowsOS
Step 2: Remove Trojan Virus Using System Restore Procedure. (Advanced option)
Step 3: Remove Cardinal RAT Trojan using HitmanPro.Alert
HitmanPro.Alert is an advanced anti-malware program that takes on proactive approach towards threat behavior and its activities. Its cloud-based scanning technique is deeply scans the system to the possible locations where threats mostly resides. This is a real-time malware program that delivers protection from latest threat, crypto-malware, ransomware, exploits, spyware, risks related to online transactions.
HitmanPro.Alert is best-in-class that provides various advanced features like:
- Safe Browsing;
- Exploit Mitigation;
- Risk reduction:
- Key-loggers Protection and many such.
Running HitmanPro.Alert on your computer will provide your real-time status, checks the browser integrity and alerts or any suspicious activity. So that you can have a safe browsing and online transactions. Read the full review of HitmanPro.Alert here.
Steps To Install And Run HitmanPro.Alert
- Click on the provided link to download HitmanPro.Alert anti-malware;
- Now, open the download folder or where your program is downloaded to locate “hmpalert3”;
- Click on it, to begin the installation;
- It will ask your User Account control, if prompted click on “yes”;
- The download should begin shortly. HitmanPro.Alert window will appear, where you need to choose the options:
Choose Protection level as Maximum
And tick the other boxes and finally click on “Install”.
HitmanPro.Alert only takes 5MB of your memory and is very quick to install.
- After the installation is complete, the scan will start. First scan may take up some minutes, as it will scan the whole computer.
- The scan results are displayed. Carefully look down the list. You can here, the scan has found 1 Riskware and thousands of traces which can be risky.
- You can select the threat to delete, quranantize, ignore or, mark as safe. If you want to remove all the threats, then simply click on the “Next” button below.
- HitmanPro.Alert first creates a restore point and then starts the removal process. This helps to recover from any damage.
So, now you are done, with the removal process with HitmanPro.Alert.
Step 4: System Restore Procedure
- After Removal of Cardinal RAT Trojan, it is important to restore the damages done by it. As it attacks windows registry to add its keys and values to execute as the system starts. All these keys may help the program to regenerate its codes. To repair the registry and restore to its previous state, we recommend the “Reimage Tool“, that cleans all the traces of threat and fix all windows errors.
Best Practices To avoid Such Infections
- Keep a secure firewall for the system. This will help block any unwanted internet connections to your device.
- Do not open spam mail attachments from unknown sender. This is the common way through which malicious programs intrude inside. Thus, we should be cautious while getting mails from non-trusted sources.
- Keep the software program updates, so that it does not have any security patches.
- Be very cautious while downloading any freeware from third-party websites. Always download software programs from official websites. Thus avoiding any accidental download of Adware/PUPs.
- Do not use public wi-fi for online transactions, as they are not fully secure and can infect the device.
- Use a powerful anti-virus program that will keep track of the security.
By following the above tips, you can avoid viruses or unwanted programs entering on your computer. Hope this article is helpful to you.