Browser Redirect Google Chrome Issue (Complete Guide)
Browser redirect issue to very common to all sorts of web browsers. Whether you are using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, MS Edge or safari. There are lots of annoying stuffs we encounter while surfing that bothers us. Sometimes, we click on any ads, visit any page from any recommended link or download any extensions to enhance our surfing.
But these activities sometimes turn out to be a nightmare for us. As these freeware can just be a piece of Adware, browser hijacker or malware that silently slip inside our device.
Any of the above consequences can lead to browser redirect issue. Other symptoms of an infected browser may appear as:
Symptoms of Infected browser
- Browser becomes unstable and takes too much time to load web pages.
- The search engine may redirect to third-party sites to display results.
- Plenty of intrusive ads, links, banners and pop-ups leads to frequent redirection.
- Unknown tabs automatically opens up and may urge downloads.
- Browser consuming too much CPU as well as bandwidth.
- Sometimes pages may crash and browser become unresponsive.
So rather than wasting your time, let’s quickly look over to the solution.
Here we have summed up various manual methods of which one or the other will surely work for you. Even if you fail to achieve the results from manual methods, then go for automatic browser redirect removal scanning tool. This will ensure complete removal of any Adware or browser hijacker program hiding in the form of extensions or fake programs.
So, here is the solution for Browser redirect Google Chrome.
How To Stop Browser Redirect Google Chrome Issue
To Stop Browser Redirect Google Chrome Issue, follow the steps below:
- Remove target URL from the Google Chrome’s shortcut
- Change Automatic Proxy Configuration Settings
- Block URL using Windows Hosts File
- Reset Chrome to its default settings
Method 1: Removing target URL from the Google Chrome’s shortcut
Many times, simply removing extensions and uninstalling programs does not completely remove the annoying stuff. You may tried it lots of time and you are again being redirected to phishing web pages then, here is what you need to do. Some harmful programs ads their target URL to the browser’s shortcut which allow the malicious URL to launch automatically.
Here is how to can remove the target URL from browser shortcut:
- On your desktop screen, right-click on your chrome browser icon and choose Properties.
- In the Target field, you should only see “C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe“. If you see any link after “/chrome.exe” then you need to remove it.
- Remove the argument after that then click on “Apply” and “Ok”.
Note: If the tough virus let you delete the link from there. So follow the steps carefully to remove it.
- You need to locate the file location, at the bottom click on “Open File Location”.
- On the location, right click on the Chrome and choose “Sent to” and then select Desktop (create shortcut).
- The new uninfected shortcut will be created that should have any redirect links.
- Delete your infected Chrome shortcut and also end any running process “chrome.exe” from task manager window.
- Now close all the window and restart your chrome browser.
Method 2: Changing Automatic Proxy Configuration Settings
To remove automatic proxy configuration URL Script settings follow these steps:
- Open Chrome Menu by clicking on “three vertical dots” on top-right corner. Or simply type “http://chrome://settings” in the address bar.
- Now click on “Advanced” at the bottom of the settings page. Under System section, click on “Open proxy settings”. This will open Internet properties window.
- Now click on “LAN settings” button at the bottom.
- Under Automatic configuration, remove any URL if present within the “use automatic configuration script” field.
- Now uncheck both the options of “Automatically detect settings” and “Use automatic configuration script”.
- Close everything and restart your chrome browser.
Method 3: Blocking URL using Windows Hosts File
- Open Notepad (Admin mode). Right click on the application and choose “Run as Administration”;
- Click on “File” and choose “Open“;
- Search for “hosts” file or type “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc” in the search bar and choose the file to open;
- In the hosts file, you can add the IP addresses and URLs you want to block completely.
- This will block the annoying URL.
This trick will also help you to block any URL you don’t want to visit on your browsers.
Method 4: Resetting Chrome to its default settings
If the above method does not work then try resetting your Chrome’s settings to its default. Click here to follow the step-by-step instruction to reset chrome browser.
Method 5: Scanning the device to remove any unwanted/harmful programs.
Sometimes, Viruses and PUPs makes manual removal tough. As they have became more sophisticated and attempts clever approaches to hide within the system. Likewise, Secure Search Adware may accomplish various changes to the system settings by adding registry keys, program files, user policies and task manager start-ups.
So, it is better to use a smarter detection tool that efficiently detect all its files and components and permanently remove from your system.
Now, quickly run this powerful scanner and removal tool. This will deeply scan your system and infected browsers to remove any sort of threat.
Hope this article help you to solve browser redirect Google Chrome issue. If we have missed any trick then do write us in the comment.