You landed here, it means your files on the PC may be encrypted with .CAGO extension, this is an indication of your computer infected with ransomware threat.
Name: CAGO Ransomware
CAGO ransomware is a file-encrypting malware that named after the extension .CAGO it uses to append to the encrypted files. It encrypts the files stored on the system using strong cipher algorithm. Thus the files like documents, images, audio and video are no more accessible to the users. Like other ransomware, it also aims to extort money from the users by forcing them to purchase the decryption tool from the ransomware authors. CAGO ransomware leaves a ransom note that informs users about the encryption and instructions to contact the authors and restore the files.
The ransom note of .CAGO ransomware is named as “DECRYPT_INFO.txt”. The message within the note states:
Hello, dear friend.
All your files are encrypted with a unique key.
Are you sure you want to recover all your files ?
Write us an email: email@example.com
Enter your unique ID in the message: [Redacted]
The ransom note does say much, but a clear message about the encryption. The victims need to contact to the authors of the ransomware via firstname.lastname@example.org to get the further instructions about the recovery of files.
.CAGO Files Virus spreads via infectious payloads that may be carried through spam email attachments, spam java-script codes within malicious pages or downloading pirated software programs.
- Spam email attachments: The cyber-criminals shoots out spam emails in bulk to random email addresses. They are subjected as an invoice, shipment details, job offers, fax details from employees and similar these. But before downloading any attachments to link within mails from unknown sender, you should always verify its source.
- Freeware downloads: There are many malicious website that bundles additional programs within. These freeware downloads may contain fake program codes or payload carriers that can drop such ransomware installers within.
- Social media links and file-sharing platforms: We spend lots of time, checking out new stuff on the social media platforms. But all the link we visit is not safe, they make contain hidden scripts that can initiate malicious activity on our system.
Must Read the 5 Security Tools to Help Protect Yourself From Ransomware.
The .CAGO Ransomware targets various important files on the system and uses strong encryption algorithm to encrypt files. The encryption algorithm uses a pair of asymmetric pair of keys to lock the files- the public-private key. The public key is generated for every victim of the .CAGO Files virus that is also known as unique ID for individual. The encryption tool generates the private key based on the public key of the user. Thus, without a pair of keys, the files cannot be opened. This is how the extortionist take advantage of victims and force them to pay for the restoration of files allegedly encrypted by the ransomware.
But in any circumstances, you should not agree to pay the ransom fee. And remove the .CAGO ransomware using anti-ransomware tool. After removal, you should restore your files from backup or by using data recovery tools.
How To Remove CAGO Ransomware virus Without Paying Ransom
In this guide, you will find removal instruction of CAGO Ransomware virus both manually and using anti-malware tool. At times, virus does not allow the installation or scanning of anti-virus program, so you need to switch to “safe mode with networking”. After that you can try recovery of your data if you have any backup or we have listed some methods which may help you to recover some of your data.
Use Ransomware Defender To Remove CAGO Ransomware(Recommended)”
Ransomware Defender Overview
ShieldApps’ Ransomware Defender is a specially designed security program for Ransomware threats. This anti-ransomware program detects and permanently blocks any ransomware prior to its attack on the protected system.
Ransomware Defender maintains its threat database and its related information which makes the program proactively detect any sort of threat and notifies users upon detection. This anti-ransomware program works well along with your primary anti-malware applications and does not interfere with its work.
Ransomware Defender is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. And is suitable for both home and business network. It has various prominent features like real-time ransomware detection, scan protection, history cleaner, file transfer tools and automated scans that helps in better detection of ransomware threat and blacklist them from your system permanently. Additionally, this anti-ransomware solution also provides firewall security, internet protection, mobile security, and virtual private network configuration. The solution also offers 24/7 customer support via email.
If you generally do not keep backups of your important files and documents or use your computer or device for storing financial and business details, then it is very important to keep them secure. Here Ransomware Defender is proved as a comprehensive anti-ransomware solution.
Do not compromise with your computer’s security.
Ransomware Defender solution comes with a subscription of $49.95.
Ransomware Defender Features
- Ransomware Protection: This ransomware solution effectively detects, removes and blacklists any ransomware that attempts to attack your system. And always keep monitoring the system within background for any possible attacks.
- Smart Ransomware Detection: Due to its advanced technology of threat detection, you can rest assured of system protection. It will give real-time updates and report of any suspicious activity.
- Internet Security: Protects from any unethical web activity, malicious attempts to breach your internet security, blocks any malicious websites and infected online scripts through ransomware generally enter.
- Scheduled Scan/Clean Action: It provides a user-friendly and fully automated solution for schedule scans at your preferred timings, thus even if you forgot to manually scan your computer you are still protected.
- Secure File Eraser: It’s a very important feature provided by Ransomware defender that empowers you to fix any of your files/applications that you suspect as infected.
- 24/7 PROTECTION: Ransomware Defender provides 24/7 real-time protection due to its auto and schedules scan mechanism that guards your system all the time.
Installing Ransomware Defender
- Click on the link to Download Ransomware Defender.
- Choose the location to save the installation file and click on “save”.
- After the download is completed, double-click on the downloaded file to open.
- If prompted by User Account Control: click on “Yes” button.
- This will open an installation wizard. Click on “Install“. Now simply follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation procedure.
- After Ransomware Defender successfully installs, a new tab or window will open on your browser showing confirmation of the installation.
Run Scan To Detect CAGO Ransomware threat on your computer
Note: Before starting the removal you need to keep the backup of any files that are encrypted. Secondly, keeps a copy of the ransom note to some other computer or flash drives. As security experts may realize the decryption key for the threats later. So, you can use the public key to match with the decryption.
Follow the steps to properly scan and remove CAGO ransomware threat from your computer:
- Start the scan: Once the installation is completed, the Ransomware defender application window will open. Here you have 3 options for scan: Quick, Deep, and Custom. We suggest doing Deep scanning for the first time for better detection of ransomware threats.
- Let the scanning process be completed: Scan will take a few minutes so be patient and let the scan be fully completed.
- Review the Scan Results and remove the threats: Review the scan results that will show all the threats and malware found during the scan process, you can manually choose to remove the threats one-by-one by clicking on the threat name and select “delete” or simply click on the “Clean All” button.
Manually Find And Remove CAGO (Recommended Only For Advanced Users)
The manual steps guided below are the links separately made with caution, to avoid any confusion to our readers. Please follow the links below and perform them one by one. If you are going for the manual removal process, then we recommend you to print/download these instructions or open it from another uninfected computer or laptop and follow step-by-step manual removal instruction. Windows OS PDF Guide.
Method 1: Remove CAGO Ransomware and its associated files from the computer through safe mode with command prompt.
- Reboot your computer to “Safe Mode with Command Prompt”
- End malicious process from “Task Manager“
- Deep Scan the infected computer to ensure complete removal (Recommended)
Method 2: Remove CAGO Ransomware virus using System Restore Procedure
After that, the ransomware threat should go, but if it is still there, then you need to try another method which is the “System Restore”. Click here to perform System Restore in Windows OS.
How to Restore the Encrypted Files?
Click here to know How you can restore the encrypted file.